ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renewing GNIB card and Work Authorization

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

litol
Newly Registered

Renewing GNIB card and Work Authorization

Post by litol » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:35 pm

Hi,

I've read through some of the boards here and I'm a little confused as to what I have to do to renew my work authorization. I currently have stamp 4 and a work authorization ... both expire in december. It sounds as though I can renew my GNIB card at the Garda station but I'm unsure as to where I should renew my work authorisation and how long before expiry each should be renewed.

Thanks for any info!

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:15 pm

litol
Newly Registered

Post by litol » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:00 pm

Hi Archigabe,

thanks for that. Reading that thread renewal looks straightforward ... reading www.entemp.ie I was under the impression that I'ld have to pay €1500 to renew my work authorisation but there's no mention of this fee in the posted thread, do I need to pay this €1500 fee when I renew my GNIB car as well?? Thanks again for any help!

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:22 pm

This page doesnt seem to mention any fees.

http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits ... sation.htm

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:31 am

litol wrote:Hi Archigabe,

thanks for that. Reading that thread renewal looks straightforward ... reading www.entemp.ie I was under the impression that I'ld have to pay €1500 to renew my work authorisation but there's no mention of this fee in the posted thread, do I need to pay this €1500 fee when I renew my GNIB car as well?? Thanks again for any help!
forget about the dept of enterprise. once when you got your first work authorization. the renewal has nothing to do with the dept of enterprise. it is up to the gnib to renew it or not. like i mentioned in the other thread. bring the documents and show up in the gnib. pay your 100euro. thats all you need to pay. if i were you, dont even bother to change from your work authorization to green card because it serves the same purpose but you have to pay 1500 euro to each time when you change employer and work authorization just 100 euro every 2 years. so take your pick!

litol
Newly Registered

Post by litol » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:51 am

Hi mktsoi,

Thank you for your advice. So I will just head to the Garda in Dublin and renew my GNIB card that's all I need.

Do you have any idea how long before the expired date I should go to do
so? If my GNIB card states December 02 as expired date.

Thanks a lot.
:D

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:38 am

litol wrote:Hi mktsoi,

Thank you for your advice. So I will just head to the Garda in Dublin and renew my GNIB card that's all I need.

Do you have any idea how long before the expired date I should go to do
so? If my GNIB card states December 02 as expired date.

Thanks a lot.
:D
try not to go more then 2 weeks before it expires. they wont renew it for you if you go a month before it expires. plus, you have to pay 100 euro for 2 years. why would you want to go in early and get a month short in permission to remain stamp. if i were you, just go in few days before your permission to remain stamp expires. in your case, like you said, if your stamp is expiring in december 2nd. just go in the last week of november.

litol
Newly Registered

Post by litol » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:32 pm

Mktsoi,

Thank you for all the detailed answers.
I will do so. Cheers and All the best. :lol:

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:13 pm

There are additional benefits to apply for a 'green card' as apposed to continuing on the work authorisation, such as 'permanent residency' after 2 years (which is actually an indefinite renewal of the permit). Depending on how long you have lived in Ireland, I would recommend paying the fee and make use of the additional benefits associated with it. If you've already lived in Ireland for more than 3 years, it makes more sense to simply renew the work authorisation.

Now, before anyone goes off at a tangent please familiarise yourself with the guide

http://www.entemp.ie/publications/labou ... ncards.pdf

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:16 am

joesoap101 wrote:There are additional benefits to apply for a 'green card' as apposed to continuing on the work authorisation, such as 'permanent residency' after 2 years (which is actually an indefinite renewal of the permit). Depending on how long you have lived in Ireland, I would recommend paying the fee and make use of the additional benefits associated with it. If you've already lived in Ireland for more than 3 years, it makes more sense to simply renew the work authorisation.

Now, before anyone goes off at a tangent please familiarise yourself with the guide

http://www.entemp.ie/publications/labou ... ncards.pdf
hi Joe

you got that right. the dept enterprise have this green card plan came on some months ago. indefinite RENEWAL of the permit is the sentance. people on the work authorization is able to renew their authorization or work visa as long as they still working under the same conditions as when they issued the work autorization/visa (€50 for the authorization plus €100 for the gnib card now). this is same as indefinite renewal as well but i guess the irish government can be cheeky and might say no more for the work authorization/visa holder one day and not going to renew it anymore for anyone and force everyone goes on to the green card scheme(scam) instead. as far as i can see it. the green card scheme is same as the work authorization/visa but with a big price tag on it. also, they using the wrong term for the green card as well. they mentioned indefinite renewal for the permit as permanent residence. last time when i spoke to the people in dept of enterprise. they dont even have any info for the permanent resdency they mentioned in the green card info published in the dept of enteprise website. they told me that phone dept of justice for the info. i guess they doing the best to just pass the book to other dept instead of dealing with the problem again.

litol
Newly Registered

Post by litol » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:45 pm

Hi all,

I amconfused again.

I've been living here only 2 years time. And this will be my first time
dealing with the renewal.

Do I have a choice for what I want to renew or they will randomly
decide for me when I am heading to the Gardai ???

I am not capable to pay the 1500 Euro fee.
I think I would choose the cheaper
option (50 for Auth. + 100 for GNIB card)

Please, any advise will be welcome.
Thank you.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:00 pm

litol wrote:Hi all,

I amconfused again.

I've been living here only 2 years time. And this will be my first time
dealing with the renewal.

Do I have a choice for what I want to renew or they will randomly
decide for me when I am heading to the Gardai ???

I am not capable to pay the 1500 Euro fee.
I think I would choose the cheaper
option (50 for Auth. + 100 for GNIB card)

Please, any advise will be welcome.
Thank you.
Hi litol

just ignore my last post and go renew your work authorization like i mentioned before. in your case. it is only €100 for the gnib card with the permission to remain in your passport. you do not need to renew your work authorization. once when work authorization issued to the holder. the only department you have to deal with is the gnib, no one else. so just go in the last week in novermber and renw it. my renewal of my work authorization is up in december this year as well, so i might see you in the gnib office as well, so good luck.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:00 pm

Well their policy is that if you have a 'green card' employment permit for 2 years you can apply to the DOJ for LTR. If you're on a work authorisation then you have to wait 5 years before being eligible to apply for LTR. Some people are waiting up to a year to have their LTR processed but even taking this into account, obtaining LTR after 3 years as apposed to 6 years- the benefits are strikingly obvious. However, like I said previously- this would really only be important to people who have not had a work authorisation for long.

The term green card and permanent residency in the Irish context is a total anomaly because your 'permanent residency' is merely an extension of leave to remain for 5 years, and the green card is just a regular work permit with a fancy name. They are too hung up on catch phrases!

Everyone should decide for themselves which route to take, renewal of authorisation or applying for a green card.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:41 pm

joesoap101 wrote:Well their policy is that if you have a 'green card' employment permit for 2 years you can apply to the DOJ for LTR. If you're on a work authorisation then you have to wait 5 years before being eligible to apply for LTR. Some people are waiting up to a year to have their LTR processed but even taking this into account, obtaining LTR after 3 years as apposed to 6 years- the benefits are strikingly obvious. However, like I said previously- this would really only be important to people who have not had a work authorisation for long.

The term green card and permanent residency in the Irish context is a total anomaly because your 'permanent residency' is merely an extension of leave to remain for 5 years, and the green card is just a regular work permit with a fancy name. They are too hung up on catch phrases!

Everyone should decide for themselves which route to take, renewal of authorisation or applying for a green card.
hi joe

did they tell you this or did they publish that in their website itself? i was reading the green card document from dept of enterprise myself. if people can obtain LTR after 2 years. why would the dept of enterprise still required people to renew their green card after 2 years?

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:35 am

hi Litol

if you want to keep your work authorization, just do what i mentioned before and go renew it. you have few more months to go anyway before you need to renew it. not too many people is sure about the permanent residency in green card. if like joe mentioned, after 2 years holding the green card then you can apply for long term residency. green card would be an option to go for instead of keeping your work authorization. i think you better go into the immigrant council in dublin and check with them before you switching to green card. immigrant council would have alot more info. so good luck

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:38 am

joesoap101 wrote:Well their policy is that if you have a 'green card' employment permit for 2 years you can apply to the DOJ for LTR. If you're on a work authorisation then you have to wait 5 years before being eligible to apply for LTR. Some people are waiting up to a year to have their LTR processed but even taking this into account, obtaining LTR after 3 years as apposed to 6 years- the benefits are strikingly obvious. However, like I said previously- this would really only be important to people who have not had a work authorisation for long.

Hi Litol

I was on the phone with dept of justice last friday. if i were you, go to immigrant council and check with them before you swtich it to green card. what joe mentioned in his post was right according from the document published from dept of enterprise. it mentioned that the green card holder can apply for long term residency after holding 2 years valid green card. i asked the dept of justice last friday and they told me that no, thats not the case. they still going by the old rules that a person can only apply for long term residency after 5 years working legally in ireland. from what that person told me. i can think of 2 things here. first, the dept of justice might have someone on the phone that dont know what they talking about which is usual in the government dept here in ireland. second, this is the worst case. dept of enterprise might had brought in something that dept of justice did not have any prior knowledge of that they should grant long term residency to the green card holder after 2 years.

so if i were you, renew your work authorization and check out what joe mentioned about 2 years green card and long term residency after 2 years with dept of enterprise.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:25 pm

Hi Litol

i found out all the info now and you make the jugdement youself that if you should stay on work authorization or switch to green card, ok?

i spoke to the people in dept of enterprise today. to renew your work authorization. you just do what i mentioned in the other post. show up in the GNIB with a letter from your emplyer saying how much you getting pay and you have a job, your p60 for preivous years or p21 from the previous year will do as well, your passport and you current gnib card. go there. pay €100 then get your 2 years stamp again. once when your work authorization renewed. you can stay with the same employer as you wish or you can change to whoever you want to work for without applying for the new work authorization within the 2 years period that from the new GNIB stamp. ok? thats pretty much about work authorization. €100 is not bad for it.

now now, here is the green card. here is the link for the guildline for green card from dept of enterprise:

http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits/guidelines.htm

i have been told on the phone today by dept of enterprise. here is how the green card works. you apply for the green card. they will give you 2 years green card permit and they prefer you stay with the same employer for the first 2 years. application fees for that is €1000 euro. the application fees can be pay by you or your employer. let say you want to change employer after the first year, you or your new employer has to pay €1000 euro again to apply for a new green card. if you stayed with the same employer for the first 2 years and want to continue on with the same employer. then you put in an application to renew your green card. the dept of enterprise will give you a new green card for 5 years and the dept of enterprise call it RENEW INDEFINITE even it only has 5 years limit on it. if you want to change employer after the RENEW INDEFINITE green card issued to you. you or your new employer has to put in a new application for a new green card which the dept of enterprise will charge a €1000 euro for application fees again!!!!!!!!!!! so every time when you want to change employer. you or your new employer has to pay €1000 before they give you a new green card.

about the residency. if you read the green card guildline published by the dept of enterprise. it said there will be a pathway to permanent residency after the 2 years as green card holder but it never said how much time or when the dept of justice will give you the so call permanent residency or long term residency. according from dept justice person i spoke to last friday over the phone. he told me that no one will be granted long term residency( or so call permanent residency in ireland ) unless the applicant has resided in ireland for 5 years or more. and the person i spoke to in dept of enterprise confirm that. so you have to hold the green card for 5 years before you apply for long term residency.

on the other hand, let say if you go for the green card and they give you a 5 years green card on your second one. what do you think when you go down to renew you GNIB card. do you think the GNIB will give you a 5 years GNIB card or do you think the GNIB will give you a year or 2 and ask you to come back to get further extension of it. thats another 2 to 3 hundred euro right there if the GNIB not giving you the full 5 years GNIB card based on you 5 years green card. just think about it.

thats what i can understand in my own situation. i am a work authorization holder like you but i have been here little bit longer then you. the green card just a more expensive work permit. it ties you to the employer if you cannot find another job offer. you have to pay expensive application fees every time when you want to change employer. the length for green card holder to apply for long term residency is same the holder of work authorization. the work authoization holder can change job anytime wihtout apply again after every 2 years. it is cheap and easy to renew. you dont have to go to dept of enterprise and dept of justice to renew the work authorization. just by going to the GNIB every 2 years. but if you hold the green card. you have to go throught 2 departments all the time.

as far as i can see it. green card just another money making thing invented by the irish gangster to make more money out from the foreign workers. so if i were you, i will definitely keeping the work authorization and think twice before you switch over to the green card. if you dont believe me, phone the dept of enterprise helpline at 01 417 5333 and enjoy the waiting before someone picks the phone!!!!!

litol
Newly Registered

Post by litol » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:38 am

Hi mktsoi,

Thank you for all the details you've written down for me.
I fully believe you. I also think the green-card is a mafia-business
on those poor-immigrants like us. I came here with nothing, empty
hands, starting from zero my life. So, how can they make money that much on immigrants like me?

How lucky, I am under a Work Authorization like you, and the
thing is, I am in IT, so I jump jobs very often...I have already changed
3 companies in my first 2 years here in Ireland. So, now, when it comes
to the time of my first renew of GNIB, I am so afraid that they will bother
me of changing the employers without having renewed it when I have changed.... But, ya as you said, with W-A, we can change employers,
so I feel a bit better now.

I think I will just go with the 2more years of W-A, open the doors for changing jobs if my job goes bad, I don't need that much a green-card, for what? If I have to pay 1000Euro and being stuck with 1 company...
and another 1K Euro everytime I have to renew it again...

I count to stay here in Ireland for lifetime, but I wil take only step by step,
I will proceed only with Work-Authorization for my first 4-5-6 years,
and after that, I can apply for green card or to be Irish citizen etc...

Thank you for all the details again.
litol.

litol
Newly Registered

Post by litol » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:43 am

BTW,

I found this site is really helpful with great people's help. Everyone
provides inputs and information, really helpful. Especially, in my case,
I am new to Ireland, so I really found the information is so important
to me to know the procedures how it works.

Thanks again.
litol

vinay shanthi
Member of Standing

Post by vinay shanthi » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:02 pm

mktsoi wrote:

Hi Litol

I was on the phone with dept of justice last friday. if i were you, go to immigrant council and check with them before you swtich it to green card. what joe mentioned in his post was right according from the document published from dept of enterprise. it mentioned that the green card holder can apply for long term residency after holding 2 years valid green card. i asked the dept of justice last friday and they told me that no, thats not the case. they still going by the old rules that a person can only apply for long term residency after 5 years working legally in ireland. from what that person told me. i can think of 2 things here. first, the dept of justice might have someone on the phone that dont know what they talking about which is usual in the government dept here in ireland. second, this is the worst case. dept of enterprise might had brought in something that dept of justice did not have any prior knowledge of that they should grant long term residency to the green card holder after 2 years.

so if i were you, renew your work authorization and check out what joe mentioned about 2 years green card and long term residency after 2 years with dept of enterprise.
thanks MKTSOI for all the detailed explanations. obviously things are not as simple as the green card scheme is marketed as. thanks for the early warning. will let all i know as well about this.

litol
Newly Registered

Post by litol » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:20 am

Hi mktsoi and joesoap101,

Thank you for keeping me updated with the information you have got from
the Justice Department.

I think in November, I will just simply renew my Work Authorization for
this time (on the expired date after 2 years) and this new WA wil be
good for another 2 years, then I will apply for the
Permanent Residency or Green card on the next 2 years or so.

For the moment, I don't think I have the privileges to apply for neither
both of them.

But ya, I don't like to pay too much neither (1500 Euro or so...)

Question: Do you know how much costs a Green Card?

Thanks again,
Litol :D [/u]

lemon@lemon.za.net
Newly Registered

GNIB

Post by lemon@lemon.za.net » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:30 pm

Hi all,

I am a bit confused now - I got my Green Card, arrived in Dublin and applied for my GNIB card. The Garda told me that it would be valid for a year and after that I have to renew it again and pay another 100 euro's. But from what I read is that the GNIB should be given for two years.

Thnx

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Re: GNIB

Post by mktsoi » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:45 am

lemon@lemon.za.net wrote:Hi all,

I am a bit confused now - I got my Green Card, arrived in Dublin and applied for my GNIB card. The Garda told me that it would be valid for a year and after that I have to renew it again and pay another 100 euro's. But from what I read is that the GNIB should be given for two years.

Thnx
did you read anything from the dept of enterprise saying that you will be given 2 years permission to remain? if not, the chances you getting 2 years out from the GNIB is very slim. they trying to get another 100 euro out from you, thats as simple as that!

enjoy your time in this wonderful country!

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:46 am

litol wrote:Hi mktsoi and joesoap101,

Thank you for keeping me updated with the information you have got from
the Justice Department.

I think in November, I will just simply renew my Work Authorization for
this time (on the expired date after 2 years) and this new WA wil be
good for another 2 years, then I will apply for the
Permanent Residency or Green card on the next 2 years or so.

For the moment, I don't think I have the privileges to apply for neither
both of them.

But ya, I don't like to pay too much neither (1500 Euro or so...)

Question: Do you know how much costs a Green Card?

Thanks again,
Litol :D [/u]
litol

did you read the previous posts? you only have to pay 1500 euro when you are on the green card. if you just renewing your work authorization, it will only cost 100 euro for your new GNIB card!