ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Residency for Non EU parent of Irish citizen child

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Billi92
Newly Registered
Ireland

Residency for Non EU parent of Irish citizen child

Post by Billi92 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:23 pm

Hi all
I’m looking for some advice. I’m currently living in NI with my Irish spouse for 3.5 years. I am non-EU visa required national. We are expecting our first child in the new year. We don’t plan on staying in NI for too long.
If my spouse and baby move south (ROI) is there any way I can get Irish residency permit to move in with my family based on my Irish citizen child? What is the process and how long does it take?
I’ve searched and searched online but couldn’t find relevant information on Inis or anywhere else. I have already applied for Irish citizenship but have not heard anything yet it’s been 4+ months. Would getting the Irish residency permit be quicker than the citizenship? I just want to move in with my family asap.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Residency for Non EU parent of Irish citizen child

Post by meself2 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:49 pm

Billi92 wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:23 pm
If my spouse and baby move south (ROI) is there any way I can get Irish residency permit to move in with my family based on my Irish citizen child?
Why not as a spouse of Irish citizen?
Billi92 wrote:
Would getting the Irish residency permit be quicker than the citizenship? I just want to move in with my family asap.
Yes, citizenship takes about 1,5 years to complete, often more.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Billi92
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Billi92 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:05 am

I have already applied for citizenship based on spouse of Irish citizen. But obviously it takes a long time now so wondering what other options I have?

Billi92
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Billi92 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:06 am

I have already applied for citizenship based on spouse of Irish citizen. But obviously it takes a long time now so wondering what other options I have?

meself2 wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:49 pm
Billi92 wrote:
If my spouse and baby move south (ROI) is there any way I can get Irish residency permit to move in with my family based on my Irish citizen child?
Why not as a spouse of Irish citizen?
Billi92 wrote:
Would getting the Irish residency permit be quicker than the citizenship? I just want to move in with my family asap.
Yes, citizenship takes about 1,5 years to complete, often more.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:19 am

Billi92 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:05 am
Well, you don't have to be a citizen to reside with your spouse in Ireland, you can get a residence permit based on that - https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/r ... pouse.html for example
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Billi92
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Billi92 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:56 pm

Yes I’m aware of this. The reason we are in NI with UK residency permit is because we didn’t meet the criteria for the join family D visa and still don’t as spouse is not working in Ireland. All these rules and regulations seem to be based on the assumption that one must be living in ROI’s 26 counties. :roll:

meself2 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:19 am
Billi92 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:05 am
Well, you don't have to be a citizen to reside with your spouse in Ireland, you can get a residence permit based on that - https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/r ... pouse.html for example

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:38 am

Billi92 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:56 pm
Yes I’m aware of this. The reason we are in NI with UK residency permit is because we didn’t meet the criteria for the join family D visa and still don’t as spouse is not working in Ireland. All these rules and regulations seem to be based on the assumption that one must be living in ROI’s 26 counties. :roll:
I'm not in a position to check immigration laws and policies at the moment, but do they definitely expect money to be earned in Ireland? I don't have answer to this question. Maybe past earnings plus a confirmed offer will fly?

For the Irish citizen child it's a similar thing again, as child has to be living in Ireland. They mention you can apply by post if you have no permission but at the same time FAQ states you have to be in the country to apply, so lots of questions.
https://www.irishimmigration.ie/my-situ ... zen-child/

You can go study/work route as well, just for yourself.

mitzy2022
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by mitzy2022 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:17 pm

Billi92 wrote:
Hi all
I’m looking for some advice. I’m currently living in NI with my Irish spouse for 3.5 years. I am non-EU visa required national. We are expecting our first child in the new year. We don’t plan on staying in NI for too long.
If my spouse and baby move south (ROI) is there any way I can get Irish residency permit to move in with my family based on my Irish citizen child? What is the process and how long does it take?
I’ve searched and searched online but couldn’t find relevant information on Inis or anywhere else. I have already applied for Irish citizenship but have not heard anything yet it’s been 4+ months. Would getting the Irish residency permit be quicker than the citizenship? I just want to move in with my family asap.
Hi,

Your story is very similar to what we are going to do,
I'm Irish and my wife is non eu who has uk pre-settled status, we have been living in Northern Ireland with 4 years and last year my wife had a baby girl who is an Irish citizen also.

My wife applied for Irish Citizenship in April but as you say it's a long wait for approval could take up to 3 years.

We plan to move back down south also as quickly as possible so my wife has applied for an Irish visit visa which she has not got yet but when she does we will move there and from what i can gather she can get a stamp 4 permission to stay, we will have to make an appointment with the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service Registration Office,

I'm hoping she can get the stamp 4 to stay but even if she does not she won't be leaving the country because she needs to take care of her Irish baby so i'm sure they can't make her leave.

I'm not sure if her Irish citizenship can still be continued but i have a feeling it can be because she will still be living on the Island of Ireland but maybe i may need to see some immigration solicitor about this but will wait and see.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:31 pm

mitzy2022 wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:17 pm
We plan to move back down south also as quickly as possible so my wife has applied for an Irish visit visa which she has not got yet but when she does we will move there and from what i can gather she can get a stamp 4 permission to stay, we will have to make an appointment with the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service Registration Office,
https://www.irishimmigration.ie/my-situ ... al-scheme/
If you do require a visa to travel to Ireland and you have entered the State on a “D-Join” visa, you and your spouse/civil partner may attend at your local immigration office for permission to remain as the Spouse of an Irish National.
You may be eligible to apply to Spouse of Irish National Unit, Immigration Service Delivery (address below) directly if you:

Have no current permission to be in the State, or

Have entered on the incorrect visa (‘C’ visa), or
You'd have to apply in writing to ISD first and wait for a while until they give you an answer, if you'll try to do this on a visit visa; straight to Burgh Quay is for someone that arrived on Join Family. Not sure why you didn't go through Join Family visa route.

mitzy2022
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by mitzy2022 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:12 pm

You'd have to apply in writing to ISD first and wait for a while until they give you an answer, if you'll try to do this on a visit visa; straight to Burgh Quay is for someone that arrived on Join Family. Not sure why you didn't go through Join Family visa route.
[/quote]

Because it takes upto 12 months to get approval and also i work online self employed where a chunk of my salary wouldn't be seen so i wouldn't be able to show the financials that they require. we want to move as soon as possible so have no time to be waiting around for approval or not.