ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Residency... how long does it take?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Celetta
Newly Registered

Residency... how long does it take?

Post by Celetta » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:52 pm

Hello everyone!
My husband (german) and I (argentinian) are planning to move to Ireland. We've been living in Germany for the past 13 months and he's recently received some job offers so we've decided to relocate. I am not a EU citizen but I do have a residency and work permit issued in Germany and valid till 2009 (actually, I got that only two weeks after I requested it!)
I've been reading some of the posts and it looks bad, really bad. I think I read too much :? because I am really confused now, so here's my question:

How long would it take for me to get a residency permit? :?:

That's all I need to know. Thanks in advance :D

seabhcan

Post by seabhcan » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:03 pm

Hi Celetta,

I recently moved back to Ireland from the UK. I'm Irish and my wife is non-EU. She had a UK residency permit (which was a total nightmare to get! It took 6 months)

When we came to Ireland and went to get Stamp 4 (residency) they took about 10 minutes to issue it. Couldn't have been quicker, really.

We walked into the GNIB office in Dublin (no appointment), waited in the queue for our turn, went up to the window and explained our story, showed passports and documents... 10 minutes later we had the stamp and green card valid until 2010.

So there are nightmare stories and there are good stories out there.

From the sound of it, I think you'll be fine. Just bring every document you can think of.
Last edited by seabhcan on Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:09 pm

The difference between celeta and seabhcan is that Seabhcan is Irish.The proceedure is much simpler for spouses of Irish nationals. If the E.U spouse is non Irish, then the proceedure can take upto 6 months even if the non E.U spouse has residency in another European country.Be prepared to wait for a while

dsab85

Post by dsab85 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:11 pm

And with the big difference that in the UK the NON-EU spouse is allowed to work from the day you arrive with your EU spouse, and in Ireland only after they approved your application, which takes anything between 6 and 9 months, it seems.

seabhcan

Post by seabhcan » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:27 pm

One option is to spend that time doing a degree or coarse. If you have a student visa, you can work 20 hours a week.

I don't know if that you suit you at all - but i know it is something people do.

bananaman
Newly Registered

residence

Post by bananaman » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:56 pm

hi Celetta
if you email either of the advocacy officers for Nasc at the addresses below they will give you all the information you need.

Email:-

amanda@nascireland.org

OR

fiona@nascireland.org

Celetta
Newly Registered

Post by Celetta » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:26 am

Thank you so much for all your answers!!

Let's see what comes out of all this...

Tschüs!! :D