ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Separation and Divorce

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Environment
Newly Registered
Ireland

Separation and Divorce

Post by Environment » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:26 pm

Hi there,
I'm hoping someone can help with my query, I'm stuck and don't know what to do. I’m Irish and I married my Brazilian boyfriend over 2 and a half years ago in Denmark.
We lived together for 5 months but he broke up with me and we both moved out of the house. I even moved to a different city.
He said he would get our divorce in Brazil as it would be quicker and easier than in Ireland. He held this over me just to get me to go and sign for him at the police station so that he could retain his visa. He said if he left Ireland he would make it difficult for me to get the divorce. The last time I signed for him at the police station was a year ago. Now I realise that he has no intention of getting the divorce (he keeps giving excuses about delays) so I need to start the divorce process in Ireland and just deal with whatever happens. Do I need to contact the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS) to say that we broke up? Will I get into trouble with INIS for signing for him when we weren’t together or what are the consequences?

Thanks for your help.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Re: Separation and Divorce

Post by Vorona » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:53 pm

You should have informed INIS of your relationship breakdown when it happened. Your husband is legally obliged to inform INIS of any changes in the circumstances, such as end of the relationship, separation and divorce, change of address and a few more. This was communicated to him when he received his permission.

What is happening right now based on what you're saying is that he's concealing the fact of breakdown of relationship from the INIS to keep his permission. This is fraud and you should address this with INIS if you want to avoid any consequences for yourself in the future. This won't affect your chances of getting divorce.

Paddy1996
Albania

Re: Separation and Divorce

Post by Paddy1996 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:25 pm

The way you can get the divorce quickly it’s you can contact inis and let them know that you broke up and don’t want to live anymore with him so you need the divorce process, but Likely in this case it looks like his been using you only for his visa so you should better report him straight way becouse if he dosent give you the divorce you have to wait 4-5 years to get the divorce from the court itself, so the best way it’s if he dosent give you the divorce report him saying that he was using you only for visa