ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com


Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Sham Marriages- Arrests & Deportations

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, Administrator

Southern_Sky
Member
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:25 pm
Location: Irska

Sham Marriages- Arrests & Deportations

Post by Southern_Sky » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:45 am

Five are deported in sham marriage operation
http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 01165.html


16 arrests this year over sham marriages
http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0818/marriage.html

Gardaí object to 57 suspected 'sham' marriages
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 71207.html

''“In one case on a single day we discovered 10 brides on a single flight from Latvia. The women tend to be young, often between the ages of 18-21. Some speak English well and stay in the country after marrying. Others go home immediately,â€

knapps
Member of Standing
Posts: 436
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:57 am
Location: cork

Post by knapps » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:01 pm

ok..first of all I completely agree with the Govt decision to track down who have married to someone regardless of nationality for the sack of getting nationality. This is a SCAM!!

yes, I come from Asia as well and I know people have done it that sucks and it disgusts me who have done it.

But dont forget these EU girls are equally responsible with them so if GOVT is holding responsible the one who pays must hold responsible to those who accept the offer on fair basis.

But make sure genuine people do not suffer as all fingers are not the same.

cheers

Monifé
Senior Member
Posts: 653
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:42 pm
Location: Dublin

Post by Monifé » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:44 pm

I totally agree with the Government and GNIB at cracking down on Sham Marriages BUT not at the expense of genuine couples!

They need to form genuine plans and tactics and not just discriminate against a few nationalities. Ok so the majority of the applications are from Pakistani, Indian and Nigerian. But that could also be because there is a hell of alot more of those nationalities living in Ireland than others and their home countries are very populous aswell.

My fiancé is Nigerian and I know there are A LOT of dodgy, nigerian scammers out there, as there is other nationalities, but that DOES NOT mean that all of them are like that![/b]
beloved is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out - Pierre Berton

CheGuevara
- thin ice -
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:56 am
Mood:
Ireland

Stale news

Post by CheGuevara » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:14 pm

Stale news, move on to more important stuff.

maganzo
Junior Member
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:56 pm

Post by maganzo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:14 am

Monifé wrote:I totally agree with the Government and GNIB at cracking down on Sham Marriages BUT not at the expense of genuine couples!

They need to form genuine plans and tactics and not just discriminate against a few nationalities. Ok so the majority of the applications are from Pakistani, Indian and Nigerian. But that could also be because there is a hell of alot more of those nationalities living in Ireland than others and their home countries are very populous aswell.

My fiancé is Nigerian and I know there are A LOT of dodgy, nigerian scammers out there, as there is other nationalities, but that DOES NOT mean that all of them are like that![/b]

Monife,I agree with you.
But we live in 24/7 media,so few apples always spoil the lot.

But at the same time when you have many men from the same country doing the same over and over again,it is becoming a nuisance for genuine couples.If you read stories around Europe you will find these guys from the same country in every prison within EU for drug charges and scams.

A criminal is always a criminal,one day will be caught.

IQU
Diamond Member
Posts: 1020
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 9:34 pm
Location: ireland

HI

Post by IQU » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:15 pm

i am the one from the country mention above .i really feel sorry for geniune people.i feel sorry to represnt my own country today.even geniune couple will be face more diffuclities .please stop the fxxxx sham marriages.

knapps
Member of Standing
Posts: 436
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:57 am
Location: cork

Post by knapps » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:51 pm

there are groups in dublin and cork who are importing these women to Ireland and then supplying them for money..where the hell are guards??? can they not arrest them like....this is a nuisance ...i come from the same country this is getting ridiculous!!! Arrest these guys plz plz plz...also let Latvian agencies know these girls are to be checked closely

walrusgumble
BANNED
Posts: 1279
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:30 am
Location: ireland

Post by walrusgumble » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:05 pm

knapps wrote:there are groups in dublin and cork who are importing these women to Ireland and then supplying them for money..where the hell are guards??? can they not arrest them like....this is a nuisance ...i come from the same country this is getting ridiculous!!! Arrest these guys plz plz plz...also let Latvian agencies know these girls are to be checked closely
I'd Imagine that they want to want until the ring leaders show their heads first and then nail them. Its not exactly an easy matter to proof before a court beyond all reasonable doubt, so they need to build their cases, as if they fail, the ring leaders get a lucky escape and become even more careful next time round. What makes you so sure that the Gardaí hae kept their eyes closed?

knapps
Member of Standing
Posts: 436
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:57 am
Location: cork

Post by knapps » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:05 pm

come on...some of the couples can't even communicate to each other!! is it not clear??

acme4242
Senior Member
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:03 pm

Post by acme4242 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:06 pm

knapps wrote:come on...some of the couples can't even communicate to each other!! is it not clear??
Of course its clear to everyone even the dogs on the street.
Its also clear the Dept really don't want to stop sham marriages, but want
to remove lawful rights from Irish and EU families using the convenient
excuse.

All the effort by the Dept to deny 4EUfam cards to EU families,
and again the recent effort to remove STAMP-4 from family members.

yet at no time since all this noise about sham marriages started back in
1999 by John O'Donghue did they bother to make the fraud a crime.
There is no law against it, Instead the Dept have a difference agenda.
You can see the play again in the latest 2010 Bill.

Draconian law to remove rights from all, in the name of combating sham
marriages by the few. But all the time leaving sham marriage lawful.
[b]IMMIGRATION, RESIDENCE AND PROTECTION BILL 2010[/b] wrote: 7.—For the avoidance of doubt, the fact that a foreign national
seeking to enter into or be present or remain in the State is married,
or related by marriage, to a particular person does not, of itself,
create any entitlement for that foreign national to be granted a visa,
entry permission or residence permission, or have a residence per-
mission renewed under this Act.

Marriage itself not to create immigration advantage.

maganzo
Junior Member
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:56 pm

Post by maganzo » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:36 pm

Monifé wrote:I totally agree with the Government and GNIB at cracking down on Sham Marriages BUT not at the expense of genuine couples!

They need to form genuine plans and tactics and not just discriminate against a few nationalities. Ok so the majority of the applications are from Pakistani, Indian and Nigerian. But that could also be because there is a hell of alot more of those nationalities living in Ireland than others and their home countries are very populous aswell.

My fiancé is Nigerian and I know there are A LOT of dodgy, nigerian scammers out there, as there is other nationalities, but that DOES NOT mean that all of them are like that![/b]
August 2010






Five foreign nationals were arrested in Tilbury on 25 August following a UK Border Agency operation at a church where a suspected sham marriage was due to take place.

Officers from a specialist immigration crime team stopped the wedding at St John's Church, Dock Road, Tilbury as it was about to start at 12:00.

The Nigerian groom and Dutch bride were put in handcuffs at the altar, while two witnesses - a Nigerian man and woman - were also arrested inside the church.

Another Nigerian man, believed to be the wedding 'fixer', tried to escape by scaling a 6ft fence but was apprehended by officers from Essex Police.

walrusgumble
BANNED
Posts: 1279
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:30 am
Location: ireland

Post by walrusgumble » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:40 am

maganzo wrote:
Monifé wrote:I totally agree with the Government and GNIB at cracking down on Sham Marriages BUT not at the expense of genuine couples!

They need to form genuine plans and tactics and not just discriminate against a few nationalities. Ok so the majority of the applications are from Pakistani, Indian and Nigerian. But that could also be because there is a hell of alot more of those nationalities living in Ireland than others and their home countries are very populous aswell.

My fiancé is Nigerian and I know there are A LOT of dodgy, nigerian scammers out there, as there is other nationalities, but that DOES NOT mean that all of them are like that![/b]
August 2010






Five foreign nationals were arrested in Tilbury on 25 August following a UK Border Agency operation at a church where a suspected sham marriage was due to take place.

Officers from a specialist immigration crime team stopped the wedding at St John's Church, Dock Road, Tilbury as it was about to start at 12:00.

The Nigerian groom and Dutch bride were put in handcuffs at the altar, while two witnesses - a Nigerian man and woman - were also arrested inside the church.

Another Nigerian man, believed to be the wedding 'fixer', tried to escape by scaling a 6ft fence but was apprehended by officers from Essex Police.

living in ireland? in what sense? temporary permission to stay in ireland, on the basis of been able to prove that you have been persecuted / suffered serious harm in the home country and unable to return to same and permsision to study, attend and qualify for various courses ( even if they are mcieky mouse 7-10 years language course , i am not including genuine studies here by the way) hardly really includes "living" or residing. these forms of residency were never intended to be for a way of simply making a new life or econonic reasons. thats what work permits are for (let me make it crystal clear, i have NO problem with people of different nationalities etc coming to ireland, but i do have a problem with people who fraudelently take advantage of liberal (and judge made and unelected by the people judge made) decisions


They don't want to stop marriage of conveniences? have you read the most recent immigration bill?

The issue about nationalities is the most regarded thing. These are the actual nationalites that are more prone to deportation, in normal situations. get bloody real., look at the stats in relation to asylum and student visas.

nigerians do not need to apply for asylum in the first place. spend all day to find prove of other wise in light of understanding what persecution and inability to been able to find minium and adequate protection means

Tell me this, and all of ye who are from central europe, as oppose to ireland and uk,what are the chances, and lets pretend (and assume to are an eu citizen), its your position, you have to go back home, permanently, for whatever reason be it work or family, strictly personal reasons, will the non eu spouse definitely follow? Are you really really sure of that? or are they more concerned with getting Irish citizenship thus Eu? after all they married for love and where they live should come second


Its got nothing to do with "nationalities". Its far too convenient, considering the amount of nationalities here, that its the same couple of different countries involved. Correct me if i am wrong, but what are the historical social,language relgious etc links within 6 months (and within a period of a deportation order or sudden expiry of student visa) between former russian communist countries far away from the former british empire state of india? what happened was it lativan - indian singles night in coper face jacks? how can it be the same in england? (i do not mean to offend genuines) look at teh facts, these are the countries involved. its way too convenient, and it sound like someone is protesting too much. whats with the rush of getting married?

considering, polish and nigerians (just a simple example, and not intended to generalise, honestly) are genuinely relgious (and many of them Christian) and within reason family orienated, countries, how come they get married in the presence little or no families?, or how come, they don't, considering it being the biggest day of their lives, not get married in their respective countries, considering they would, regardless of where they are from, and considering, its not that expensive to travel within europe, get on with the marriage cermony there? why the rush? why the instances of a civil, considering, some may actually be of the same religion, insist on the civil marriage? (i ask that question with the knowledge and lack of ignorance to different beliefs, culture etc)

Monifé
Senior Member
Posts: 653
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:42 pm
Location: Dublin

Post by Monifé » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:49 pm

maganzo wrote:
Monifé wrote:I totally agree with the Government and GNIB at cracking down on Sham Marriages BUT not at the expense of genuine couples!

They need to form genuine plans and tactics and not just discriminate against a few nationalities. Ok so the majority of the applications are from Pakistani, Indian and Nigerian. But that could also be because there is a hell of alot more of those nationalities living in Ireland than others and their home countries are very populous aswell.

My fiancé is Nigerian and I know there are A LOT of dodgy, nigerian scammers out there, as there is other nationalities, but that DOES NOT mean that all of them are like that![/b]
August 2010






Five foreign nationals were arrested in Tilbury on 25 August following a UK Border Agency operation at a church where a suspected sham marriage was due to take place.

Officers from a specialist immigration crime team stopped the wedding at St John's Church, Dock Road, Tilbury as it was about to start at 12:00.

The Nigerian groom and Dutch bride were put in handcuffs at the altar, while two witnesses - a Nigerian man and woman - were also arrested inside the church.

Another Nigerian man, believed to be the wedding 'fixer', tried to escape by scaling a 6ft fence but was apprehended by officers from Essex Police.
What was your exact point quoting my post and then writing your post?
beloved is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out - Pierre Berton

koded
Member
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:06 am

Post by koded » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:28 pm

considering, polish and nigerians (just a simple example, and not intended to generalise, honestly) are genuinely relgious (and many of them Christian) and within reason family orienated, countries, how come they get married in the presence little or no families?, or how come, they don't, considering it being the biggest day of their lives, not get married in their respective countries, considering they would, regardless of where they are from, and considering, its not that expensive to travel within europe, get on with the marriage cermony there? why the rush? why the instances of a civil, considering, some may actually be of the same religion, insist on the civil marriage? (i ask that question with the knowledge and lack of ignorance to different beliefs, culture etc)
I dont actually understand your point. But I must tell you that in africa that are reasons why people wish their family members to be around during their wedding. and it does not necessarily mean they want it that way. if I may tell you some of the reasons, some people want to make their wedding big simple because mr. A did the same and they dont want people to say ill of them. And therefore, so much people waste their money in doing that. it is kind of tradition why some people dont really like but they dont have so much choice in the society they live in. So people who find alternative ways of doing it and mostly when it is not their own country will go ahead to do that.
Again, you mentioned about why the rush?! Well, their is always rush as far as marriage is concerned. it is not just because of immigration reasons. People of the same background rush marriages too. And I will also tell you some of the reasons, Some ladies wish to get married as soon as possible the guy told him that he will marry her. This I understand is because they dont want anything to distory the proposal. The same with some guys who really want a lady.
Therefore, the point you are making there is pointless to this issue of "sham marriages".
Of course if say why the rush in applying for residency in the country they live in well, i can as well suspect something fishy there too.
There are many ways to stop "sham marriages". and I think if the people responsible for that really want to do that they will do so.
Like acme4242 keep pointing to you, they are just trying to breach the rights of spouse of eu citizen and Irish citizens with their main aim of reducing unemployment.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Posts: 7121
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:09 am
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Re: Sham Marriages- Arrests & Deportations

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:35 am

[quote="Southern_Sky"]''“In one case on a single day we discovered 10 brides on a single flight from Latvia. The women tend to be young, often between the ages of 18-21. Some speak English well and stay in the country after marrying. Others go home immediately,â€

agniukas
Senior Member
Posts: 665
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:19 pm

Post by agniukas » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:00 pm


IQU
Diamond Member
Posts: 1020
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 9:34 pm
Location: ireland

hiiii

Post by IQU » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:13 pm

because of some sham marriages geniune couple also suffer.gnib should make some law to tackle the sham marriages

walrusgumble
BANNED
Posts: 1279
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:30 am
Location: ireland

Re: Sham Marriages- Arrests & Deportations

Post by walrusgumble » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:36 am

[quote="Directive/2004/38/EC"][quote="Southern_Sky"]''“In one case on a single day we discovered 10 brides on a single flight from Latvia. The women tend to be young, often between the ages of 18-21. Some speak English well and stay in the country after marrying. Others go home immediately,â€

walrusgumble
BANNED
Posts: 1279
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:30 am
Location: ireland

Post by walrusgumble » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:54 am

koded wrote:
considering, polish and nigerians (just a simple example, and not intended to generalise, honestly) are genuinely relgious (and many of them Christian) and within reason family orienated, countries, how come they get married in the presence little or no families?, or how come, they don't, considering it being the biggest day of their lives, not get married in their respective countries, considering they would, regardless of where they are from, and considering, its not that expensive to travel within europe, get on with the marriage cermony there? why the rush? why the instances of a civil, considering, some may actually be of the same religion, insist on the civil marriage? (i ask that question with the knowledge and lack of ignorance to different beliefs, culture etc)
I dont actually understand your point. But I must tell you that in africa that are reasons why people wish their family members to be around during their wedding. and it does not necessarily mean they want it that way. if I may tell you some of the reasons, some people want to make their wedding big simple because mr. A did the same and they dont want people to say ill of them. And therefore, so much people waste their money in doing that. it is kind of tradition why some people dont really like but they dont have so much choice in the society they live in. So people who find alternative ways of doing it and mostly when it is not their own country will go ahead to do that.
Again, you mentioned about why the rush?! Well, their is always rush as far as marriage is concerned. it is not just because of immigration reasons. People of the same background rush marriages too. And I will also tell you some of the reasons, Some ladies wish to get married as soon as possible the guy told him that he will marry her. This I understand is because they dont want anything to distory the proposal. The same with some guys who really want a lady.
Therefore, the point you are making there is pointless to this issue of "sham marriages".
Of course if say why the rush in applying for residency in the country they live in well, i can as well suspect something fishy there too.
There are many ways to stop "sham marriages". and I think if the people responsible for that really want to do that they will do so.
Like acme4242 keep pointing to you, they are just trying to breach the rights of spouse of eu citizen and Irish citizens with their main aim of reducing unemployment.
Point I am making is for most part, these weddings are dodgy. You miss the point completely. I ain't talking about white wedding or whatever equivalent in people's culture, I am talking about the lack of presence of family members, such as a sibling, parent or even friends. So paid stand ins as guests is generally ok? well maybe if you are on a bender and think getting married in Las Vegas before a singing Elvis is your thing

Ok lets get real, it is expensive to have one even the most modest civil cermony and I would imagine it would be difficult to get the parents over here (never mind visa requirements) but the eu spouse? come on what excuses have they really, Ryanair etc makes it cheap. Why don't they even try to head back over the the parents country to marry? hmmm

Why rush the cermony? Anything got to do with deportation orders or immenient refusals?

As for the rush, no there is never the rush, unless you know your dying. These people are not from the same background!!!! that is the whole point, they have different attitudes, cultures etc, never mind language barriers. you know full well that an illegal immigrant, as oppose to a legal immigrant, will likely be presumed to have entered a dodgy marriage after only being 6 months in the country. Why not wait and build up the case first, at least make it look real. Ie collect evidence of residence together. You can really say that that same reason for rushing in is valid for all concerened?

How many genuine cases have and will be revoked???? None! If its real no matter what, they will be fine, so no loss of rights

Southern_Sky
Member
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:25 pm
Location: Irska

UK vicar jailed for sham marriages

Post by Southern_Sky » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:21 pm


Locked
cron