ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse naturalisation eligibility

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

golmal
Newly Registered
India

Spouse naturalisation eligibility

Post by golmal » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:42 pm

Hi Folks,

Just a quick question regarding my spouse eligibility for naturalisation.

I have just received my naturalisation certificate and have now sent in my application for the Irish passport.

I understand if you are married to an Irish citizen, you can apply for naturalisation, if you have been married for 3 years or more. Does this 3-year rule start from my naturalisation? We got married in March 2015 and she came to Ireland in 2016 but had to leave the country for more than 4 months in 2017.

If she is eligible then do, we need to go to the GNIB office and get Stamp 4? She is currently on Stamp 1G. Will there be fee to get this done?

Also, residency calculator does not have 1G option so I presume I should use Stamp 3 and explain it in the cover note?

Thanks a million, in advance.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Spouse naturalisation eligibility

Post by littlerr » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:44 pm

golmal wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:42 pm
I understand if you are married to an Irish citizen, you can apply for naturalisation, if you have been married for 3 years or more.
That's not what the requirement says. The requirement says a person can apply for naturalisation on the basis of marriage to an Irish person if:
- they have been living in the same address on the island of Ireland together during the claimed period;
- the person has been living in Ireland for the last 365/366 days (6 weeks abroad allowed);
- the person has accumulated at least another 2 years in the previous 4 years before last year in Ireland;
- the person has a valid permission for the claimed period (with student permission excluded). ​
golmal wrote:
If she is eligible then do, we need to go to the GNIB office and get Stamp 4? She is currently on Stamp 1G. Will there be fee to get this done?
The requirement does not say that but it is one of the first things people do after they are naturalised. There is no fee for that. You should use online renewal platform if you live in Dublin.
golmal wrote:
Also, residency calculator does not have 1G option so I presume I should use Stamp 3 and explain it in the cover note?
You can choose either 1 or 3 - just print out the residency calculator, cross out the wrong stamp number and put the correct number in, and put a brief explanation beside it.

golmal
Newly Registered
India

Post by golmal » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:10 am

Thanks a lot littlerr. Much appreciated.

Noted your input about changing stamp and residency calculator.

Re Spouse Naturalisation - I have just received my certificate so those requirements start now for us? or I can back date them as we are living in Ireland since May 2016. There is just a 4 months gap in 2017 due to the family issue.

Thanks.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:28 am

No it starts from the earliest day that you get married, lived together and she had an eligible stamp.

golmal
Newly Registered
India

Post by golmal » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:50 am

You are a star :D Thanks a million for your help.