ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stamp 1 to Stamp 4 Immigration Status

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Ausgirl09
Newly Registered
Australia

Stamp 1 to Stamp 4 Immigration Status

Post by Ausgirl09 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:39 pm

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all well. I just was wondering if it was possible to change from a Stamp 1 Working Holiday Authorisation to Stamp 4 immigration status based on becoming the spouse of my Irish fiance. My partner and I are engaged and have unfortunately had to postpone our wedding earlier this year due to Covid-19. We have been planning to move to Ireland from the UK at the end of the year (I'm Australian). Since we've had to postpone our wedding, would it be possible for me to obtain a Working Holiday Authorisation and then apply to change my immigration status once we eventually do get married next year?

The INIS website does say that you are permitted to apply for change of immigration status from Stamp 1 to Stamp 4. Since the WHA falls under the Stamp 1 category, does that mean this is possible?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Re: Stamp 1 to Stamp 4 Immigration Status

Post by Vorona » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:09 pm

Hi there.

Yes, when you eventually get married, you will be entitled to Stamp 4 permission. This will eliminate the need of having a work permit to work in Ireland, you can take any job you wish or create your own business.
No matter what permission you have at the moment, if you have any. Once you officially married, you're good to go.
The process for spouses of Irish citizens is pretty straightforward.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:16 pm

If you don't have a permission right now, you might want to come to Ireland as a de-facto partner of an Irish citizen and this will also give you Stamp 4 permission, for which you will need to pay 300 euro, however those will be free of charge for you after you get married. I assume that getting work permit in Ireland (Stamp 1) is much more complicated process that a de-facto route, which I had gone through myself. But obviously you need to clarify that and maybe that will be more suitable for yourself.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:33 am

Vorona wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:16 pm
If you don't have a permission right now, you might want to come to Ireland as a de-facto partner of an Irish citizen and this will also give you Stamp 4 permission, for which you will need to pay 300 euro, however those will be free of charge for you after you get married. I assume that getting work permit in Ireland (Stamp 1) is much more complicated process that a de-facto route, which I had gone through myself. But obviously you need to clarify that and maybe that will be more suitable for yourself.
This is no longer an option since last year.

De facto applications are WAY more complex than a work permit or WHA applications, especially that now Ireland has a preclearance scheme for such applications. Applicants can no longer come here on the basis of being a short-term visitor and apply for a de-facto application here. Also, the processing time for de-facto applications can be up to 12 months.