ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stamp 4 renewal question

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Gibbering Shoggoth
Newly Registered
Ireland

Stamp 4 renewal question

Post by Gibbering Shoggoth » Tue May 17, 2022 11:49 pm

Hi, first time poster here.
Myself (Irish) and my American partner are looking at getting married in Ireland next year. The big hiccup is that both of us travel a lot for work and the likelihood that she will be able to fulfill the residence requirements to get Irish citizenship any time soon is not very high. We plan to be together in each others' countries on short-term visas for the forseeable.
Can anyone advise me on how easy it would be for her to just renew the stamp 4 every couple of years for the time being rather than applying for full citizenship? I know that getting into the US to see her will likely be more complex, but I'm just looking into the Irish side for now. Any help would be much appreciated!

meself2
Ireland

Re: Stamp 4 renewal question

Post by meself2 » Wed May 18, 2022 12:45 am

I assume you plan to live here, since that's the aim of Stamp 4.
Renewal shouldn't be an issue as long as you live and stay together - there is no obligation to become a citizen of any sort. She can go for Stamp 5 after 8 years as well, just so you don't bother with renewals.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Gibbering Shoggoth
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Gibbering Shoggoth » Wed May 18, 2022 7:37 am

We do plan on living here, but we will be away for large chunks of time - most likely for longer periods than the allowed 6 weeks per year.
meself2 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 12:45 am
I assume you plan to live here, since that's the aim of Stamp 4.
Renewal shouldn't be an issue as long as you live and stay together - there is no obligation to become a citizen of any sort. She can go for Stamp 5 after 8 years as well, just so you don't bother with renewals.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed May 18, 2022 6:22 pm

Stamp 4 holders cannot leave the state for more than 3 months in any year without notifying INIS in advance. There are some exceptions but I don't think any of them applies to you.
- IIP scheme
- Exercising EU Treaty rights
- Urgent/unexpected family matters
- Medical needs
- etc

Having said that, I don't think anyone is really enforcing this. Frequent short trips in and out of the state are not a concern for border control. They will be more concerned to those who take longer trips abroad (e.g. if the person is out of state for 6 months in a single trip).