ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Type D Spouse Visa - Re-Entry Permit Procedure?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dsab85

Type D Spouse Visa - Re-Entry Permit Procedure?

Post by dsab85 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:00 pm

Hi,

my wife recently picked up her new spouse visa, and now we have to go to the UK for a few days before moving permanently.

What exactly do we have to do to get the re-entry permit? Is it painless, and what do we have to bring to the GNIB to get it?

Thanks,
dsab85

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:30 am

If you already have your D Visa it's relatively painless. It does involve a visit to the GNIB (else by post to GNIB), but to the first set of counters (on the left) as you walk in (INIS desks). Grab a number and wait in the queue. Documents required:

1. Re-Entry Visa application form - http://www.justice.ie/80256E01003A21A5/ ... lJan07.pdf
2. Passport Photo
3. Both passports
4. GNIB Card
5. Marriage Certificate
6. Fee if applicable (not for spouses of EU citizens)

If done in person, the re-entry visa is issued on the spot. If by post, it takes 7 days (according to DOJ).
More details here: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000158

dsab85

Post by dsab85 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:30 am

The people in the GNIB office in Town are IMO now officially the biggest Idiots in the whole of Ireland.

Today my wife went to get a re-entry permit. She went to the INIS Desk and was told that they couldn't issue her with one as she doesn't have a GNIB card yet. Explaining that her EU1 application was pending and that she didn't have a GNIB card yet didn't help.

Then she was sent to the other counter to see if she can get a GNIB card. Without even letting her explain the situation they asked "Where is your husband"? Wife replied "He's at work". If he is not with you I can not help you. We need to verify his identity. My wife then tried telling them... I have our marriage certificate and his passport with me". But she just told my wife in a very rude way "Can't you understand? withour your husband no service".

Now I have to take another half day off to go with her, without even knowing if we can get it in the end. This country is just crazy in immigrationmatters. They should start hireing people with brain (or foreigners) instead of these monkeys.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:05 am

dsab85: I thought your wife had been issued her Irish D-Spouse visa? If she has no valid visa and is awaiting the outcome of her EU1 Application, she isn't entitled to a Re-Entry Visa. Re-Entry visas are only granted when the applicatant is a holder of a valid Residence Permit & GNIB Card.

dsab85

Post by dsab85 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:31 am

She has a D-Spouse Visa. She extra flew home 6000 miles to get it, as she was previously on a "normal" visa.

She applied for a multiple entry one, but the embassy told her they issue only single entry ones, and she would have to apply for a re-entry permit at the GNIB office.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:45 am

dsab85: That's right. D-Spouse Visas are single Entry only, and she will need a Re-Entry Visa to exit & re-enter the country. But one of the documents required to get the Re-Entry visa is a GNIB registration card. According to the DOJ (http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000031)
Legally resident non-EEA nationals who have entered the State with the intention of residing in Ireland for a period of more than three months must register with their local immigration registration officer.
One of the requirements for getting a GNIB card is that you both present yourselves to the GNIB with the required documentation, namely:

1) Both Passports
2) Marriage Certificate
3) Fee (if appropriate)

Sahil

Post by Sahil » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:27 am

Dsab85: Same thing happned with me ... you are rite they should hire people with brains not monkeys :)

dsab85

Post by dsab85 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:29 am

Hi Scrudu, thanks for that.

I asked my wife to confirm again that she will get the GNIB card for sure if I come with her tomorrow. So she tried again, but without success. The woman on the counter (who was very nice according to my wife) even called the EU Treaty Department, and they told her that they won't allow to issue a temporary GNIB Card at all.

The strange thing is that the woman on the counter told my wife that if my wife extends her Spouse visa in two months, then they can make the new one a multiple entry one. Very weird scenario.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:38 am

dsab85: I think I may have lead you astray. If I understand correctly now, your wife does not have a Stamp 4 Residency permit? She was issued with a D-Spouse Visa to enter the country, and is now awaiting an answer on her EU1 application (wife of EU citizen, not of Irish)? If so, your wife will not be issued with a GNIB card, even if you are with her, as the GNIB card is basically an ID card that confirms the Residency Permit you have in your passport. As your wife currently on has temporary residency (3 month D-Spouse Single Entry Visa), she will not be issued with a GNIB card, and accordingly will not be issued with a Re-Entry visa.

I thought your wife had a D-Spouse Visa & Stamp 4 which would entitle her to both.

Some other posters on this forum have posted info about leaving the country while their EU1 Application is being processed, and the issues they have encountered trying to get Re-entry visas, and get past Immigration on re-entering Ireland. I'm not sure what the DOJ stance on this is, or how they handle the fact it is taking them 6 months upwards to process applications, hence leaving applicants with expired visas (Tourist & Spouse Visas issued for 3 months & single Entry) remain in the country, with no legal means to re-enter the country if they leave during this time.

dsab85

Post by dsab85 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:49 am

Yeah, all a pain in the backside, tbh.

My wife had been stuck doing nothing in Ireland for a year now. One of the main reasons for her to fly back was to get a Re-Entry spouse Visa so that we can at least go and travel a bit.

Now she has the spouse visa, but cannot get a re-entry permit, even though that was the advised route by the justice Department.

- Applied in July 2006
- Refused end of March 2007
- appealed April 2007
- waiting...

and now leaving for the UK in 14 days. Finally we will get back our life...

I love this country, but I cannot express how happy I am to get away now.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:56 am

dsab85: Yeah, the whole "spouse of EU citizen" process has turned into a complete debacle :( Ireland doesnt have the concept of "bridging Visas" which would entitle you to stay while your EU1 appeal is being processed, instead it seems to have no documentation on whether people are legally residing or overstaying & illegal during this time. One would presume that showing a receipt of your application for EU1/Appeal would suffice to re-enter the country, but I am sure you'd also face hassle from the airlines, as your wife's passport does not show a valid visa to re-enter :(

Maybe others who have been through the same process can advise? Has anyone else left the country while awaiting an EU1 decision and returned even though their Single Entry Visa had expired and they had no GNIB card or Re-Entry visa?

limey

Post by limey » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:42 pm

DSA: Why not travel to the UK via Ulster? :twisted:

runie80
Member of Standing

Post by runie80 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:56 pm

limey wrote:DSA: Why not travel to the UK via Ulster? :twisted:

Ulser is UK :) so no need for VIA there :lol:
In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:18 pm

runie80 wrote:
limey wrote:DSA: Why not travel to the UK via Ulster? :twisted:

Ulser is UK :) so no need for VIA there :lol:
Not all of "Ulster" is in the United Kingdom.

Northern Ireland is the clearest (and most neutral) description. And as someone else has noted, once across the border you are already in the United Kingdom.

dsab85

Post by dsab85 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:38 am

Yes, I know flying out of Belfast would be an option. And we might have to do that. But I would have preferred a completely legal way.

I have been up to NI a few times the last few months and twice (out of maybe 30 times) there was Police and customs checking at the border. Just didn't wanna take any risk.

Thanks for your inout anyway.