ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unclear or confusing questions on the citizenship application form for adults (Form 8)

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Unclear or confusing questions on the citizenship application form for adults (Form 8)

Post by Vorona » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:43 pm

My Brazilian colleague was filling out the naturalisation form the other day and asked me to act as a referee and to help her with the form. I couldn’t do that because I’m not an Irish citizen and she asked if her Irish husband can be a referee.
I said to her that he indeed can. In fact, there is no better referee than him since he knows her better than anyone else. My Irish husband was a referee on my application, and everything was fine, even though my application was based on residence and she is applying as his wife. There is nothing on the form that explicitly says that Irish spouse cannot act as a witness so I'm pretty confident of this. However, I think it’s an area than could have been made a bit clearer for those who are thinking of applying on a basis of marriage, civil partnership or Irish Associations.

I also found questions 7.3 and 7.4 quite confusing:

Have you, since the date of death of your spouse/civil partner, married or become the civil partner of another person?” and
Have you, since the date of death of your Irish spouse/civil partner, married or become the civil partner of another person?

According to guidance you must answer "yes" or "no". But I don't think it's as simple as that. Either answer can be interpreted that as the applicant in fact is or was a widower/widow even if the negative answer was given in the Question 7.2. Having a “Not applicable” for these questions would have been so much better. Unnecessary complication.

If you find any other questions on the form difficult to answer share in the comments. Will be interesting to see.