ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

USA spousal visa

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Dangermouse80
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

USA spousal visa

Post by Dangermouse80 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:16 pm

Hi. Just looking for a bit of advise. My Irish girlfriend has received a 5 year visa for the USA. We are moving over in a month. I am looking to get a spousal visa through her but we are not married. We were thinking of going over for a week to find somewhere to live and possibly get married then. I don’t want to be flying home to Ireland every 3 months and definitely do not want to be illegal. So if anyone could give me some advise I would appreciate it. Difficult to find any info online either regards my situation!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: USA spousal visa

Post by CR001 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:20 pm

Unclear if you are moving to the US or moving to Ireland?? Please clarify so that your topic can be moved to the correct sub forum as the Brexit referendum News sub forum where you posted is not the correct place. Thanks
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Dangermouse80
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by Dangermouse80 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:59 pm

Sorry, we are moving from Ireland to the US. She got a 5 year visa to enter the US. Thanks

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:01 pm

Dangermouse80 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:59 pm
Sorry, we are moving from Ireland to the US. She got a 5 year visa to enter the US. Thanks
Moved to the Ireland sub-forum.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:56 pm

Dangermouse80 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:16 pm
Hi. Just looking for a bit of advise. My Irish girlfriend has received a 5 year visa for the USA. We are moving over in a month. I am looking to get a spousal visa through her but we are not married. We were thinking of going over for a week to find somewhere to live and possibly get married then. I don’t want to be flying home to Ireland every 3 months and definitely do not want to be illegal. So if anyone could give me some advise I would appreciate it. Difficult to find any info online either regards my situation!
What type of visa did she get?
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

Dangermouse80
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by Dangermouse80 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:00 pm

E2 visa

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:07 pm

Dangermouse80 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:00 pm
E2 visa
Once you are legally married she should be able to apply for a visa for you but I'm not entirely sure if you can apply for this visa from inside the US or if you need to apply from Ireland. If the visa is approved then it's about 3 months (average) to get the EAD (I-766) so you can legally work in the US, you can file EAD in the US and stay there and wait for it or go back to Ireland and wait until your EAD is approved.

You won't be able to work without an EAD as an spouse of a visa E2 holder.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.