ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When to submit Irish citizenship application for spouse of a naturalised Irish citizen

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

lovebino
Ireland

When to submit Irish citizenship application for spouse of a naturalised Irish citizen

Post by lovebino » Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:44 pm

Hi Folks,

A friend of mine just got approval for her Irish citizenship. She and her husband got married in March 2018 and her husband came to Ireland in May 2019 to join her.

They are thinking to apply for Irish citizenship for her husband if she could get the Certificate on 5-6 December/2022 and she asked me about the requirement of "Have been married to, or in a civil partnership with, an Irish citizen for 3 years", which I don't know.

So, I was just wondering, does it mean 3 years counting from the day his wife becomes an Irish citizen, or could be counted from March 2018 ?

Many thanks,

jesonnn
Mood:
Ireland

Re: When to submit Irish citizenship application for spouse of a naturalised Irish citizen

Post by jesonnn » Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:34 pm

lovebino wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:44 pm
Hi Folks,

A friend of mine just got approval for her Irish citizenship. She and her husband got married in March 2018 and her husband came to Ireland in May 2019 to join her.

They are thinking to apply for Irish citizenship for her husband if she could get the Certificate on 5-6 December/2022 and she asked me about the requirement of "Have been married to, or in a civil partnership with, an Irish citizen for 3 years", which I don't know.

So, I was just wondering, does it mean 3 years counting from the day his wife becomes an Irish citizen, or could be counted from March 2018 ?

Many thanks,
Somewhere at this forum I have read that it was rejected, once applied as irish spouse, it was an answer the person should be in status of Irish spouse as it has been said - 3years, so it might be better to apply once spouse has 5 years residency. It will be counting from the date she gets her status as citizen. It might be 5 years will come earler for him then 3 years in status spouse of Irish citizen
I would recommend to search it here

meself2
Ireland

Re: When to submit Irish citizenship application for spouse of a naturalised Irish citizen

Post by meself2 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:53 pm

It's unclear, tbh. See post2054160.html#p2054160 and post1950575.html#p1950575 . I'd say better safe than sorry, especially hoping that delays with citizenship process will be a bit less painful by a later time. But you can always try if you're willing to accept a certain lumpsum being lost.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.