ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Work permit/IRP/Re-entry visa still valid after passport renewal?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

tastestory
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Work permit/IRP/Re-entry visa still valid after passport renewal?

Post by tastestory » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:19 am

Hello,

I'm a non-EU national working in Ireland on critical skill employment permit. My current passport is valid through November 2020, but I almost run out of the visa pages, so I plan to renew my passport in March 2019. Since the passport number will change after renewal, I wonder if my current Irish work permit, IRP, and re-entry visa will still be valid after I renew my passport? Would I need to re-apply any of them?

My current work permit will expire on Aug 2020, and IRP/re-entry visa on Aug 2019. Could someone share any information or experience on this? Many thanks in advance!

Dan

tastestory
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Work permit/IRP/Re-entry visa still valid after passport renewal?

Post by tastestory » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:35 pm

Got some information from an immigration consultancy: I will need to notify the DBEI of the change for work permit; and attend the GNIB again to receive the stamp in my new passport.

I don't want to make another appointment just to transfer the stamp to the new passport, so I think I'll wait until July to get my passport replaced. Then I can renew GNIB registration in August, because I'd have to do it anyway. Now my only question is: by the time I make the GNIB appointment online, I probably haven't got my new passport, may I use my current passport number to make the appointment?

Thanks

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:51 am

Your visa and IRP are still valid. Both my girlfriend's and my passport page went out while our visa is valid, and we have no problem using it for the last 2 years.

I emailed INIS about this and they told me it's fine. I printed their email correspondence and brought it whenever we travel abroad, but no immigration officers have ever questioned us about this.

Just remember to carry both your old and new passports at the same time (and make sure that the visa on the old passport is not damaged).

I don't know about the work permit though, but I can't see any reason that they would revoke a work permit because of a passport number change.

tastestory
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by tastestory » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:19 am

Thanks a million for the information:)
littlerr wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:51 am
Your visa and IRP are still valid. Both my girlfriend's and my passport page went out while our visa is valid, and we have no problem using it for the last 2 years.

I emailed INIS about this and they told me it's fine. I printed their email correspondence and brought it whenever we travel abroad, but no immigration officers have ever questioned us about this.

Just remember to carry both your old and new passports at the same time (and make sure that the visa on the old passport is not damaged).

I don't know about the work permit though, but I can't see any reason that they would revoke a work permit because of a passport number change.