ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working Holiday Authorisation

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

fbarry
Newly Registered
Canada

Working Holiday Authorisation

Post by fbarry » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:17 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a dual-citizen of Canada and South Africa and entered Ireland in April 2017 on a Working Holiday Authorisation (Canadian passport).

I got a job a few weeks later and have worked there ever since. Last year, I started thinking about what would happen when my WHA was to expire. As I work in the online sector I am eligible for a Critical Skills permit, which my company was happy to sponsor for me. I applied in November 2018.

Two weeks ago I was notified that this was rejected due to the fact that WHA holders are not eligible to apply for ANY other form of work permit. I consulted two solicitors who said I need to go to GNIB and get an extension and submit an appeal as the law was changed in September last year and not made public.

I was refused an extension ("extending your permission to stay is not something this country will do for you."). My WHA expires on 3rd April. I am out of my mind with stress - I have a job, a home, a relationship (not living together so can't go that route) and have no idea what to do.

If I had applied two months prior, it would have been the same application and the same job offers and a completely different outcome.

Looking for any advice from anyone who has been in the same boat?