ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Any advice on a new city?

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ejw4h9

Any advice on a new city?

Post by ejw4h9 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:50 pm

I hope I'm not too far off topic with this query, but it seemed like the most appropriate section.

I've had a lot of helpful advice from these boards in establishing my residency permit, but now my wife and I are up for a move to the UK. I, so far, have a handle on everything that I need to do as far as immigration is concerned. However, we are undecided as to which city we would like to move to. We're thinking Bristol, but does anyone have any advice about the city? Good/bad places to live? Any problems with the city you'd like to share? We're taking another visit there in a few weeks, but we aren't sure how to "evaluate" the city to see if it's a place we'd like to live. Both of our careers are flexible, so that won't be the issue. Any information on the quality of life? Or, is there some place else that we should consider? Thanks for any advice!

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:04 pm

Can you explain why you are thinking of Bristol?

ejw4h9

Post by ejw4h9 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:13 pm

In all honesty it seems to be a nice city. I have limited experience with it, but from what I remembered it seemed so...welcoming. It's not London, so it doesn't have quite the price tag as London and it's a bit warmer than the rest of the country. I know these things are vague and a bit silly, but from all that I've read it seems to be a nice place to settle. Am I way off the mark?

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:21 pm

if you are going to Bristol soon why not take a look at Bath which is nearby.
It all depends on what you are looking for and wether you want to live in a city or just on the outskirts.
I live in Milton Keynes a very rapidly expanding modern town and would not live anywhere else but there are other nice places to live such as Oxford, Cheltenham,Salisbury, Taunton, Yeovil

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:33 pm

I used to spend my weekends in Bristol but it is not as nice as it once was

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/home

ejw4h9

Post by ejw4h9 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:35 pm

We were just talking about Bath...I think it will definitely warrant a stop. I don't mind living a bit outside the city. We're car shopping as well, so we'll have transportation. I like the idea of living within walking distance of necessary places...such things as a grocery store. Outside of that need, I would be more than willing to rely on public transport and our own car. I know this is such a broad question because you don't really know what I want/need, but it's sort of the situation we're in.

I can be happy in a lot of places, but simply need an ample population in order to find work. Cost of living was a factor...London did not seem to be ideal. We've saved money, but I can't foresee maintaining our current lifestyle in a place like London. Bournemouth was another possibility.

The problem that I'm finding is that I don't know the specific areas of these places. I'll find great/affordable listings on gumtree, but I'm afraid that it will be in an awful or remote area. We don't have kids, so schools are not the most important aspect in choosing an area, but I would like a safe area to live. Is there any specific area of Bath, Bristol or Bournemouth that I should NOT live?

Thanks again for your help...I know it's a very general query.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:54 pm

Bournemouth is a very nice place to live but have a look at ''up my street'' for places to live in UK

http://www.upmystreet.com/bournemouth.html

Sky_High
Member of Standing

Post by Sky_High » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:27 pm

Unemployment in Bristol is very high. It also has some rough area.

Bath is very expensive town. Car parking is nightmare in Bath.

What about Cardiff? A nice place. Glasgow is also a nice option.

Do you have some family and friend in UK if yes than try try to settle there. You need a social life as well.

Also try rightmove.com

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:34 pm

Cardiff? Glasgow?

methinks you are jesting!

You couldn't pay me to live in those cities

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:40 pm

Sky_High wrote:Unemployment in Bristol is very high. It also has some rough area.

Bath is very expensive town. Car parking is nightmare in Bath.

What about Cardiff? A nice place. Glasgow is also a nice option.

Do you have some family and friend in UK if yes than try try to settle there. You need a social life as well.

Also try rightmove.com
OP mentioned ''warmer'' Glasgow is cold , Cardiff is wet

I think he is on the right track with Bournemouth.

He could try Poole, Weymouth, Hastings anywhere along the south coast

Sky_High
Member of Standing

Post by Sky_High » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:16 pm

Warmer! What about Dubai? :evil:

There is no difference in Cardiff and Bristol's weather.

ejw4h9

Post by ejw4h9 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:53 pm

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. I have written down all of the cities in order to do further research. We have to be moved by the end of July, but we would not mind moving in June.

I suppose it sounds like we're a bit unprepared/unorganized, but we've been planning this move since last year. My spouse lived in England (in the south) for some time and loved it. I however, have never lived there, only visited.

We both have our degrees and have saved in order to make the move. We're both assuming that we won't have a job until after we've arrived, but we're currently looking around and it would be even more convenient to interview for a position before we move.

I suppose when "warm" is a relative term when discussing the island. It may not make a huge difference between the temperature in the north and south, but it at least sounds a bit better knowing we would be moving to the "warmest" part of the country. Does that make any sense??

Would it be "safe" (again, a relative term) to live in/near the city center of Bristol?

I'm going to check out the sites that you guys mentioned, and again, thank you! It's both exciting and a bit stressful making such a move and any first hand info I can get is valuable!

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:22 am

Since you keep mentioning Bristol you could do some research on living in Clifton

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifton,_Bristol

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:42 pm

Honestly, I would recommend Bristol. I think it's more lively than Bath (nothing against Bath really either, very pretty!), and I don't think the fact that it has some "rough areas" should put you off.

Clifton is very nice, but liable to be pricey...

I found this site, which summarises a few more of the city's areas (albeit with the obviously biased intention of getting you to live there!):

http://www.medicsonthemove.co.uk/Bristo ... istol.aspx

ejw4h9

!

Post by ejw4h9 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:02 pm

Thanks to everyone for your great advice and sites! I've been looking the sites over with my better half and we have a better game plan when we visit in a few weeks. I've looked at a few apartments in Clifton that looked very nice, but I wasn't very familiar with the area. I've read into it a bit, and it does sound nice.

We were originally looking into Manchester and Liverpool in the north, and we'll still take a look while we're there, but the south really does sound like a more ideal fit for the two of us.

I have a quick question that strays a bit from the topic, but it involves council taxes. Is this generally included in the rent or is it separate? I've read about the costs associated with them, but are they paid monthly or do you pay it all at once one time per year?

Thank you all again for your help!

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:25 am

Council Tax can be included in the rent or not, it all depends on the rental agreement but you get a choice to pay monthly or in a lump sum

Lynnuk
BANNED

Re: !

Post by Lynnuk » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:46 am

ejw4h9 wrote:Thanks to everyone for your great advice and sites! I've been looking the sites over with my better half and we have a better game plan when we visit in a few weeks. I've looked at a few apartments in Clifton that looked very nice, but I wasn't very familiar with the area. I've read into it a bit, and it does sound nice.

We were originally looking into Manchester and Liverpool in the north, and we'll still take a look while we're there, but the south really does sound like a more ideal fit for the two of us.

I have a quick question that strays a bit from the topic, but it involves council taxes. Is this generally included in the rent or is it separate? I've read about the costs associated with them, but are they paid monthly or do you pay it all at once one time per year?

Thank you all again for your help!
Well job situation is Manchester and north west is a night mare.I remembered when I struggle to get job in Manchester.Similarly I heard Bristle is a rough(I am ignoring word dearly beloved) city.Liverpool is not good option as well.

If you ask me I would recommend Birmingham,Coventry or Wolverhampton.They are good for jobs.
These are my personal views only please.

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:56 am

Bristles are usually rough :wink: ....but Bristol is no rougher than Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton etc...most cities have no-go areas.

blackberry09
Newly Registered

Post by blackberry09 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:59 am

Nothing wrong with CARDIFF!
having lived in the North on England(Manchester.Glasgow and Bristol and was about to give up and go back to my home country so i would anytime suggest WALES.a bit on the low life if you dont want live on the fast lane.
Weather is rubbish(like most UK parts anyway) always wet but you can manage,Jobs easier to find and living expenses average which with proper job should be easier and not mentioning the people are just a joy to be around(MOHO)

gainvidya
Member of Standing

Post by gainvidya » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:23 am

I've lived in Bath long ago.... OK to tour but boring to live probably because I am asian and very very few asian out there.....

Lynnuk
BANNED

Post by Lynnuk » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:38 am

gainvidya wrote:I've lived in Bath long ago.... OK to tour but boring to live probably because I am Asian and very very few Asian out there.....
Thats true..Same thing true for Liverpool..You would find few Asians there.

What I said from job point of view.Well every body knows North West is not good for jobs.

Lynnuk
BANNED

Post by Lynnuk » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:41 am

Casa wrote:Bristles are usually rough :wink: ....but Bristol is no rougher than Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton etc...most cities have no-go areas.

Casa have you seen recent video film by BBC regarding beloved in Bristol.
I never said these cities have no no-go areas..But employment rate is good here.

ejw4h9

Post by ejw4h9 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:42 am

Council Tax can be included in the rent or not, it all depends on the rental agreement but you get a choice to pay monthly or in a lump sum
- Thanks mochyn
I've lived in Bath long ago.... OK to tour but boring to live probably because I am asian and very very few asian out there.....
My wife felt the same way about Bath, though she isn't Asian...lovely to visit but couldn't see herself living there. When it comes to dangerous cities, I'd assume, much like anywhere, they all have their rough parts. I'm from the US, and all of our cities, no matter how large or small, have sections that you don't go to.

I'm afraid that I'm finding a great place on gumtree (great price, has everything I'd want), but that it might be in a less than safe area. I suppose that's the downfall in searching online! Clifton seems a bit expensive, but a nice area. Are there any dangerous areas there that I should be concerned with?

gainvidya
Member of Standing

Post by gainvidya » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:53 am

I am an asian with asian wife. I have lived in few cities in England...
Leeds, Bristol, Bath, Reading, West London, East London, North London.....
And obviously visited loads of places....

I don't find any alternative to Greater London for me and my family to be honest.

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:04 pm

Generally, the 'better, safer' areas of a town or city have higher property rentals.
Avon police 'Crime Mapping' shows Bristol as having a 'high crime level'...similar crime maps also show high crime for Manchester, Wolverhampton and Birmingham.
Having said that, I once strayed one block out in Seattle and wished I'd paid more attention to the street map!
You may well be better off in a town than a city, wherever you choose to settle. Rental is likely to be lower too.