ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Checklist for newly arrived to UK

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rathernicelydone

Checklist for newly arrived to UK

Post by rathernicelydone » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:11 pm

Would it be useful for someone to pin a post to this forum detailing the kind of activities to complete for new arrivals? For example my wife has been given a spouse visa and will be arriving next month. I am putting together a list of activities like the one below. Any other suggestions to add?

1. Obtain National Insurance Number via Application Helpline on 0345 600 0643
2. Register with local GP
3. Update bank account to joint account/Get a new bank account
4. Register with local council to add name to council tax bill
5. Register with Government Gateway to access services online such as DVLA http://www.gateway.gov.uk/
6. Apply for provisional driving license if International driving license not held
7. Obtain SIM card
8. Arrange meeting with recruitment consultant
9. Arrange driving lessons to get used to UK driving conditions (if international driving license held)

The idea is not just to ensure the person is settled and has access to all the services they need but when it comes to renewing the visa there is plenty of documentary evidence to prove the marriage is real and subsisting.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Checklist for newly arrived to UK

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:25 pm

rathernicelydone wrote:Would it be useful for someone to pin a post to this forum detailing the kind of activities to complete for new arrivals? For example my wife has been given a spouse visa and will be arriving next month. I am putting together a list of activities like the one below. Any other suggestions to add?

5. Register with Government Gateway to access services online such as DVLA http://www.gateway.gov.uk/
6. Apply for provisional driving license if International driving license not held
7. Obtain SIM card
9. Arrange driving lessons to get used to UK driving conditions (if international driving license held)

The idea is not just to ensure the person is settled and has access to all the services they need but when it comes to renewing the visa there is plenty of documentary evidence to prove the marriage is real and subsisting.
#1 she can go to Job Centre Plus to do this too.
#2 can only be done once she has proof of address.
#6 you will need to check as I am sure she needs to be resident for a certain period before she can apply for a provisional license (think it is 180 days).
#8 likely possible once she has NI number as she will be asked for proof of this
#9 see my comment on #6

The first thing she will need to do is to collect her BRP from the designated post office. Her visa issued abroad will only be valid for 30 days and she needs to collect her BRP card within 10 days of arrival. Everything else will only be possible once she has the card.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

rukhsarmanzoor

Post by rukhsarmanzoor » Thu May 05, 2016 11:51 am

rathernicelydone wrote:Would it be useful for someone to pin a post to this forum detailing the kind of activities to complete for new arrivals? For example my wife has been given a spouse visa and will be arriving next month. I am putting together a list of activities like the one below. Any other suggestions to add?

7. Obtain SIM card

Thank you for this

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu May 05, 2016 4:30 pm

Another thread on similar lines.
rukhsarmanzoor wrote:5. Register with Government Gateway to access services online such as DVLA http://www.gateway.gov.uk/
Been in the UK for about 10 years and was not even aware of this. Looking it up now.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

wambam
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by wambam » Sun May 08, 2016 10:35 pm

CR001 wrote:

7. Obtain SIM card

#1 she can go to Job Centre Plus to do this too.
#2 can only be done once she has proof of address.
#6 you will need to check as I am sure she needs to be resident for a certain period before she can apply for a provisional license (think it is 180 days).
#8 likely possible once she has NI number as she will be asked for proof of this
#9 see my comment on #6

The first thing she will need to do is to collect her BRP from the designated post office. Her visa issued abroad will only be valid for 30 days and she needs to collect her BRP card within 10 days of arrival. Everything else will only be possible once she has the card.
#1 There is no point in going to the Job Centre Plus as they also ask you to book an appointment over phone.
#2 You can apply for provisional license once you have the NINo. I landed in U.K in March and have got my provisional license. You need to send your BRP card as evidence that you are a long term resident.

rathernicelydone

Post by rathernicelydone » Tue May 10, 2016 9:37 am

Yes I called the National Insurance phone number and they sent a form through. Once completed I posted it along with the documentary evidence and my wife received her NI about two weeks later. Interestingly it was a letter rather than a card which I got when I turned 16.

Now I have her NI number I have applied for her provisional driving license - not that she needs it now as she has an international driving license but it will be very useful as a proof of address document.

Her BRP and passport was not enough for me to change my bank account into a joint account - the bank needs a proof of address too.