ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Driving in uk

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ukdest

Driving in uk

Post by ukdest » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:59 am

Can i use my indian driving license to drive in the UK? I do not have an IDP(international issued from india).

Thanks in advance.

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Re: urgent - driving in uk

Post by tvn_ramesh » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:17 am

ukdest wrote:Can i use my indian driving license to drive in the UK? I do not have an IDP(international issued from india).

Thanks in advance.
Yes.. you can.. for 1yr since u first arrived in UK...

check the below link for more DETAILED info...

Click HERE for the Link

*FC*
Member of Standing

Post by *FC* » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:08 pm

ukdest wrote:Can i use my indian driving license to drive in the UK? I do not have an IDP(international issued from india).

Thanks in advance.
Yes, absolutely!

But I wouldn't advise you to use it here to drive unless you are a very experienced driver who strictly sticks to lane discipline and rules of the road.

I would personally advise you to get on with driving classes and get a Full UK license since driving in the UK is COMPLETELY different from Driving in India except for the fact that one drives on the same side of the road in both the countries. There are loads of rules on UK roads which are absolutely non-existent in India.

Hope that helps!! :)

Cheers!

ChetanOjha

Post by ChetanOjha » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:30 pm

Yes you can drive with Indian Driving License in UK for one year.

ukdest

Post by ukdest » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:05 pm

chetanojha wrote:Yes you can drive with Indian Driving License in UK for one year.
Here is my concern...

I am buying a car and getting an insurance. The insurance websites have the option for giving license info as :-

Full(UK/Ireland/EU/International)
Provisional.

"International" is my concern. Hope the insurance company will not give any problem telling my license does not belong to the first category, if in case i have to go for claims.

nsuk
- thin ice -

Post by nsuk » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:44 am

When I went to the UK first time I was told by the licensing authorities in Chandigarh, India that I do need an International Driving Licence according to some international treaty signed by all UN nations in Vienna(Austria). Also none of the insurance companies in the UK was ready to insure me to drive any vehicle unless I had International Licence.

Please correct me if I have wrong information.

*FC*
Member of Standing

Post by *FC* » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:47 am

There is an interactive tool at the link below.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr ... DG_4022561

That is straight from the Government website and should have the right information.

Cheers!

*FC*
Member of Standing

Post by *FC* » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:50 am

*FC* wrote:There is an interactive tool at the link below.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr ... DG_4022561

That is straight from the Government website and should have the right information.

Cheers!
And yeah, IMPORTANT and MANDATORY information for drivers who would like to venture out on UK roads with foreign licenses.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /index.htm

Cheers!

drjabberwocky23

Post by drjabberwocky23 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:35 pm

Also, I think your insurance is likely to be greater for non-UK driving licences. A Polish friend of mine pays a huge amount of insurance despite being an experienced driver, because his driving licence is an EU one.

ukdest

indian driving license(not IDP)

Post by ukdest » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:25 pm

I am looking for car insurance with my ordinary indian license and none of the insurers offers. Is there someone who got insurance having indian license in hand. Plz help. I am planning to take provisional soon.

push

Re: indian driving license(not IDP)

Post by push » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:11 pm

ukdest wrote:I am looking for car insurance with my ordinary indian license and none of the insurers offers. Is there someone who got insurance having indian license in hand. Plz help. I am planning to take provisional soon.
Provisional to Full is a 3 month journey due to heavy load on practical driving test. Even with a new Full UK driving licence the insurance premium is likely to be higher (they look at duration for which you have held the licence). Pass-plus course can help you in reducing the insurance premium (but not on India licence). Look at sites like moneysupermarket.com and compare prices + see if they offer insurance on foreign licences
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

Kathy.Hawes
BANNED

Post by Kathy.Hawes » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:20 am

Thanks in advance.
Please don't drive here. We already have n number of non-licensed driver from your country. No lane descipline, no sympathy for other road users, keep on honking. its a shame that DVLA allows one year on international license. Just don't drive.

on your question, yes you can drive in UK on international driving license for one year since you first become resident here in UK. Not many insurance company will cover you. Those who do, will charge very high premium. The insurance premium will also be high because you will be buying not newer than 'N' registered car and since you are new here, you would like to boast so you will buy large salon. So premium will be double.

I don't think you will be earning that much.

ChetanOjha

Post by ChetanOjha » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:43 am

Please do not generalize. I have rarely seen people doing things you have mentioned. Infact, I have seen them driving more carefully as they themself are scared of driving on busy/fast moving lanes. They themselve don't want to land into trouble.I agree that not all are carefull but the % of these drivers is very less.

As far as discipline is concerned, do you see TV programs like "Road Wars" etc? It is very easy to impose charges of one section drivers.
Kathy.Hawes wrote:

Thanks in advance.
Please don't drive here. We already have n number of non-licensed driver from your country. No lane descipline, no sympathy for other road users, keep on honking. its a shame that DVLA allows one year on international license. Just don't drive.
on your question, yes you can drive in UK on international driving license for one year since you first become resident here in UK. Not many insurance company will cover you. Those who do, will charge very high premium. The insurance premium will also be high because you will be buying not newer than 'N' registered car and since you are new here, you would like to boast so you will buy large salon. So premium will be double.

Kathy.Hawes
BANNED

Post by Kathy.Hawes » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:19 am

chetanojha wrote:Please do not generalize. I have rarely seen people doing things you have mentioned. Infact, I have seen them driving more carefully as they themself are scared of driving on busy/fast moving lanes. They themselve don't want to land into trouble.I agree that not all are carefull but the % of these drivers is very less.

As far as discipline is concerned, do you see TV programs like "Road Wars" etc? It is very easy to impose charges of one section drivers.
Kathy.Hawes wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Could'nt agree with you more. But here is my point. Look at the messages, some are stealing, some are trying to use deception by not disclosing convictions, so called highly skilled people are suggesting them ti hide information from HO. People wants fair treatment from HO, but at the same time calling caseworker dearly beloved and what not. One guy is trying to sue HO for facial descrimination though highest number of succesfull apllicants are from Asia.

It is the responsibility of senior members like you to stop this nonsense on this forum. Its not going to help anybody but BNP.

ChetanOjha

Post by ChetanOjha » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:46 am

Kathy.Hawes wrote:Could'nt agree with you more. But here is my point. Look at the messages, some are stealing, some are trying to use deception by not disclosing convictions, so called highly skilled people are suggesting them ti hide information from HO. People wants fair treatment from HO, but at the same time calling caseworker dearly beloved and what not. One guy is trying to sue HO for facial descrimination though highest number of succesfull apllicants are from Asia.

It is the responsibility of senior members like you to stop this nonsense on this forum. Its not going to help anybody but BNP.
check the advice given to the person who used deception.You cannot handhold anybody..can you?
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... =deception

Also check what has been advised to people talking about facial discrimination.
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... ght=facial

Also about stealing from store. Also note, I am not the one who ridiculed people but to provide impartial view to help.
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=34647

Senior members in this forum can only provide their views on the situation(good,bad or ugly) to best of their knowledge. Nobody in this forum promote/support activities like stealing/deception etc which is evident from many threads.Will it not defeat the purpose of the forum if information is not provide to the member( irrespective to what they did). Will it not be descrimination? You don't say the same thing for lawyers who defends criminal just because its their profession. Likewise in this forum, we shouldn't descriminate either.

Besides, ASIA has other countries too. Also in the lighter vein I wouldn't like to empower BNP either :-)

Kathy.Hawes
BANNED

Post by Kathy.Hawes » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:38 pm

chetanojha wrote: Besides, ASIA has other countries too. Also in the lighter vein I wouldn't like to empower BNP either :-)
Thats the whole point. :D

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:51 pm

I read all threads from you (Kathy.Hawes) and would like to say a few words:

Working in Pizza Hut or MacDonald is not a shameful occupation. It is better than doing nothing and wandering in streets in search of "a dream job". And cheap schools are not always as bad as you are claiming. By saying so, do you mean that Govt. has failed to provide education to its people? For sure these schools were not built for immigrants only.

Nationality does not matter, bad people are bad. But tell me one thing, are you saying that you and your friends never made any mistake? What are you claiming here? You are saying, "Please don't drive here...etc". It is definitely not a good way. If the law is permitting someone to drive, WHO ARE YOU to say "do not drive"?

Did you read all the posts from "Chetanojha"? I think Chetanojha and other seniors spend a lot of their time to guide the members and most of the time they are helpful.

The purpose of this forum is to discuss immigration related situations as and when they arise. If an immigrant thief goes to a British lawyer to seek a legal advice, will he refuse him to take up his case? Most certainly not. So is this forum. It intends to provide them the best possible and available opinions in terms of law. If you say that by doing so the forum members are cheating law, HO, etc, then what the most lawyers are doing? Can you ask all lawyers to stop doing so and give up their profession?

I suspect your plan seems to change the discussion forum to a dearly beloved forum and I hope Administrators will keep an eye on your messages.

Kathy.Hawes wrote:
chetanojha wrote: Besides, ASIA has other countries too. Also in the lighter vein I wouldn't like to empower BNP either :-)

Sten

Post by Sten » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:14 pm

Don't spend you time, it is just a sockpuppet ..
Good luck !

Kathy.Hawes
BANNED

Post by Kathy.Hawes » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:21 pm

mvent00 wrote:I read all threads from you (Kathy.Hawes) and would like to say a few words:

Working in Pizza Hut or MacDonald is not a shameful occupation. It is better than doing nothing and wandering in streets in search of "a dream job". And cheap schools are not always as bad as you are claiming. By saying so, do you mean that Govt. has failed to provide education to its people? For sure these schools were not built for immigrants only.

Nationality does not matter, bad people are bad. But tell me one thing, are you saying that you and your friends never made any mistake? What are you claiming here? You are saying, "Please don't drive here...etc". It is definitely not a good way. If the law is permitting someone to drive, WHO ARE YOU to say "do not drive"?

Did you read all the posts from "Chetanojha"? I think Chetanojha and other seniors spend a lot of their time to guide the members and most of the time they are helpful.

The purpose of this forum is to discuss immigration related situations as and when they arise. If an immigrant thief goes to a British lawyer to seek a legal advice, will he refuse him to take up his case? Most certainly not. So is this forum. It intends to provide them the best possible and available opinions in terms of law. If you say that by doing so the forum members are cheating law, HO, etc, then what the most lawyers are doing? Can you ask all lawyers to stop doing so and give up their profession?

I suspect your plan seems to change the discussion forum to a dearly beloved forum and I hope Administrators will keep an eye on your messages.

Kathy.Hawes wrote:

you can work whereever you want be it McDonalds or Pizza Hut but dont call yourself HIGHLY SKILLED atleast.

About lawyers, are not they supposed to do so by law? where as giving advise on forums like this is against the law. Better go check the law.

I have no plans of turning this forum into dearly beloved forum. Don't even start me on this.

Dear Sten,

Shame on you. You are the one who is asking people what to do and what not. Remember something about quoting.

Why you people are so intolerant. May be something that you learnt in your countries.

About schools, state schools for poor people, who cant afford independent schools. Calling yourselves highly skilled and then sending your children to state schools looks to me very strange.

Interestingly most of you are hiding behind these fake IDs. Why not dare to come and discuss with your real names as I have done. I even have guts to give my address and number.

Kathy.Hawes
BANNED

Post by Kathy.Hawes » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:23 pm

Sten wrote:Don't spend you time, it is just a sockpuppet ..
Most of you people are loosers. Real loosers. Come on ban me. What else you can do. Intolerant people. Thats what they teach you in your countries.

Kathy.Hawes
BANNED

Post by Kathy.Hawes » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:36 pm

Kathy.Hawes wrote:
mvent00 wrote:I read all threads from you (Kathy.Hawes) and would like to say a few words:

Kathy.Hawes wrote:

you can work whereever you want be it McDonalds or Pizza Hut but dont call yourself HIGHLY SKILLED atleast.

About lawyers, are not they supposed to do so by law? where as giving advise on forums like this is against the law. Better go check the law.

I have no plans of turning this forum into dearly beloved forum. Don't even start me on this.

Dear Sten,

Shame on you. You are the one who is asking people what to do and what not. Remember something about quoting.

Why you people are so intolerant. May be something that you learnt in your countries.

About schools, state schools for poor people, who cant afford independent schools. Calling yourselves highly skilled and then sending your children to state schools looks to me very strange.

Forget about what UK govt is doing for its citizen. Go and ask your Govt. what they are doing for you. Why you need to leave your country. No jobs, no money, no medical facilities and what about the condition of state schools in your own country? do they even exist?

Interestingly most of you are hiding behind these fake IDs. Why not dare to come and discuss with your real names as I have done. I even have guts to give my address and number

push

Post by push » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:11 pm

If Highly skilled migrants are so undesirable I fail to understand why British Government has not drawn curtains on the scheme? Last heard, EU has launched a "Blue Card" scheme (US' Green Card version 1.1) with an objective of attracting ppl from China and India. I wonder why? Is this charity? I don’t seem to think so. I and many of my friends earn at least 5 times what average Briton earns and pay income tax in the highest band on this high salary.

UK government would not ban the student VISA either - more than 40% of my batch-mates at the best MBA College in UK were Asians and mind you, all of us paid huge amounts to get that education, apart from getting marks north of 99 percentile in GMAT (a test designed by western institution). So what did my country/Govt. provide me with- the capability to go places and compete on merit and earn far better than the average ppl. What my country/culture taught me - to be humble and receptive.

This forum is not about “you and meâ€
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

email257525
BANNED

hi

Post by email257525 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:23 pm

hello friends

I have been reading this all, the only thing i will say, there are some people like push hsmp helping others in this forum.

Great thread/reply

palxxx
Newly Registered

Re: indian driving license(not IDP)

Post by palxxx » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:23 pm

ukdest wrote:I am looking for car insurance with my ordinary indian license and none of the insurers offers. Is there someone who got insurance having indian license in hand. Plz help. I am planning to take provisional soon.
Hi,
It reminds me my situation when I was here first time. As per my knowledge one of those insurance companies insure your car even if you have an Indian/non-UK license is Tesco. Try this. They also suggest you to go for the UK license within a year. But your premium would be high initially.

Couple of more things on your car - as your insurance is going to be at higher side for the first year, so try to get a decent car with lower insurance group - your premium would be less. Also, try to get the UK license after taking some lessons. They are worth taking. Above all drive carefully.

This forum offers help and suggestions to a great extent. I am grateful to this forum and would always be trying to contribute in case some of my advice help someone on the same boat.

Lets sail together.

Hope it will help.

ChetanOjha

Post by ChetanOjha » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:40 am

Also if you pay your full premium in one installment i.e. upfront payment you will save considerable money.

I am new driver myself with UK Driving license. All insurance companies were asking over £1400(min) for a year if paid in installment(may be because my car have 2 lts engine and I am based in London). They add some extra charge of 8.5% and other blah blah...but if you pay the full amount in one go you can save over 200 quids.
You can also go through cashback websites like quidco which gives you money back for buying insurance through them. This could save you another couple of quids.

If you had insurance in India, you can use the No Claim Bonus of India here as well. I didn't used it(i never had in India too), but couple of my friends has used the same here.

It is frustrating to find cheaper insurance as price comparison website gives one figure whereas when you call the insurance companies with the same quote reference no, they will add another couple of quids.

Good Luck anyway..!!!