ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

driving licence problem please help

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

johnny

driving licence problem please help

Post by johnny » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:18 pm

my friend a tunisian national was an overstayer in uk , applied for a driving licence passed her tests etc BUT Iin her driving licence she lied about her nationalty and said she is dutch :cry: that was long time ago before they become a bit strict about ID etc
she has just a paper licence not those new ones which she put in the wash machine one day without paying attention in her jeans pocket :(
last year she returned to tunisia , got married and applied for settlement visa which she is been granted
now she is in the uk legally she found a job and she needs a car to get to work the problem is
she is worried if asked DVLA for her driving licence she will have to provide her tunisian ID so they will realise she lied before about her nationality
if she applies for a provional driving licence to get a new one it is the same problem again they will find that her name is already in their system with diferent nationality
she is very scared from this and don t know how to solve this plus she is worried that this will cause her problem with her ILR
it is very complicated
any suggestions ?

Thank you

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:33 pm

The only straight forward and sensible way to come out of the mess is to apply for a fresh provisional licence providing real details to DVLA and hope for best.

johnny

Post by johnny » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:20 pm

thanks for your reply
she wants to apply for a new one start everything but her worries are
applying for the provisional she had to fill her name , surname , date of birth and address and these are already in their system except for the nationality , they may find out that this is the same person , the same details with two different nationalities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:54 pm

johnny wrote:thanks for your reply
she wants to apply for a new one start everything but her worries are
applying for the provisional she had to fill her name , surname , date of birth and address and these are already in their system except for the nationality , they may find out that this is the same person , the same details with two different nationalities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At the end of the day, her fake nationality has nothing to do with her competency to drive. She either bites the bullet and applies with the correct info or just doesn't apply and has no license unless she falsified her test documentation confirming she passed her driver's test too. It is really that simple.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:04 pm

Are there any penalties for providing false information to DVLA?

johnny

Post by johnny » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:21 pm

, she didn t falsify anything , the only mistake she did is the question wher they asking , nationality she wrote dutch instead of tunisian , that was about 13 years ago
, she is a very good driver , she passed her written and practical test with a known driving UK school, she wanted to do it again but this time to write her correct nationality apply like a new driver
as mentioned in my topic she was an overstayer and she did regret overstaying this is why she returned to her country and corrected her status , now she wants to do everything right and never do anything illegal or lie she learned the lesson

if she applies for a provisional driving licence and they found out that she already has a driving licence different nationality what will be the punishment ? any penalties ? could this influence her ILR ?

thank you

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:21 pm

paulp wrote:Are there any penalties for providing false information to DVLA?
Check DVLA website for info

johnny

Post by johnny » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:39 pm

thanks , i did check their website but could not find nothing

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:11 pm

She can update DVLA with her "new" nationality - Tunisian as long as she has a Tunis passport to back up her claim. Which she does of course! They will not make enquiries as there will also be a spouse visa in her Tunis passport to allow her access to a UK licence. The history in the “middleâ€

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:14 pm

I was thinking more along the consequential fines that you get for not notifying the DVLA of any change of name or address.

I don't have the D1 form to hand, that's the one for applying for a provisional driving license but I saw this on the net:

"It states that providing false information or with holding information can result in a prison sentence of up to 2 years and a fine of £1,000 :-("

The driving license is not just a permit to drive but also a form of ID commonly used in the UK so I thought there may be fines or even possibly prison for providing false information.

Given that it was a long time ago, your friend may be able to get away with it though.

johnny

Post by johnny » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:55 pm

thanks guys for your help
do you think it is a good idea to ask them directly by phone or email just to confess and see what they say?
do you think it is a good idea to apply for a provisional driving licence like a new person
when she filled the form of her driving licence before she used her first name and her married name, Mrs xy no maiden name
her name now has a maiden name Mrs xey
also she moved with her husband the address on the old driving licence will be different if she applies for a provisional
i am not sure if they will be able to detect that she has a driving licence with a different nationality !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

a_bentz
Newly Registered

Post by a_bentz » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:35 am

surely the dvla is not fussed about your nationality, yes they need to check that you are legally in the country byt the way of a visa, but they only need your place of birth. did the OP friend lie about her place of birth? i really dont think they will need to redo the drivers licence, she can just apply for a change of address or apply for a duplicate if the original licence is lost/damaged? she still has a valid licence. i would say just apply for a duplicate licence.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:10 am

johnny wrote:, she didn t falsify anything , the only mistake she did is the question wher they asking , nationality she wrote dutch instead of tunisian
She falsified hr nationality, no two ways about it.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

johnny

Post by johnny » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:17 pm

thank you
yes she did write in the question place of birth , Holland instead of tunisia
all the other info are correct a part from nationality
i think she better forget about her old driving licence because to apply for it she has to show her tunisian passport with a visa in it, they will sure find out that place of birth is not the one they have in their computers