ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Driving License with dual citizenship (Italian/British)

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Condor82

Driving License with dual citizenship (Italian/British)

Post by Condor82 » Sun May 21, 2017 2:11 am

Hi there,

My italian driving licence is expired and I am considering to renew it.

I have Italian and British citizenship and I have been living in England for 8 years, hence the need for a local driving licence as well. Anyway I still want to be able to drive in Europe before the next renewal.

Should I renew the Italian one or convert it to a UK licence?

If we put Brexit into the equation I reckon that would be better having both. If so can I do that or the Italian licence has to be converted if I want to keep driving in UK?

Please let me know,

Many thanks,

Fab

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Driving License with dual citizenship (Italian/British)

Post by Wanderer » Sun May 21, 2017 9:54 am

Condor82 wrote:Hi there,

My italian driving licence is expired and I am considering to renew it.

I have Italian and British citizenship and I have been living in England for 8 years, hence the need for a local driving licence as well. Anyway I still want to be able to drive in Europe before the next renewal.

Should I renew the Italian one or convert it to a UK licence?

If we put Brexit into the equation I reckon that would be better having both. If so can I do that or the Italian licence has to be converted if I want to keep driving in UK?

Please let me know,

Many thanks,

Fab
Also you cannot hold two EU licences, you have to hand you old one in on exchange, only way round it is to take a UK driving test as if you've never had a drivers licence, but that would involve lying on the form so not the way to go.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/ve ... dex_en.htm
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....