ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign driving license but with expired IDP

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

WetJeans
Newly Registered

Foreign driving license but with expired IDP

Post by WetJeans » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:10 am

Hi,

I can't seem to find the answer to this question.

My wife has recently become resident. I understand that her foreign (Not EU) license will be valid for 12 months. It's written in Spanish. She got her International Drivers Permit previously for a trip elsewhere, but it's due to run out in a few weeks, before the 12 month period is up.

From what I can see, IDPs aren't legally required to drive in the UK, but are useful for translating the foreign language driving license. Since it's the same foreign driving license and nothing has changed with regards to details on the license, will the soon to be expired IDP still be valid or useful here in the UK? Going back to her country of origin would be insanely expensive just for a new IDP. Is there another option we can explore?

Many thanks.