ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Gift from parent

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Kiz_
Newly Registered

Gift from parent

Post by Kiz_ » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:42 am

Hi,

Is there a limit on the amount of money a parent from India can gift a child resident in the UK? I'm assuming gift from parents would not be taxed.

Child is now a British Citizen.

Thanks,
Kiz

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Gift from parent

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:34 pm

If we are talking about a transfer of cash into the child's bank account then the limit is about £10000 being the annual tax-free allowance in the UK (and yes children's income could be taxed if it's above this). If you were in the UK and and gifting cash and/or property to your children those could be free of inheritance tax depending on how long you live after the gift (sat my tax paper many many years ago so not too familiar with the latest rules).
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Kiz_
Newly Registered

Post by Kiz_ » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:51 pm

When I say child, the child is an adult settled in the UK whose parents are in India. We are wanting to transfer a larger some as this will help us to buy a property here so we can stop paying rent.

I've read somewhere there is a limit of $200k, but information is xcontradictory and not clear.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:00 pm

I am not aware of specific limits - the UK doesn't have exchange or capital controls so generally no limits. There are limits for certain methods of transfer, such as "Faster Payment" but that's UK internal.
One thing to be aware of is that under money laundering regulations banks monitor customer accounts for unusual movements in/out, large cash amounts, and money from abroad, so it may be an idea to tell the bank when a large amount is is expected.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.