ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I've got my visa.... Now what do you guys recommend me n UK?

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

King_Khan

I've got my visa.... Now what do you guys recommend me n UK?

Post by King_Khan » Fri May 08, 2009 10:20 am

Hi guys...

My appeal has been allowed here in Pakistan and i've been given an appointment date in june to submit my passport so i'll get my visa by end of June and i will be moving to London in start of August. What do you guys recommend me in london? For example regarding the shopping, purchasing laptop, mobile n etc... Should i purchase them here in Pakistan or there in london? How to reduce my expenses in london? Should i go for house sharing or separate apartment?? My classes are starting from just end of august so what date would be more appropriate to arrive to london.....etc etc

Any extra advice is also most welcomed.. :lol:

hamid84
Member of Standing

Post by hamid84 » Fri May 08, 2009 7:11 pm

Whatever cheap you can get, get it.

Basic/reliable laptop would cost £150 and can go up to £2000 if you want that good.

We sell nokia 1200 in post office for £20 with £10 credits so if you are happy with basic phones, you can get from UK.

Clothes.. Good jeans costs around £20

Since you are going to stay in london, forget having your own apartment UNLESS you are too much fussy and can afford to pay £800-£1000 a month. Best is to share either room or have full room that would cost around £50-£75 depending on ppl living in house.

Traveling is quite expansive in london but you have no choice. ( Can't buy tickets from Pakistan )

Make sure you spend some time with my aunty to learn cooking otherwise Pitta bread will kill you if you are used to eating Rotiaaan :lol:

In short, spend as little as you can for atleast 6 months. Get used to with everything, then spend.

Hope it was all clear and helpful.
Arrived UK in Dec 2000, Received ILR Oct 2008, Citizenship Approved March 2016.

King_Khan

Post by King_Khan » Sat May 09, 2009 9:54 am

hamid84 wrote:Whatever cheap you can get, get it.

Basic/reliable laptop would cost £150 and can go up to £2000 if you want that good.

We sell nokia 1200 in post office for £20 with £10 credits so if you are happy with basic phones, you can get from UK.

Clothes.. Good jeans costs around £20

Since you are going to stay in london, forget having your own apartment UNLESS you are too much fussy and can afford to pay £800-£1000 a month. Best is to share either room or have full room that would cost around £50-£75 depending on ppl living in house.

Traveling is quite expansive in london but you have no choice. ( Can't buy tickets from Pakistan )

Make sure you spend some time with my aunty to learn cooking otherwise Pitta bread will kill you if you are used to eating Rotiaaan :lol:

In short, spend as little as you can for atleast 6 months. Get used to with everything, then spend.

Hope it was all clear and helpful.

Thx Hamid for your reply..... Yeah it was quite helpful.. I think i should make most of my shopping from here as there is some favorable price difference here as i can buy the best jeans here for around £15, best two piece suit for less than £110 similarly sports shoes and track suits are also very much cheaper here... so i think its better to shop here.

JiyaKhan
Newly Registered

Pakistan Khan

Post by JiyaKhan » Tue May 12, 2009 7:40 pm

Hi dear buy as little things as possible even from Pakistan just buy which is very important and you can buy a jean in ASDA london between 5 to 9 Pounds.
Save ur money and bring what ever is necessary for u like clothes,duvet (Vicky Razai) sum shoes and whatever u think ok for u.
Thanks,
JK

hamid84
Member of Standing

Post by hamid84 » Wed May 13, 2009 8:58 am

We have got lots of Razaaian. On arrival, let me know and i will post you some :lol:

When and where are you coming from?

King_Khan

Post by King_Khan » Thu May 14, 2009 8:44 am

Thanks JK for you advice and again for Hamid as well...

I'm coming from Pakistan and my arrival is expected to be in the first week of august.

Can you guys also tell me how long it would take to get a credit card after opening a bank account?? Which bank do u prefer? Is it mandatory to have a source of income from job or something like it is here in pak?? Actually I have found a great deal from dell and am afraid they don't accept any other source of payment other than credit card.

King_Khan

Post by King_Khan » Thu May 14, 2009 9:47 am

well, i've just found that dell also accepts payments through cheque and wire transfer... But still im curious to know the criteria for obtaining a credit card.

hamid84
Member of Standing

Post by hamid84 » Thu May 14, 2009 10:22 am

You can not get CC right after opening bank account. You will need to build up credit history by making transactions.

Pay everything by your debit card.

Wait for 6 months then apply for CC with any lender who will offer 0% interest for long time. Usually 3 months.

Open bank account in Natwest. HSBC charges £5 a month for international student account. Try Halifax too.

SHARON08
Newly Registered

Post by SHARON08 » Thu May 14, 2009 10:38 am

Hi
i thing in london you will have a lot of cheap shop to be honest..Where about will you be staying or studying? of course if it is central london things will be more expensive but i do not think that when it comes to food (supermarket) or clothes you will have difficulties.

london is metroplolitan you will find everything any type of food, also cheap shops to buy clothes...

i myself have been living in cambrigde for 3 years now that is an expensive city compared to london..

good luck

King_Khan

Post by King_Khan » Thu May 14, 2009 11:25 am

hamid84 wrote:You can not get CC right after opening bank account. You will need to build up credit history by making transactions.

Pay everything by your debit card.

Wait for 6 months then apply for CC with any lender who will offer 0% interest for long time. Usually 3 months.

Open bank account in Natwest. HSBC charges £5 a month for international student account. Try Halifax too.
Thanks again Hamid....