ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Mortgage on a Visa

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

drijess13
Newly Registered
India

Mortgage on a Visa

Post by drijess13 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:36 pm

Hello everyone,

We moved to the UK like 8-9 months ago and currently willing to buy a house but we're unable to get a mortgage being a non UK national. Our visas expire end of 2024 so we currently have over 2 years visa left. We're willing to put in a 15% deposit and our combined salary is roughly around £65k per annum.

Do you think we can get a mortgage in current circumstances?

If yes, can you recommend any mortgage advisors who can help us?

Any replies would be appreciated.

Thank you

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Mortgage on a Visa

Post by Zerubbabel » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:38 pm

Hello,

Google "mortgage adviser" or "mortgage broker" and give them a call to ask.

Last time I checked with 2 highstreet banks, I was told they need to see a permanent residence at least.

I know people with mortgage on permanent residence but not on a definite leave/visa.

The mortgage is a long term contract. Typically, it's in the region of 20/25 years. They need to ensure you are able to earn your money in the UK during that time.

But double check with an adviser they may have a more up to date information.

secret.simon

Re: Mortgage on a Visa

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:21 pm

There is no legal restriction on UK banks/financial institutions giving loans/mortgages to people on a limited visa.

But banks and other institutions will take into account the reason that @Zerubbabel has mentioned above, that mortgages are long term contracts while your visa length is very short term (measured in months, not years). Hence I think it is highly unlikely that you will get a mortgage from UK financial institutions.

I believe (I could be wrong) that some banks on the Subcontinent provide loans to citizens of their countries resident abroad. It may be worth looking at getting a mortgage from such banks, though I am not aware if they require permanent residency or a mere short term visa would do.

Keep in mind that visa policies are likely to change over the medium to long term anyway, for political and economic reasons and it would make more sense to rent in the short-term anyway, until at least one of you has ILR/permanent residency.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.