ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving to London - where to live?

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kabuki
United States of America

Moving to London - where to live?

Post by kabuki » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:57 pm

My partner and I are moving to London in July/Aug and are currently working on a budget for the move as we like to plan ahead and I'll be a full-time student.

London is so big and we really don't know much about the different areas. I'll be attending KCL Waterloo Campus and she'll be freelancing, so mainly working from home. We are currently in Dublin and really like the Rathmines area there. Can someone suggests some areas like that in London?

We are a couple in our mid-20s. We would be looking to rent a place for no more than 180/wk. We would prefer a double in room in a house with a garden to share will others (singles or couples). We would consider an apt if there was a garden and balcony. It would have to be within walking distance from the tube, though I don't mind a 45-min tube ride in the morning. We love art and theatre. Could someone suggest some areas of London to look into? Someone suggested Tooting. Any thoughts?

Cheers.

global gypsy

Post by global gypsy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:35 pm

What's your budget? That's a big determinant on where you can live.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:21 am

You could try Earl's Court

republique
BANNED

Re: Moving to London - where to live?

Post by republique » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:31 am

kabuki wrote:My partner and I are moving to London in July/Aug and are currently working on a budget for the move as we like to plan ahead and I'll be a full-time student.

London is so big and we really don't know much about the different areas. I'll be attending KCL Waterloo Campus and she'll be freelancing, so mainly working from home. We are currently in Dublin and really like the Rathmines area there. Can someone suggests some areas like that in London?

We are a couple in our mid-20s. We would be looking to rent a place for no more than 180/wk. We would prefer a double in room in a house with a garden to share will others (singles or couples). We would consider an apt if there was a garden and balcony. It would have to be within walking distance from the tube, though I don't mind a 45-min tube ride in the morning. We love art and theatre. Could someone suggest some areas of London to look into? Someone suggested Tooting. Any thoughts?

Cheers.
ANYTHING is possible since the property market is a bit soft now but 180/wk is always tough to get in London. It requires a bit of endurance to find it because there are plenty of slum holes in London. I detest London for this reason alone.

global gypsy

Post by global gypsy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:33 am

Oops, missed the £180/wk bit in the original post!

That works out to around £800/month. You would need to move out of central London to find a place for that rent. And don't expect garden etc.

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:02 am

If you move into a South East London Suburb (New Eltham, Sidcup, BexleyHeath etc:) It's a 20 - 30 min train ride into Waterloo and you could rent a house to yourself with your own garden for £800 per month + bills

Sidney Reilly

Post by Sidney Reilly » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:21 pm

If you are looking for somewhere more multicultural, you might want to try Degenham,Barking, East Ham, Brixton, Peckham or Stockwell.

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:20 pm

Sidney Reilly wrote:Degenham,Barking, East Ham, Brixton, Peckham or Stockwell
Coincidentally known as the worst areas to live in London (and UK in general). Add Hackney, Stratford, and Canning Town - and you will have a complete list of places to avoid at all costs.

tomkin

Post by tomkin » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:04 pm

South east london - the cheapest area - arguably- and not so nice.

ThirdWorldTraveller
Member of Standing

Post by ThirdWorldTraveller » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:18 pm

wunder wrote:
Coincidentally known as the worst areas to live in London (and UK in general). Add Hackney, Stratford, and Canning Town - and you will have a complete list of places to avoid at all costs.
Very true. Op doesn't say that he would like to die of knife wound.
Third World Traveller

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:10 pm

HSMP_maybe wrote:
wunder wrote:
Very true. Op doesn't say that he would like to die of knife wound.
I suppose an Estate Agent might call that "An exciting feature of the neighbourhood" :D