Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to!

Login Register Do not show

Non EU car license and insurance

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push

Newly Registered
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:15 am

Non EU car license and insurance

Post by Roonybear » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:15 pm


I am shifting to UK in a few days on a tier 2 visa. I have a non Eu car license which I understand I can use for 12 months.

My plan is to buy a cheap car and get insurance ( yes it’s almost half the price of a car but even insurance for new license holder I hear is expensive). Plus my office location doesn’t have great transport links so i don’t have any option.

My question is after a few months if I apply for a provisional license can I continue to drive my car on the basis of my non Eu license and insurance ( provided it’s still within 12 month window ) till I get the full license ?

User avatar
Respected Guru
Posts: 2448
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:13 am

Re: Non EU car license and insurance

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:21 am


This system will tell you:

Usually, people have 12 months on new EU licenses then they need to get a full UK license to continue to drive.

I tried for my brother once, it's nearly impossible to find an insurer if you hold an non-EU driving license. I am not claiming it's not possible, but I couldn't find any.