Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to!

Login Register Do not show

Provisional Driving Licence

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push

Member of Standing
Posts: 483
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:34 am

Provisional Driving Licence

Post by iwolga » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:01 am

Hi everyone,

I just applied for provisional driving licence online and I received a request to send my ID to DVLA.

I'm holding non-EU passport and EEA2 Family member card. It is not quite clear from the instructions if my BRC is enough (list only mentions BRP ie UK law cards) or shall I be sending my passport as well?

User avatar
Respected Guru
Posts: 2448
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:13 am

Re: Provisional Driving Licence

Post by Zerubbabel » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:05 am


Send the passport as well. They want to see originals before delivering the Driving License as it's in itself a sort of ID.

Newly Registered
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:54 pm

Re: Provisional Driving Licence

Post by crosswind » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:00 pm

The instructions are very clear. Send the BRP only.
Get a special delivery prepaid envelope and send along with it. Don't choose any other way.
Royal mail lost my BRP when I sent it to DVLA. Had to go thru a lot of hassle to get a replacement. I chose "signed-for" and learned my lesson.
Also never send the passport and the BRP together or even keep them together anywhere, even if you travel. Imagine what would happen if you lose both?