ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Received letter from DVLA cancelling my entitlement to drive

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

allegheny722
Newly Registered

Received letter from DVLA cancelling my entitlement to drive

Post by allegheny722 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:43 am

Dear immigration gurus,

I have a slightly complicated situation but nothing extraordinary considering this is the immigration board.

I applied for a Tier 2 visa extension mid 2015 and Home Office sat on the application for 3-4 months awaiting for me to submit an additional fee on basis that my job was not on the shortage occupation list (EVEN THOUGH IT WAS).Upon receiving the request I submitted the paperwork to have the fee deducted from my account immediately but no amount was taken. After 3 months from the day I submitted the application and wIthout informing me that they were now going to decline my application, the HO wrote to my sponsor stating that I did not have the right to work. I did not have my passports nor any other documents returned at this point. As a desperate act I wrote to the Cardiff Office and they agreed to take the fee and process the application, subsequently issuing the Biometric Residence Permit and returning my Passport.

However 5+ months on now from this saga I have just received a letter from the DVLA stating that the agency has been informed by the Home Office that I am not lawfully resident in the UK and that my entitlement to drive should be removed. It goes further to say that my licence will no longer be valid and I will not be legally entitled to drive.
I am also given the option of appealing to the HO and no information of how to do this is mentioned on the letter. The letter only states that the local Magistrates' or Sheriff Court will be able to advise on the appeals process and once this step is taken I can inform the DVLA contact (name and address listed in the letter).

I have written to the contacts in Cardiff for advise but awaiting response. Should I approach the Magistrates Court to lodge an appeal?

Thanks in advance.

geriatrix

Re: Received letter from DVLA cancelling my entitlement to d

Post by geriatrix » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:39 am

Write back to DVLA saying you have been granted extension on approval of an in-time application so there is no reason for them to cancel your license as you were never an overstayer without permission to stay in the UK.

Include copy of the LTR approval letter, and a copy of the new BRP issued.

Likewise, complain to UKVI that their incompetence has led to DVLA cancelling your license despite you being granted extension on approval of an in-time application. Direct them to write to DVLA acknowledging their mistake and reinstate your license.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

allegheny722
Newly Registered

Post by allegheny722 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:18 pm

thank you.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:17 pm

Good luck with DVLA, I had arrhythmia four years ago, no repetition, revoked my licence for six months as they have to after an event like mine, still not got it back!

I worked at DVLA, Morriston, Swansea twice, it's slowwww, sloowww, slowwww, and a bureaucratic nightmare.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

allegheny722
Newly Registered

Post by allegheny722 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:23 pm

@wanderer,

I am writing to DVLA, any tips with regards to which departments within DVLA I can write to?

Must say It's crazy how the agencies are linked together yet equally disconnected with the latest details. Can't wait to become a permanent resident.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:44 pm

allegheny722 wrote:@wanderer,

I am writing to DVLA, any tips with regards to which departments within DVLA I can write to?

Must say It's crazy how the agencies are linked together yet equally disconnected with the latest details. Can't wait to become a permanent resident.
I'm in a huge pile in the DMU (Driver Medical Unit) I don't know any others, I was working on the EVL system and Tachonet, we had no idea of DLVA internally, just see them at Morriston, average IQ of about 6.

Honestly, it would be easier and quicker to pass a test in another EU state and convert to UK licence, I seriously thought about it when I was working in Ireland...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....