ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Returning British Citizen questions

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sadmanonatrain

Returning British Citizen questions

Post by sadmanonatrain » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:15 am

Sorry if this type of question doesn't fit anywhere on this board but I figured someone could help me with some information.

I left the UK in 09/2013. I am a British Citizen who has an English Mother and German Father living in the UK. I was born in Germany and have lived in the UK for 11 years before 'travelling'. My Passport says British Citizen.

I heard that after not having lived in the country for 5 years I wont be entitled to any benefits? (I guess that's understandable). If so what would one need to do to fix that? Are there any other issues I'd need to be aware of when returning? Is the 5 year limit correct?

Thank you.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Returning British Citizen questions

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:21 am

This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Indguru90

Re: Returning British Citizen questions

Post by Indguru90 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:37 pm

sadmanonatrain wrote: I heard that after not having lived in the country for 5 years I wont be entitled to any benefits? (I guess that's understandable). If so what would one need to do to fix that? Are there any other issues I'd need to be aware of when returning? Is the 5 year limit correct?

Thank you.
No. You will however need to satisfy the habitual residence test, which is in two parts: first, you must have a right to reside (you have the right of abode and hence a right to reside). Second, you must intend to settle in the UK (or elsewhere in the Common Travel Area) and make it your home for the time being. If you are not a worker or self-employed, you will normally have to wait three months before claiming benefits.

The article on Colin Yeo's blog alterhase has some general info on this, see also https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benef ... ence-test/.