ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of name in Indian passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

tribalgirl

Change of name in Indian passport

Post by tribalgirl » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:11 pm

Hi All,

I have submitted my Indian passport application online and got an appointment date in May, The name on my previous passport is Surname as First name and First name as Surname and also my surname is spelt wrong. I want to change this as all my documents and birth certificate are with my correct name . Can anybody please guide me as to what all documents are required to do this . And also I have changed my name here in Uk with the deed poll . My question are :

1) Can I just submit the deed poll along with the other documents for name change ?
2) Or do I need to put an advert in newspaper here and in India for name change

Regards

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Re: Change of name in Indian passport

Post by dontringthebell » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:09 pm

tribalgirl wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:11 pm
Hi All,

I have submitted my Indian passport application online and got an appointment date in May, The name on my previous passport is Surname as First name and First name as Surname and also my surname is spelt wrong. I want to change this as all my documents and birth certificate are with my correct name . Can anybody please guide me as to what all documents are required to do this . And also I have changed my name here in Uk with the deed poll . My question are :

1) Can I just submit the deed poll along with the other documents for name change ? should be sufficient, but confirming with high commission via email won't be a bad idea.
2) Or do I need to put an advert in newspaper here and in India for name change

Regards
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

WP-> HSMP-> Tier 2G D-> ILR-> BC-> OCI

tribalgirl

Post by tribalgirl » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:54 am

Hi dontringthebell,

Thanks for you reply but on the HCI London website it says the procedure is to place to adverts one in India and One in U.K and also to get a notarised affidavit . However I have placed and advert in India but the deadline to place a public notice here in UK has passed for the local newspaper . I have read somewhere that I need to place the advert a month before my consulate appointment and my appointment for passport renewal is due on the 9th of next month ,can you please confirm how far is this correct .

Regards
Tribal girl

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:09 pm

tribalgirl wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:54 am
Hi dontringthebell,

Thanks for you reply but on the HCI London website it says the procedure is to place to adverts one in India and One in U.K and also to get a notarised affidavit . However I have placed and advert in India but the deadline to place a public notice here in UK has passed for the local newspaper . I have read somewhere that I need to place the advert a month before my consulate appointment and my appointment for passport renewal is due on the 9th of next month ,can you please confirm how far is this correct .

Regards
Tribal girl

As per the E Section on this link.

https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/page/list- ... t-renewal/

You require three things

1. 2 newpaper notices in India.
2. 2 public documents (PAN/Aadhaar, etc)
3. Deed Poll

Per your original question, I mentioned deed poll since it can be sworn at High Commission itself. Also, I asked to check, since, based on how long you have been outside the country coupled with the fact that most your official documents carry your correct name, newspapers could be done without, though decision can only be taken by the high commission. In short yours is more of a name correction than name change application.

Also, I think you are confusing yourself with local newspaper, since, per the link I shared, both have to be in india. It refers for people who have local and permanent address in one or two different states in India, hence, the notification needs to be made.

However, I request you once again to check with high commission, since you are not changing your name rather getting your name corrected.

Name change is when all your documents carry a different name and you change your name and reapply for documents again. Something like married ladies do. Hope I have made sense.
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

tribalgirl

Post by tribalgirl » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:48 pm

Thanks for your help its much appreciated .It completely makes sense to me . I am a permanent resident of UK as I hold an ILR I don't have any permanent residence in India the only address I have is my Aunt's . I was actually following this website https://www.nriguides.com/change-name-o ... -passport/ and its says even with minor mistakes we still need to apply for re-issue of passport along with the required supporting documents for change of name . I have tried calling the consulate a couple of times and thought various other ways but couldn't get through . Do you know of any email address or telephone number using which I can communicate with them .

Regards
tribal girl

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:53 pm

tribalgirl wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:48 pm
Thanks for your help its much appreciated .It completely makes sense to me . I am a permanent resident of UK as I hold an ILR I don't have any permanent residence in India the only address I have is my Aunt's .

I was actually following this website https://www.nriguides.com/change-name-o ... -passport/ and its says even with minor mistakes we still need to apply for re-issue of passport along with the required supporting documents for change of name . I have tried calling the consulate a couple of times and thought various other ways but couldn't get through . Do you know of any email address or telephone number using which I can communicate with them .I have never consulted that website or another except hci London website. The home page gives you numbers normally available to qnswer between 6-7:30, it is tough to get through though that's how everyone does. You would also find email addresses there on the home page of the link I shared earlier.

Regards
tribal girl