ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changing surname on my Indian passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

uaana
Newly Registered
India

Changing surname on my Indian passport

Post by uaana » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:50 pm

Hi,

I have to renew my passport soon , so I am planning on taking my husband’s surname . In preparation for this process , I contacted VFS and HCI and they have provided with a list of documents required to change name / surname after marriage. Now this is where it gets confusing- an affidavit is not mentioned anywhere on this list , but as I look further into annuxeres section, I can see a separate affidavit specifically designed for spouses who wish to change their surname.
Assuming I have to get this affidavit notarised , I contacted a couple of notary public , but they are charging around £85 . I read somewhere notarising this affidavit cost around £20, so where can I find a good public notary in and around Sheffield with experience in these sort affidavits? Also I would be grateful if someone could advise if this affidavit is mandatory. I am beyond confused :?:

srsw

Re: Changing surname on my Indian passport

Post by srsw » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:19 am

Most of the stuff is now self attested, i.e. you both sign the form/annexure, along with a copy of marriage certificate. You may have to show the original marriage certificate though during your appointment at vfs.

Try to call vfs helpline and they should be able to confirm the correct course of action.

This is what vfs site mentions:

If the applicant is married and his/her spouse name is not entered in the passport, he/she should submit a self-attested photocopy of marriage certificate and self-attested photocopies of Passport of the applicant’s spouse (original Passport & marriage certificate to be submitted at the time of application) for adding spouse name in the new passport. Please refer to the Addition/Deletion of Spouse name.

Change of name subsequent to marriage / remarriage / divorce / death of spouse etc.

The current Passport along with photocopy having valid Visa or Residence Permit is required to be enclosed with self-attested photocopies of pages containing detailed passport particulars, Visa page and the page containing observation (s), if any. In case the latest Passport is additional booklet(s) issued to the original Passport, the additional booklet(s) plus the original Passport must be furnished.
Original marriage certificate with a self-attested photocopy and self-attested photocopies of Passport of the applicant’s spouse (Original Passport to be submitted at the time of application)
or

Remarried applicants applying for change of name/change of spouse’s name will be required to produce the divorce decree (if the divorce decree is issued by the local UK Court, it should be apostilled by the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office)/death certificate in respect of first spouse, marriage certificate from the Registrar of Marriages and photocopy of present spouse’s Passport (original passport to be shown at the time of submission of the application).

Time Frame for service: MINIMUM 8-10 working days in normal cases, from the date of submission of application & 4 – 6 weeks if the application is submitted in any of the centre falling under the jurisdiction of Consulate General of India, Birmingham or Consulate General of India, Edinburgh.

In some cases, clearance/verification is required from the Indian authorities. Processing time would be around MINIMUM 4-6 weeks.

https://www.vfsglobal.com/india/uk/NEW_ ... ort.html#8

But when you download the form from here... https://www.vfsglobal.com/india/uk/pdf/ ... rriage.pdf it does mention in the note as following:

Note:
i. The Affidavit can be sworn before/attested by a Judicial Magistrate or Executive
Magistrate or Notary Public or can be sworn before/attested by the Passport Officer at
High Commission of India, London.

ii. The joint photograph of the couple is to be pasted on the bottom left hand side of
the Affidavit paper and attested by the Judicial Magistrate/Executive Magistrate/Notary
Public with his/her signature and rubber stamps (half on the photograph and half on the
Affidavit. If a joint photograph cannot be affixed, then affidavit should indicate the
reason why it cannot be affixed)

I think the hci or vfs staff will sign on the form and you don't need to notorise the form. As mentioned, try to call vfs helpline and they should be able to confirm.
My advice is based on personal research/experience, so pls check relevant UKVI sources.

Y123m

Re: Changing surname on my Indian passport

Post by Y123m » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:02 am

uaana wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:50 pm
Hi,

I have to renew my passport soon , so I am planning on taking my husband’s surname . In preparation for this process , I contacted VFS and HCI and they have provided with a list of documents required to change name / surname after marriage. Now this is where it gets confusing- an affidavit is not mentioned anywhere on this list , but as I look further into annuxeres section, I can see a separate affidavit specifically designed for spouses who wish to change their surname.
Assuming I have to get this affidavit notarised , I contacted a couple of notary public , but they are charging around £85 . I read somewhere notarising this affidavit cost around £20, so where can I find a good public notary in and around Sheffield with experience in these sort affidavits? Also I would be grateful if someone could advise if this affidavit is mandatory. I am beyond confused :?:
Hi, i have the same query. Can you please tell me if you provided the affidavit? My wife will be changing her surname soon.
Thanks