ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child pasport renewed - no time to renew OCI - urgent travel

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jojo001

Re: Child pasport renewed - no time to renew OCI - urgent travel

Post by jojo001 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:31 am

Indimom wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:23 am
OCI booklets issued after Jan 2015 have the words "Life Long Visa" stamped on them. Why should it be any different from a visa sticker on the passport saying Life Long Visa? This whole thing of you have a sticker so you are good to go is very annoying and disturbing. I wish the govt would have spelled it out in the same notification that the old passport does not need to contain the sticker. It seems the OCI reissue process in US is extremely convoluted because of the documents that CKGS demands. Whereas if done in India it is really very simple.

I thought the OCI process in US is easier?

In the UK we even have to get a letter from employer even for OCI renewals .:-(

jojo001

Post by jojo001 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:35 am

charliep40 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:25 am
jojo001 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:13 pm
In fact they have even removed the requirement about OCI renewals when passport is renewed

All it says now is

Passengers with an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card younger than 21 years must have both passports when the passport number in the OCI card does not match the one in the valid passport.

Passengers with an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card 50 years or older must have both passports when the passport number in the OCI card does not match the one in the valid passport.

Till a week or so above it said

Important:
Passengers who are 20 years and younger must apply for a new OCI card every time they get a new passport.
Passengers who are 21 and younger than 50 years are not required to apply for a new OCI card when they get a new passport. They can present the OCI card with a valid passport.
Passengers older than 50 years must apply for a new OCI on the first renewal of the passport after 50 years. If the OCI card is issued for the first time after the passenger is older than 50 years, there is no need to issue a new OCI every time a new passport is issued.

So they have removed all the ambiguity about OCI renewals
Nice but in case for people over 50 yrs hopefully the airlines after 30 June 2020 read the guidelines properly and able to see all the dates on the passport when it was renewed comparing to the birth date that at least the person has renewed once after he was 50 but still it would be a pain to renew again since the procedure is same as a fresh OCI never mind the fees are negligible but for people leaving a distance away from nearest outsourced centers is a hassle. It kind of defeats the LIFELONG "U" visa sticker in the old passport. So lets what new developments come.

Also where did you see all the ambiguity removed about renewals don't we still have to do once the passport is renewed after 50 ?
What I meant is that they have removed the timeframe for OCI renewals (under 20 and over 50) from the Timatic database even though the official notification has given a 6 month grace period.

The OCI rules have always only required you to renew OCI after you renew foreign passport after 50.

I have never seen a case of anyone having any issues with travel if they carried both passports and if their foreign passport was renewed before 50.

A family member used to be a check in agent for a long time and is very clear about this

charliep40
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by charliep40 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:07 pm

"A family member used to be a check in agent for a long time and is very clear about this"

That's nice very good.

Thanks

shaanm
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by shaanm » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:01 pm

jsms10 wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:06 pm
My experience at JFK boarding Kuwait airways today....when I presented with my kids passport with OCI on the expired passport....they started checking if that was valid for travel....they knew that kids can’t travel on OCI on expired passport...as a backup I had gotten eVisa for the kids and they let us proceed on the basis of it....worthwhile $25 spent....I suggest anyone lacking time to renew OCI apply for an EVisa as a backup to avoid surprises at the airport....else it is a game of luck....

eVisa was quick, I applied on Sunday night and get them within 72 hours of applying.....

Bon Jour!!
What information you filled/selected for the "type of visa" and "last visa number" while applying for e-visa. There is no option of pio or oci.

jojo001

Post by jojo001 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:21 am

If you have taken a visa before put that number.

If you only travelled on an OCI before after acquiring foreign nationality either you can say that you have never travelled to India on a visa or you can put the ici number in the section..