ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

coming from India to get US citizen ship and returning to India

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

nakc
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

coming from India to get US citizen ship and returning to India

Post by nakc » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:03 am

I am a resident of India and recently i have received an invite to get my US citizenship, if i visit USA on an Indian passport, after the oath take expedited US passport ( will get in in a week or so), what are my options to return to India ASAP.
Also I don't have address proof in US as i moved out of USA to India couple of months before getting citizenship invite, will be staying at my friends place.

1. is it OK to take E Visa and return to India using US passport, later return the Indian passport in FRRO office in India and apply for OCI

or do i need to apply for renunciation and visa in USA, which is a long wait of more than 6-8 weeks.
will they process renunciation separately and issue visa with in 10-15 days.
also how can i provide an address proof.

i am confused on which route to take, e-visa and deal with renunciation and oci in india or complete renunciation and visa in USA

secret.simon

Re: coming from India to get US citizen ship and returning to India

Post by secret.simon » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:18 am

As your questions seem to be more about the return to India and procedures to be followed re return to India/surrender of Indian passport, this thread may make more sense in the Other Countries forum rather than the US immigration forum.

As an aside, I am fairly certain that if you acquire US citizenship, you do not renounce Indian citizenship, but it is terminated by law (Section 8 vs Section 9 of the (Indian) Citizenship Act 1955).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.