ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

dual citizenship canada/ireland

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

burntumber
Newly Registered

dual citizenship canada/ireland

Post by burntumber » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:50 pm

hello
i have been toying with the idea of getting a dual citizenship for ireland.
i was born and raised in canada. my mothers side of the family is irish ,but we've been in canada for ages and ages.

i would like to go to ireland and ty to 'work for keep' in hostels just to get a feel for the place then try to get dual citizenship.

is this a good idea? what are my chances? and is it difficult?

thanks a bunch

John

Post by John » Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:11 pm

Your mother? Is she Irish? That is, does she have Irish citizenship? If so, where was your mother born? In Ireland, or not?

If she was not born in Ireland, what about her parents? Where were they born?

In other words, as regards "my mothers side of the family is irish ,but we've been in canada for ages and ages", just how far back are we talking?
John

burntumber
Newly Registered

Post by burntumber » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:42 pm

my irish family have been in canada for many generations probably 4 or 5,mabey even more . so no my mother nor her parents are not really irish. i am just of irish decent.

and this probably means my chnces are as slim as any other immigrant like from eastern europe or nigeria.

what can make immigration more easy? i am considering going to university. or getting a one year work visa,and try to continue from there.

any advice will help
thank you

John

Post by John » Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:28 pm

With the Irish link that far back I don't think you have any extra rights compared to someone who has absolutely no Irish connection at all.

In other words, in your thought process, I think you need to proceed totally ignoring the fact that you are one-sixteenth Irish (4 generations back) or even just one-thirty-second Irish (5 generations back), or indeed even less.

As a Canadian citizen I think you can enter Ireland as a tourist visa-free but you will undoubtedly need a visa for any other purpose, or need a Work Permit to work.

As a Canadian and therefore Commonwealth Citizen, have you considered a UK Working Holidaymaker visa?
John

burntumber
Newly Registered

Post by burntumber » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:31 pm

alright
i figured i didnt have much chance with my distance relatives being irish,but i wanted to make sure,so thanks for your info.

ive just heard that ireland is having some differnces with the EU and there was some sorta crash lately....what is this about?

if i cannot get a dual citizenship i would try to apply for universities there so i can stay along time. right now i have te funds to stay up to 4 months.

if i have to get a one year work visa,is it easy to get while i am in ireland.

i am thinking of going there by june 27

am i taking a dangerous risk?

jjustyy
Ireland

Post by jjustyy » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:46 am

I thought I would post here as it's a similar question.

My Dad (step-father) adopted me when I was 15 (now 10 years ago). He is 1/2 Irish as my Grandmother is Irish.

Would I be eligible for an Irish passport? Or do the links need to be by blood?

John

Post by John » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:00 am

jjustyy, a quick look on Google has thrown up :-

This page from the website of the Irish Embassy in Washington

So OK, your father (by adoption) is Irish. Was he actually born in Ireland, or elsewhere? You will see from that webpage that it will make a difference. Either way, it looks promising!

The adoption aspect. Do check it out but I would be amazed if Irish law treated an adopted child as any different from any other child. You could phone the Irish Embassy in London and check it out.

Burntumber, I think you need to check out this page for information about Irish visas.
John

jjustyy
Ireland

Post by jjustyy » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:13 am

Oh ok, I wasn't clear before.

My Dad is 1/2 Irish, but born in Britain (His Dad was English). His mother is Irish by birth.

So as he is considered an "Irish citizen" it still looks promising due to the fact that he is my father on my updated Birth certificate. 8)

All I would need is my Nan, Dads and my birth certificates and I could be a dual national by the looks of it. Interesting...

Thanks for the info John!

John

Post by John » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:23 am

jjustyy, as far as your father is concerned, it looks as if he can certainly apply to be Irish.

Once he is definitely Irish ... the holder of an Irish passport ... it looks like you will also be able to get an Irish passport.

But do check out the adoption aspect. In which country in the world were you adopted? It might be the case that Ireland recognises only adoptions in certain countries.
John

jjustyy
Ireland

Post by jjustyy » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:26 am

Sorry John I edited the post as you were replying.

I know he wants to get an Irish passport and was saying I should get one too.

He adopted me in England in 1995 so hopefully that should be fine.

burntumber
Newly Registered

Post by burntumber » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:45 pm

alright i decided im going for sure,try to stay one month working for keep in hostels. and try to immigrate. if i cant then i'll apply for university or ........ could it be possible to geta 6month or 1 year work visa while im there? i know they perfer that you apply while in your own country,but its worth a shot.

also....ive met many austrailians,europeans ,and ppl from uk come to canada on one way tickets ...how strict is ireland on proof of exiting?

thanks for all your input,its really helping