ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

GREAT JUST GREAT.......NOT

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

kayanne80
Newly Registered
South Africa

Renewal of RSA passport

Post by kayanne80 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:49 am

Question please
To renew or apply for new RSA passport do you need to show your old expired SA passport??? My son is in SA and applying tomorrow at a local home affairs but I have his old SA passport!!! Will a color copy suffice?

Thanks - stressing!!!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Renewal of RSA passport

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:52 am

My understanding is that yes he does have to show it unless it is lost or stolen.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kayanne80
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by kayanne80 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:03 am

Thanks - easiest way is to declare at a police station then its 'lost'

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:06 am

Probably yes and he will likely need a case reference number and likely an affidavit.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:07 am

If i may ask, why do you have his expired SA passport??

When did it expire?

Is it a child passport issued before he turned 15/16?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

kayanne80
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by kayanne80 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:08 am

Thanks

Read that he would need to report it to the police get a copy of the 'affidavit' and then fill in a lost/stolen signed form at the Home affairs...

kayanne80
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by kayanne80 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:09 am

If i may ask, why do you have his expired SA passport??
He left to SA and entered on a UK one!

When did it expire?
Probably 8 years ago (not sure)

Is it a child passport issued before he turned 15/16?
Yes child passport

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:11 am

Does he realise it is illegal to enter SA on a foreign passport as a South African citizen and SA passport holder?

He also would have only been stamped in on a 90 day visitor visa on a British passport.

Does he have a South African ID book??
Char (CR001 not Casa)

kayanne80
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by kayanne80 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:16 am

Does he realise it is illegal to enter SA on a foreign passport as a South African citizen and SA passport holder?
He went as a holiday and because he has a dual status he can stay (even though technically YES he should have entered on a SA passport) - hence why he is applying for his SA passport now and he is returning to the UK

He also would have only been stamped in on a 90 day visitor visa on a British passport.
Not sure as that passport has expired and sitting at HMPO to be renewed

Does he have a South African ID book??
Yes he is a SA citizen (he has an ID card)

kayanne80
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by kayanne80 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:19 am

Just an update
My son has applied for a new SA passport at his local home affairs this morning in SA

Photos taken at Home affairs, just wanted to see his SA ID card & original birth certificate, asked for his expired passport which he said he lost and nothing else was said & also no mention of dual citizenship or copy of foreign passport - application in and it should take 7-14 working days to collect!

Still waiting for his British Passport which has been sitting at HMPO Durham today a week!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:21 am

Home Affairs sure have jacked up their service in the last year or so. 11 years ago, I had a nightmare dealing with them to get paperwork. Most took almost a year, some they 'couldn't find' and I had to scramble around to send them church copies which they then just stamped and faxed back to me. Some documents I never received before applying for my visa and leaving the Republic.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

kayanne80
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by kayanne80 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:07 am

I applied for an unabridged birth certificate for myself and they missed the last three ID number digits on my certificate for my father which arrived 8 months after I requested it - never amended too much hassle lol...

They surely seemed to have up'd their service - I thought he would wait for hours!

kayanne80
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by kayanne80 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:28 pm

Ok so its been 2 weeks and nothing from the HO in SA about the South African passport - my sister has sms'd them in SA but they said its still in progress! Some of my friends have done the same thing and it took 2 weeks for them.....I am wanting my son to fly Wednesday a week so.....if this passport does not come through by then we are taking a chance and showing proof of the Passport being applied for and waiting for 3 weeks.....

kayanne80
Newly Registered
South Africa

GREAT JUST GREAT.......NOT

Post by kayanne80 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:30 pm

so I followed up with the Home affairs branch to check the progress of my sons SA Passport - no application in progress!!!!!
He has the proof of payment, they took the photos etc.......
The woman I spoke to said he would need to re-apply....WTF

I am so angry beyond belief!

kayanne80
Newly Registered
South Africa

Re: GREAT JUST GREAT.......NOT

Post by kayanne80 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:01 pm

Right so my son has gone to HO again this morning and their system was offline when he went the first time (without being told) anyway, applied again, said they really do need to prioritize this passport as its been 3 weeks now - they said they would (dont believe them), checked and sent a text to check if the application is now in progress and guess what.;........NO APPLICATION IN PROGRESS! (second time round)!!!!!!!!

So........he is flying on Friday with proof of application for a SA passport & his British passport! This is stupidity.........& ridiculous he could be there forever going back and forth!

So if ANYONE has done this before let me know - the HO website states you can do this but its up to the discretion of the border agents.......whether they fine or give you a warning....better than being frustrated and waiting till they get their acts together!!!!!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:55 pm

For info and future reference to avoid any confusion should another person read your post seeking advice.

HO acronym on the forum means the HOME OFFICE in the UK.

Presumably you mean 'HA' for Home Affairs in SA.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

kayanne80
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by kayanne80 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:02 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:55 pm
For info and future reference to avoid any confusion should another person read your post seeking advice.

HO acronym on the forum means the HOME OFFICE in the UK.

Presumably you mean 'HA' for Home Affairs in SA.
correct