ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indian Passport Renewal - change of name to husband's surname, change of address, and addition of husbands name

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ktyagi
India

Indian Passport Renewal - change of name to husband's surname, change of address, and addition of husbands name

Post by ktyagi » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:06 pm

Dear Forum members,

My wife's passport is going to expire in December later this year. Additionally, we were blessed with a baby recently so he will need a new passport. And then, my tier 2 leave to remain will expire in August and I will need to extend it in June-July along with my wife and the baby.

I am planning to get my wife's passport renewed first, then get baby's passport and then apply for tier 2 extension. I am writing here to get some inputs regarding few doubts I am having over my wife's passport renewal. Points to consider and questions I have are:

1. We have been married for 6 years but we never got her name changed. Now since we have to renew her passport we were thinking to get the name changed. So this will still be considered under "Change of name subsequent to marriage / remarriage / divorce / death of spouse etc." . In terms of documents, I have marriage certificate from Indiat. But I am not sure if we will need an affidavit too. http://www.vfsglobal.com/India/UK/NEW_I ... port.html under Change of name subsequent to marriage / remarriage / divorce / death of spouse etc. doesn't say anything about any affidavit.

2. We want address to be printed on my wife's new passport to be my parent's present address in India. (We have been renting in UK and this address could change anytime). The only document containing this address and my wife's name are Aadhar card and a bank account passbook, but both of these documents are in India - which I can get couriered to UK if photocopies won't suffice. Address on my Indian passport and our marriage certificate is my parent's old address (They have relocated to a new address few years ago). Will this cause any complication?

3. When it comes to applying for ILR in 2020, would it cause any problems if all the previous documents like salary slips, P60, and other bills etc will have two names?

I would be very grateful if you guys can give your inputs. Please don't hesitate to mention anything important to be considered that I might have forgotten.

Thanks a lot,
Cheers,
--
KT

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Re: Indian Passport Renewal - change of name to husband's surname, change of address, and addition of husbands name

Post by dontringthebell » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:40 pm

I was in similar situation as yours quite some time back.

Since Indian consulate in the UK no longer makes handwritten observations to effect change in personal particulars, you are required to obtain a new passport. This is better since you can get multiple changes done with one application saving you time and money as opposed to earlier.

You don't need to apply for an Indian passport for your child until you need to travel to India, I say this because you don't need to be in a hurry between now and your Tier 2 extension. You could very well delay applying for the passport until there is a need for travel. Also, you need tier 2 visa stamped on child's passport only to enter back into the UK. Hence, you could save money and apply the same in India. I did so with my child. I have known many people who did not travel to India at all and saved a lot by directly getting a British Passport after there ILR approval, not directing you, but providing you with a perspective, it is not a necessity.

1. For a change of name on your wife's passport, you need to apply for a new passport just provide your Marriage certificate carrying your wife's maiden and married surname. No affidavit required. I always do a cover letter detailing my circumstances, as it avoids any speculation or doubt on officials part and paves way for smooth processing of my applications at Indian consulate or HO.
2. Only Indian Address is mentioned on Indian Passport, no matter where you live in UK. Normally address mentioned on the current passport gets transferred onto the new passport. For address change spouse passport photocopy can be used as proof of address too, however, if I have understood correctly address on your passport is also incorrect, hence, please get a new passport for yourself with correct address and wife's married name and then get her to apply.

Alternatively, If you can keep all documents in one address no matter whether anyone lives there or not you would be good to go. For a passport renewal, no one goes to check/verify your address until you tell them about it. My parents changed the address in India, though my passport carried our old address from India and I have been fine through my immigration journey, now recently British citizen.

3. Nothing causes problems, My wife was on Tier 2 General visa with her maiden name on Indian passport and Tier 2 General visa. All her employment documentation carried her maiden name too. We got her new passport with the change of name in the UK, however, the entry clearance remained on the cancelled passport and we travelled everywhere to Europe with both the cancelled passport carrying her visa with the old name and new passport without any issues. After the name was changed on passport we got her name changed everywhere else too. Come the tier 2 extension application there were no issues whatsoever. So no it would not. Though it's better to get all aligned.