ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalised but travelling on Indian Passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Section6.3
Newly Registered

Naturalised but travelling on Indian Passport

Post by Section6.3 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:51 pm

Hi all,
I had a look around your forum but didn't find one single answer to this question, hence a separate question. (Sorry if I missed it)
I recently attended my naturalisation ceremony (10 days ago) but haven't applied for my UK passport yet. I have some work travel to the US and Mexico in the next couple of weeks and was hoping to use my current Indian passport to travel.
So, is it ok for me to travel with my Indian passport (with ILR) within 90 days after naturalisation and before applying for a UK passport?
What would your advice be on leaving and arriving back in the UK? (i.e what would you write on the Landing card)
Would it have any negative consequences on my arrival/travel to and within the US/Mexico?
Thanks in advance - I really appreciate the help.

geriatrix

Re: Naturalised but travelling on Indian Passport

Post by geriatrix » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:53 pm

From VFS GLobal's website:
Surrender of Indian Passport wrote:The Government of India has prescribed imposition of penalty on a graded scale, depending on the number of trips made on the Indian passport, renewal of Indian passport after acquiring foreign nationality and Retention of Indian Passport for more than 3 years after acquiring foreign nationality, for the violation of Passport Rules ranging from a minimum of £145 up to a maximum of £1088.
From HCI London Website:
Renunciation wrote:The Indian Citizenship Act, 1955, does not allow dual citizenship. Holding Indian passport/acquiring Indian passport/travelling on Indian passport after acquisition of foreign citizenship constitutes an offence under the Indian Passport Act, 1967, and attracts penalties. The Government of India has prescribed imposition of penalty on a graded scale for the violation of Passport Rules, depending on number of trips made on Indian passport after acquiring foreign nationality (with a three month grace period from the date of acquiring foreign nationality i.e. the date of Naturalisation certificate), renewal of Indian passport after acquiring foreign nationality and retention of Indian Passport for more than 3 years after acquiring of foreign nationality. The date on the Naturalisation Certificate will be treated as date of acquiring foreign nationality and hence, it is mandatory for the applicants to produce his / her Naturalisation Certificate for obtaining Surrender Certificate.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:17 pm

Are you talking about the British legal position, the Indian legal position or the US/Mexico legal position?

The UK basically does not care which passport you use.

The Indian legal position has been summarised by sushdmehta.

Not sure about the US/Mexico legal position. With your naturalisation, you have ceased to be an Indian citizen automatically, by action of law. You are allowed to travel with your Indian passport while you get your UK passport. How will the US border agents see that is a known unknown. What I am fairly certain is that if there were an issue, I doubt India will provide consular assistance, whereas the UK probably will.

Section6.3
Newly Registered

Post by Section6.3 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:35 pm

Thank you guys - much appreciated.
Yes, my concern is how the UK will see this when I come back to the country and use the landing card etc like a normal Indian citizen? I've seen discussions where people have gone out of the country with an Indian passport and returned with a UK one through the UK/EU gates. This is my main concern. I appreciate the USA/Mexico question is very specific so unless anyone has had a similar experience, I'll have to keep my fingers crossed when I return.

Any advice/past experiences on returning with an Indian/similar passport on receiving naturalisation would be great!

alladin

Post by alladin » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:59 am

IIRC, you would not need to fill in the landing card when returning to UK as it is only intended for non-UK persons. Since you are naturalized, UKBA will let you in when you arrive. I think since you no longer is an indian citizen, other embassies would need your valid UK passport for any visas etc.

Section6.3
Newly Registered

Post by Section6.3 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:17 pm

Thanks Alladin.
So, are you saying I shouldn't fill in the landing card but show my Indian passport on arrival in the UK and explain my naturalisation situation to the officer here? Or should I just proceed with a Landing card and Indian Passport and not mention the naturalisation at all?
Thanks again!

alladin

Post by alladin » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:21 pm

Section6.3 wrote:Thanks Alladin.
So, are you saying I shouldn't fill in the landing card but show my Indian passport on arrival in the UK and explain my naturalisation situation to the officer here? Or should I just proceed with a Landing card and Indian Passport and not mention the naturalisation at all?
Thanks again!
sorry, what I meant was since you are naturalized, you would not need to fill the landing card and you will be allowed to enter the UK as you are naturalised (It would be easier if you have the proof for naturalization). Expired Indian PP will not be of any use while returning to the UK.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:29 pm

alladin wrote:sorry, what I meant was since you are naturalized, you would not need to fill the landing card and you will be allowed to enter the UK as you are naturalised (It would be easier if you have the proof for naturalization). Expired Indian PP will not be of any use while returning to the UK.
I concur. Although you will need the Indian passport and BRP to travel outside the UK, UK Immigration Officers will treat you as a British citizen. So no landing card required and you can use the British/EEA citizens queue. Carry proof of your citizenship (naturalisation certificate).

Section6.3
Newly Registered

Post by Section6.3 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:34 pm

Thank you so much - I really appreciate the time and effort you guys put into this.
I hope everything ends up being fine!