ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI application for minor, wife's UK visa about to expire

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

boykingin
Newly Registered

OCI application for minor, wife's UK visa about to expire

Post by boykingin » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:49 pm

Hi,

I am about to apply for an OCI card for my 4 month old son. I have a few questions for those in the know-

1. I have ILR while my wife is about to renew her tier-2 dependent visa (she does not qualify for ILR yet). So when I make the OCI application for my son, my wife's UK visa shows as expiring on 28-Oct. Will that cause a problem? (I am unable to wait until my wife's visa is renewed since we need the OCI card by end Nov).

2. After making the online application, how soon can I go for the walk in appointment for OCI? Can I do it the next day itself?

3. WIll I or my wife need to submit our original passports? If yes, how soon will we get back it back?

Thanks in advance for your assistance,
-John.

cfdman

Re: OCI application for minor, wife's UK visa about to expire

Post by cfdman » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:53 am

boykingin wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:49 pm
1. I have ILR while my wife is about to renew her tier-2 dependent visa (she does not qualify for ILR yet). So when I make the OCI application for my son, my wife's UK visa shows as expiring on 28-Oct. Will that cause a problem? (I am unable to wait until my wife's visa is renewed since we need the OCI card by end Nov).
No, it is not an issue. You will be fine with your Wife's UK visa which is soon expiring.
boykingin wrote:
2. After making the online application, how soon can I go for the walk in appointment for OCI? Can I do it the next day itself?
Why not. But be prepared to wait longer (unless you join the queue pretty early in the moring before opening time). Also, they insist you to fork-out £14+ for DX courier service (you may need 2 of them) as you do a walk-in and not having an appointment.
boykingin wrote:
3. WIll I or my wife need to submit our original passports? If yes, how soon will we get back it back?
Your original passports will be returned immediately after verification in the counter. So no need to worry about that. Don't forget to self-attest the passport copies though.

boykingin
Newly Registered

Post by boykingin » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:54 pm

Thank you very much for the prompt response cfdman.

I have one other Q - is it necessary to get my sons' UK birth certificate apostlled for the OCI application? I read somewhere that they dont insist on this.

Thanks.

cfdman

Post by cfdman » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:09 pm

The birth certificate issued by the council (the full birth ertificate, which has both parents name and details) is good enough for OCI. No need for apostled documents.

boykingin
Newly Registered

Post by boykingin » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:10 pm

Thanks again cfdman!

boykingin
Newly Registered

Post by boykingin » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:59 am

Hi,

Just wanted to know, in case OCI card gets delayed, can I get a tourist e-visa (1 year) for my son? Will the fact that he has made an application for OCI make him ineligible to apply for a evisa?

Thanks in advance.

xebec
Australia

Post by xebec » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:41 am

No the two visas are mutually exclusive so you can apply for the evisa.

What matters is the visa type you use when you enter India - whatever visa class you use to enter, you can only enjoy those rights while in the country - eg you cannot claim OCI privileges if you enter on an eVisa even though the OCI might have been granted in your absense.