ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI for foreign spouse with dual citizenship in UK

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

cyborg001

OCI for foreign spouse with dual citizenship in UK

Post by cyborg001 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:29 pm

Hello,

I'm an ex-Indian national who now holds British citizenship and OCI. My wife (of non-Indian origin) holds both British and Irish citizenship and we live in London. We want to apply for her OCI but have a few questions:
  • Does it matter which nationality she uses to apply for her OCI in UK? Her British passport expires in a year but her Irish passport has long validity left so we would like to use that one ideally.
  • If she uses her British passport now but renews it next year, does the OCI booklet (which contains foreign passport number) need to be updated with it, or can she simply start using her new British passport with OCI booklet to travel?
  • Can an OCI holder travel to India with less than 6 months validity remaining on the foreign passport?
  • Any other tips or things or special documents to watch out for?
Many thanks!

Platypus
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Re: OCI for foreign spouse with dual citizenship in UK

Post by Platypus » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:45 am

Hi,

My wife was in the same boat (UK/Canadian citizen). We applied for her OCI earlier this month in London. They said she can apply under either passport.

If you apply under a passport that has expired, the booklet will simply state the old passport number. My booklet (2006) states a previous passport number. I just carry the previous (expired) passport with me, in case any issues when arrive in India. In the last 10 years, I've gone in and out of India at least 10 times and this has never been an issue, nor have they ever asked for the previous passport at the airport. However, the Indian consulate can update the booklet for you, (Google "OCI Miscellaneous services").

I'm not sure about the <6 month travelling to India question.

One added thing, there is a new process (as of this month) that we had to do - where all OCI applications under for a foregin spouse must go to the Indian Consulate between 11-12 pm for a short interview. We were not aware of this, wasnt on the website. When we arrived at VFS for our 9AM appointment, they informed us of it. At consulate interview, they check over documents, ask you a few basic questions and sign the forms. then you have to go back to VFS to submit. :?

All the best