ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI for UK born child

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

hemant_lakhani

OCI for UK born child

Post by hemant_lakhani » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:01 pm

Hi, I need help to apply OCI for new born baby, born in U.K.
I and my wife both are from India origin, now we are UK citizens, hold UK Passport and have OCI.
The baby is now born in the UK, and I am looking to apply for child OCI.
Please help me with below queries.
1) my understanding is my child is eligible for OCI because parents have OCI, would like to confirm.
2) I believe I will have to first get UK passport before applying for child OCI, is this correct?
3) is there any guideline for child travel to India, something like No passport
/ visa required until certain age if travelling with parents with appropriate visa/OCI ?
Not sure if babies have any relaxation on these travel ids/ visa.
Please advise. Thanks

annpgeorge

Re: OCI for UK born child

Post by annpgeorge » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:19 am

hemant_lakhani wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:01 pm
Hi, I need help to apply OCI for new born baby, born in U.K.
I and my wife both are from India origin, now we are UK citizens, hold UK Passport and have OCI.
The baby is now born in the UK, and I am looking to apply for child OCI.
Please help me with below queries.
1) my understanding is my child is eligible for OCI because parents have OCI, would like to confirm.
2) I believe I will have to first get UK passport before applying for child OCI, is this correct?
3) is there any guideline for child travel to India, something like No passport
/ visa required until certain age if travelling with parents with appropriate visa/OCI ?
Not sure if babies have any relaxation on these travel ids/ visa.
Please advise. Thanks
Hi,
Congratulations on the new baby.

Yes, your baby is eligible for OCI based on your origin.
Yes, you will need to passport first before applying for OCI (just send in either yours or spouse's last Indian passport as proof which I did for our children).
All children do need a passport these days. It used to be possible until the 80s when a child could be added to mum's passport (know this from experience as myself and my siblings were added to our mum's passport) but not anymore.
Hope this helps.
Ann