ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI or Indian birth registration first for newborn

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

bridge21
Newly Registered

OCI or Indian birth registration first for newborn

Post by bridge21 » Tue May 04, 2021 10:17 pm

Hello,

I need advise for new newborn, who is born in UK this year. Both the parents of the newborn are Indian passport holders with UK ILR. Kid is born after our ILR, and kids' British passport application is underway.

Now, do I need to register the kids birth at Indian embassy first or directly apply for OCI?

If it is latter (to apply OCI directly), is there any advantage or need to register the kids birth at the embassy to server any other purpose later?

Thanks in advance.

mesn
Member of Standing
Mood:

Re: OCI or Indian birth registration first for newborn

Post by mesn » Thu May 06, 2021 9:57 am

bridge21 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:17 pm
Hello,

I need advise for new newborn, who is born in UK this year. Both the parents of the newborn are Indian passport holders with UK ILR. Kid is born after our ILR, and kids' British passport application is underway.

Now, do I need to register the kids birth at Indian embassy first or directly apply for OCI?

If it is latter (to apply OCI directly), is there any advantage or need to register the kids birth at the embassy to server any other purpose later?

Thanks in advance.
You can directly apply for OCI. If you register his birth at IHC, then he will be an Indian by Registration. If not, he can apply for an OCI based on parent's Indian origin.
T2G 2015, T2 Switch 2018, ILR 2020, BC 2021, British Passport 2022, OCI 2022

wk21
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Re: OCI or Indian birth registration first for newborn

Post by wk21 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:55 pm

mesn wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:57 am
bridge21 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:17 pm
Hello,

Thanks in advance.
You can directly apply for OCI. If you register his birth at IHC, then he will be an Indian by Registration. If not, he can apply for an OCI based on parent's Indian origin.
If your child already has British Citizenship, the child should get an OCI directly.

As mentioned above, registration would be registering your child as an Indian citizen, which may be problematic since India does not allow dual citizenship.