ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com


Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, Administrator

Post Reply
Rimas15
Newly Registered
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:59 pm

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by Rimas15 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:23 pm

@Gnansekar

Try checking the status here https://ociservices.gov.in/statusEnqury

Sometimes, try clearing your browser history and it works.

I have also registered for VFS text services but no communication since application.




Gnanasekar wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:41 am
Rimas15 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:28 pm
Timeline of New OCI application: self + child

Application Date: 04/12/2020
VFS Center: Belfast
Date of acknowledgment: 09/12/2020
Original docs Received back: 11/12/2020
Documents Printing Status: 04/01/2021
Dispatched From MEA (OCI) New Delhi: 04/01/2021
Document received At London: 04/01/2021
Dispatched by VFS:
OCI DOCUMENT RECEIVED:

Looks like a long project is coming to an end. This Immigrationboards forum has been great help throughout the journey starting from ILR, Citizenship, UK Passport, Passport surrender and OCI.
Hi, could I ask how you are checking the status as the HCI OCI status check is constantly saying unavailable for the past few days for me.

I have registered with VFS for updates but nothing seen yet. Looking above another member who submitted same day as mine in Goswell seem to have received updates.

HSBilling
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:29 pm

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by HSBilling » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:34 pm

My OCI has been processed and its says documents dispatched from mea and received at London on 04/01/21,
I just check that the VFS centre in Hounslow is closed. What will happen now? Where will my OCI be? Please help me

Gnanasekar
Junior Member
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:13 pm

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by Gnanasekar » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:26 pm

Gnanasekar wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:58 pm
Gnanasekar wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:23 am
Minor NEW OCI Application

Application Date: 07/12/20
VFS Center: Goswell Road, London
Date of acknowledgment:
Original docs Received back: 10/12/20
Documents Printing Status:
Dispatched From New Delhi (OCI):
Document received At London:
Dispatched by VFS: 06/01/2021
OCI DOCUMENT RECEIVED: 07/01/2021

Minor OCI Renewal (New Passport)

Application Date: 10/12/20
VFS Center: Goswell Road, London
Date of acknowledgment: 11/12/20
Original docs Received back:
Documents Printing Status:
Dispatched From New Delhi (OCI):
Document received At London:
Dispatched by VFS: 22/12/20
OCI DOCUMENT RECEIVED: 23/12/20
Thank you Rimas15 for your earlier response. I was still unable to track but received a text from VFS yesterday and the New OCI was delivered today.

Rimas15
Newly Registered
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:59 pm

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by Rimas15 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:33 am

Happy days! Mine arrived today. Some relief now.
Good luck to everyone in process of OCI.

Gnanasekar wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:26 pm
Gnanasekar wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:58 pm
Gnanasekar wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:23 am
Minor NEW OCI Application

Application Date: 07/12/20
VFS Center: Goswell Road, London
Date of acknowledgment:
Original docs Received back: 10/12/20
Documents Printing Status:
Dispatched From New Delhi (OCI):
Document received At London:
Dispatched by VFS: 06/01/2021
OCI DOCUMENT RECEIVED: 07/01/2021

Minor OCI Renewal (New Passport)

Application Date: 10/12/20
VFS Center: Goswell Road, London
Date of acknowledgment: 11/12/20
Original docs Received back:
Documents Printing Status:
Dispatched From New Delhi (OCI):
Document received At London:
Dispatched by VFS: 22/12/20
OCI DOCUMENT RECEIVED: 23/12/20
Thank you Rimas15 for your earlier response. I was still unable to track but received a text from VFS yesterday and the New OCI was delivered today.

alltheway12
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:53 am

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by alltheway12 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:02 am

New OCI application for a minor

Application Date: 12/12/2020
VFS Center: London Goswell
Date of acknowledgment: 16/12/2020
Original docs Received back: 21/12/2020
Documents Printing Status: NA
Dispatched From MEA (OCI) New Delhi: NA
Document received At London: NA
Dispatched by VFS: NA
OCI DOCUMENT RECEIVED: NA

Unfortunately, we are moving end of the month and given that VFS and HCI is closed I am a little nervous if we'll get the OCI on time

tier2g
Junior Member
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:17 pm

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by tier2g » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:26 pm

Hi All,

I'm applying for my kid's UK passport. Could you pls advise if the below process is correct to apply for OCI?
Any useful links for the below process will be helpful. It's the online process or we have to manually submit an application at the VFS office?

1. Surrender Indian passport?
2. Apply for OCI?

Thanks

lifeRockss1
Member
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:08 pm

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by lifeRockss1 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:11 pm

tier2g wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:26 pm
Hi All,

I'm applying for my kid's UK passport. Could you pls advise if the below process is correct to apply for OCI?
Any useful links for the below process will be helpful. It's the online process or we have to manually submit an application at the VFS office?

1. Surrender Indian passport?
2. Apply for OCI?

Thanks
that sounds about right, but you will have to wait for the surrender certificate to arrive before you can apply for OCI.
And I am not sure if there is a way to surrender the passport as all consulates are closed until Feb.

alltheway12
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:53 am

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by alltheway12 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:39 pm

Finally some progress, still waiting to receive but almost there. Thanks for all the help 🙏

Application Date: 12/12/2020
VFS Center: London Goswell
Date of acknowledgment: 16/12/2020
Original docs Received back: 21/12/2020
Documents Printing Status: 18/01/2021
Dispatched From MEA (OCI) New Delhi: 18/01/2021
Document received At London: 18/01/2021
Dispatched by VFS: NA
OCI DOCUMENT RECEIVED: NA

alltheway12 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:02 am
New OCI application for a minor

Application Date: 12/12/2020
VFS Center: London Goswell
Date of acknowledgment: 16/12/2020
Original docs Received back: 21/12/2020
Documents Printing Status: NA
Dispatched From MEA (OCI) New Delhi: NA
Document received At London: NA
Dispatched by VFS: NA
OCI DOCUMENT RECEIVED: NA

Unfortunately, we are moving end of the month and given that VFS and HCI is closed I am a little nervous if we'll get the OCI on time

alltheway12
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:53 am

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by alltheway12 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:37 pm

alltheway12 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:39 pm
Finally some progress, still waiting to receive but almost there. Thanks for all the help 🙏

Application Date: 12/12/2020
VFS Center: London Goswell
Date of acknowledgment: 16/12/2020
Original docs Received back: 21/12/2020
Documents Printing Status: 18/01/2021
Dispatched From MEA (OCI) New Delhi: 18/01/2021
Document received At London: 18/01/2021
Dispatched by VFS: 25/02/2021
OCI DOCUMENT RECEIVED: 26/02/2021

alltheway12 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:02 am
New OCI application for a minor

Application Date: 12/12/2020
VFS Center: London Goswell
Date of acknowledgment: 16/12/2020
Original docs Received back: 21/12/2020
Documents Printing Status: NA
Dispatched From MEA (OCI) New Delhi: NA
Document received At London: NA
Dispatched by VFS: NA
OCI DOCUMENT RECEIVED: NA

Unfortunately, we are moving end of the month and given that VFS and HCI is closed I am a little nervous if we'll get the OCI on time

ssp_71023
Newly Registered
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:05 pm

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by ssp_71023 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:40 pm

Apologies in advance if this is not the appropriate place to post my concern regarding renewal of OCI.

I have been reading few posts that OCI renewal is required every time on issue of new UK passport if the person is under the age of 20 (i,e. every 5 years) and once over the age of 50. All the posts I have read so far refer to the https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/page/oci-card/ website however the official Bureau of Immigration site mentions:-

Overseas Citizen Of India (OCI) :-
Passengers who are carrying old cancelled passports having Life Long Indian "U" Visa Sticker affixed on it along with new passport are allowed entry into India.
Even if the OCI card holder acquires nationality of a different country, except that of Pakistan and Bangladesh, he/she is also allowed entry into India provided he/she is carrying his/her old passport having Life Long Indian "U" Visa sticker pasted on it along with the new passport of the recently acquired nationality.

Here is the link :- https://boi.gov.in/content/visa-requirement

Please could anybody shed some light if they have come across this before? Many thanks in advance.

niv.niv.n
Newbie
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by niv.niv.n » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:48 am

Recieved my OCI on 26th Jan. Applied on 21st Dec ...approvals & docs recieved on 18th Jan.

ssp_71023
Newly Registered
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:05 pm

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by ssp_71023 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:08 pm

ssp_71023 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:40 pm
Apologies in advance if this is not the appropriate place to post my concern regarding renewal of OCI.

I have been reading few posts that OCI renewal is required every time on issue of new UK passport if the person is under the age of 20 (i,e. every 5 years) and once over the age of 50. All the posts I have read so far refer to the https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/page/oci-card/ website however the official Bureau of Immigration site mentions:-

Overseas Citizen Of India (OCI) :-
Passengers who are carrying old cancelled passports having Life Long Indian "U" Visa Sticker affixed on it along with new passport are allowed entry into India.
Even if the OCI card holder acquires nationality of a different country, except that of Pakistan and Bangladesh, he/she is also allowed entry into India provided he/she is carrying his/her old passport having Life Long Indian "U" Visa sticker pasted on it along with the new passport of the recently acquired nationality.

Here is the link :- https://boi.gov.in/content/visa-requirement

Please could anybody shed some light if they have come across this before? Many thanks in advance.
Anybody able to advice please? I'm assuming an embassy being an extension of Bureau of Immigration (BOI) in any country, the information on BOI site should be considered as source of record as compared to a high commission in any country?

Has anybody faced any issues carrying all the old passports after the 31st Dec 2020? Biological changes in facial features is understood of, but the main linkage is the passport and lifelong visa number to prove the identity. Appreciate any response.

ssp_71023
Newly Registered
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:05 pm

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by ssp_71023 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:01 pm

xebec wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:36 am
All original documents are returned.

The OCI is a visa that is valid for life. This is subject to eligibility conditions (eg not working for a military) so it can be revoked if the holder does not meet the eligibility criteria.

The OCI card is the ICAO-compatible booklet that you get as proof you hold an OCI visa. It's not a passport. Depending on the age of the person, this needs to be renewed to keep up with facial changes.

See; https://www.vfsglobal.com/india/austral ... rvice.html
Dear xebec,

I have read couple of posts from you from 2019 and 2020 and appreciate the input however I seem to have conflicting information with regards to renewal of OCI and hence tend to disagree with your posts. The official Bureau of Immigration (BOI) site mentions that as long as you carry your old passport(s) alongwith the OCI booklet, entry is allowed. Please find details here https://boi.gov.in/content/visa-requirement

Here is the detail from the site -
Overseas Citizen Of India (OCI) :-
Passengers who are carrying old cancelled passports having Life Long Indian "U" Visa Sticker affixed on it along with new passport are allowed entry into India.
Even if the OCI card holder acquires nationality of a different country, except that of Pakistan and Bangladesh, he/she is also allowed entry into India provided he/she is carrying his/her old passport having Life Long Indian "U" Visa sticker pasted on it along with the new passport of the recently acquired nationality.

Secondly, some of my friends and I have travelled to India (Mumbai) in the last quarter of 2019 / first quarter of 2020 on the above basis and no questions were asked at immigration. If your documentation is in order, it is not at the immigration officer's discretion to allow or deny entry unless anything outside of the documentation needs attention (criminal offence or similar).

Lastly, https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/page/recen ... rs-on-oci/ >>https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/docs/16105196161.pdf which is from the High Commission of London mentions of relaxation of OCI renewal until 30th June 2021. This may be due to many people referring to the details from the ultimate authority in this regard i.e. BOI.

With all due respect to HCI, London, they should probably coordinate with BOI and point to the BOI site for such information. And not to mention, VFS themselves should probably focus on providing guidance on making applications to provide service only rather than provide information regarding legal requirements in any way shape or form.

Nature11
Junior Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat May 30, 2020 3:47 pm
Mood:

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by Nature11 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:55 pm

Hello,

are they considering OCI application at the moment?

Thanks

madansowmiya21
Newbie
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:09 am
India

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by madansowmiya21 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:35 am

Hi All,

I am going to apply for British passport and I am Indian, once I received my British Passport, I would like to apply for OCI card, could anyone please share your experience, I have read some post that VFS closed till Feb 2021. Process of applying OCI card. Thanks

Vidit32
Newly Registered
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:15 pm
India

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by Vidit32 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:44 pm

Hello Everyone,

Hci have opened consular services, you can book an appointment from 1st March 21 through HCI site, anyone waiting please get it booked before it gets fully booked.

dhruv4500
Newly Registered
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 11:58 am
Mood:

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by dhruv4500 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:27 pm

Hi, I have filled my OCI application in Oct 2020 but have not managed to get an appointment since then,
1. Is my application still valid or do I have to make a new OCI application and
2. If my application is still valid, Do I have to re-submit my documents again since it's nearly 5 months.
Does VFS have any criteria for documents to be not older than 3 months?

I have emailed and rang VFS services with the above question but no response :(

(i was able to re-print my submitted application from https://ociservices.gov.in/welcome)

Thanks.

AnjUK1
Newly Registered
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:44 am
India

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by AnjUK1 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:48 am

Has anybody managed to get an appointment for OCI? I am not able to book through the HCI website. It doesn't let you click on the open dates and looks like all the dates are already booked.

ssm18
Newly Registered
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:55 pm
India

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by ssm18 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:24 pm

AnjUK1 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:48 am
Has anybody managed to get an appointment for OCI? I am not able to book through the HCI website. It doesn't let you click on the open dates and looks like all the dates are already booked.
Hey, we had the same problem and finally managed to get an appointment today for the 1st of April. The slots are released at 18:30 GMT so make sure you book it immediately as they fill up within 2-3 mins.

Shah05
Member
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:30 am

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by Shah05 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:43 pm

Thank you for the information, I have been trying for two days to get an appointment but yes no LUCK! Will try my luck around 6.30.

amazingneo
Newly Registered
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:00 am

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by amazingneo » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:19 am

Does anyone know if Royal mail pre-paid self-printed labels will be accepted with OCI application at VFS Hounslow? The Royal mail website shows that the printed label is valid for 7 working days, but I guess the OCI application processing will take more than 7 working days, so eventually when HCI/VFS attempts to use that label (envelop) it would have been expired.

Any suggestions?

bcilr18
Junior Member
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:29 pm
Mood:

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by bcilr18 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:41 pm

Hi,

Are only London VFS centres open now? I am looking for a date in Manchester and seems like they are closed. Anyone else looking for OCI appt in Manchester?

Thanks

amazingneo
Newly Registered
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:00 am

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by amazingneo » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:18 am

bcilr18 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:41 pm
Hi,

Are only London VFS centres open now? I am looking for a date in Manchester and seems like they are closed. Anyone else looking for OCI appt in Manchester?

Thanks
Yes, London is now open. Appointments resumed from 1st March.

nn7
Newly Registered
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by nn7 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:23 pm

Hi dhruv4500

Did you get any response regarding your query? I have similar issue as I had submitted my documents in December and now have my new appointment date in April. I am not sure if I need to resubmit fresh documents including company letter etc. or if I continue to use my previously submitted form.

Please do let us know if you get a response or how your appointment goes.

Many thanks

dhruv4500 wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:27 pm
Hi, I have filled my OCI application in Oct 2020 but have not managed to get an appointment since then,
1. Is my application still valid or do I have to make a new OCI application and
2. If my application is still valid, Do I have to re-submit my documents again since it's nearly 5 months.
Does VFS have any criteria for documents to be not older than 3 months?

I have emailed and rang VFS services with the above question but no response :(

(i was able to re-print my submitted application from https://ociservices.gov.in/welcome)

Thanks.

rons4174
Newly Registered
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:13 pm
Mood:
India

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by rons4174 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:28 am

Hello Everyone,

Trying hard to get a date for OCI appointment in London. Any idea best way to get a date? Seems like everything is booked. I need to travel in April but need the OCI date as eVisa are not available right now.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ronak

Post Reply
cron