ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

peejay

Re: OCI recieving after approval

Post by peejay » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:09 pm

rakh wrote:
peejay wrote:
rakh wrote:
peejay wrote:Does anyone know how long it take to recieve OCI by post after its granted. Mine was approved on 2nd Feb and have sent my passport by post to get it. How long it will take to recieve now?
mine was also approved on 2nd feb, what documents you sent..checked with my friend and he received the OCI and passport back in 2 weeks
I sent the print out of online status and UK passport with sp del envelope. So what we get - OCI sticker in passport - anything else?
hi peejay

have you applied by post to recieved your OCI, i applied on 2nd feb by post..not heard anything so far

cheers
No nothing yet!! Hopefully will recieve something soon...let me know if you get something in meantime

valsad
India

photo spec for OCI

Post by valsad » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:14 am

Hi,

I am in confusion about photo specification for OCI. London website says 51mm * 51 mm photo and Birmingham website says 35mm * 35 mm. Now where the hell in the UK is anybody going to get 51*51mm photos done, I don't know. Also UK passport spec are different than 35*35mm.

Whenever I apply, will be applying in person at birmingham. (Although, from anywhere you apply in the world, we are sure to receive a 4th or even 100th class service from Indian embassy)

Other thing is, I have my current Indian passport with all UK visas in it and also an old cancelled Indian passport with no visas in it. So will it be ok if I send only my latest Indian passport for surrender and keep the old one with me.

rakh

Post by rakh » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:13 am

peejay wrote:
rakh wrote:
peejay wrote:
rakh wrote: mine was also approved on 2nd feb, what documents you sent..checked with my friend and he received the OCI and passport back in 2 weeks
I sent the print out of online status and UK passport with sp del envelope. So what we get - OCI sticker in passport - anything else?
hi peejay

have you applied by post to recieved your OCI, i applied on 2nd feb by post..not heard anything so far

cheers
No nothing yet!! Hopefully will recieve something soon...let me know if you get something in meantime
recieved my OCI on saturday 13/02/2010

peejay

Post by peejay » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:40 am

rakh wrote:
peejay wrote:
rakh wrote:
peejay wrote:
hi peejay

cheers
When did you posted your passport?

rakh

Post by rakh » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:04 am

peejay wrote:
rakh wrote:
peejay wrote:
rakh wrote: hi peejay

cheers
When did you posted your passport?
posted on 2nd feb

sidster007

OCI application

Post by sidster007 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:42 am

Dear friends,

I applied for OCI on the 1st of Feb via post and still don't see an acknowledgement of my application online. When I input my online registration number into the MHA website (online status enquiry) it just says that an application with this number has not yet been acknowledged. Should I be worried?is it worth calling the HCI to find out what's happening with my application?

benz52

5 weeks and waiting

Post by benz52 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:16 am

My OCI app was received by HCI on 13th January. Yet no acknowledgement. I am not worried though as I'm in no rush. I've sent them a casual mail asking them about the acknowledgement.

edwine
Newly Registered

Post by edwine » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:09 pm

chakku71 wrote:
gkh wrote:I got my SC yesterday... will be applying for OCI today...
:D
Applied for SC on 02/12/2009
Received by Embassy on 03/12/2009
Recieved SC on 16/12/2009
Can we not apply for surrender certiificate and OCI at one go attaching the fee as well as the application forms for both?

msbabu
Newly Registered

Post by msbabu » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi All

I applied for OCI , after 5 months it got approved, went to collect it personally, submitted in the morning, went back to collect in the evening, HCI gave me someone else passport , when i said this is not mine, they asked me if i had given them a passport in the morning, i said i would not be standing here if i had not submitted as i had a token, then the officer said he will look into it and came back and said he found the oci card but my passport is lost and could not find in the office, he said he would check with the counter guy and get back, on myway back i recd a call from the officer saying the person who recd my passport by mistake had called and would return the passport. i picked it up the following day, leave alone the mental tension i gone through dealing with hci to get the oci and collect it from them. but for a change the officer at the counter was helpful on that day.... he was surprised how the hell they could misplace a passport in their own office.

I just wanted to know, how my passport went out of the office without oci in it and how did the person who recd had returned it later .....

do you guys think there is any foul play inside ..... i am hearing horrible stories nowadays regarding passports.....

MSBabu

SidB

Waiting Times at London HCI

Post by SidB » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:15 am

Hi,
My OCI has been granted and I need to get it stamped on my passport. I will be going to London OCI in person since I need to travel in 3 weeks and am not sure whether they will stamp & return on time by post.

For those of you who have been to embassy recently, can you advise:
1. What is a good time to reach the embassy? I know the counter open at 8:30am but do I need to start queuing much earlier?
2. Are there multiple counters there? If so, which counter do I need to queue at?
3. I need to be at work that day so can someone advise what is the average waiting time before you are seen?

Will be very grateful if someone can help.

Many thanks

sidster007

Post by sidster007 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:19 pm

Dear friends,

Hope you’re all doing well. I applied for OCI via post on 30th Jan and still have not received an online acknowledgement of my application (tried to look up my online application reference number on the Ministry of Home Affairs website).

http://mha.nic.in/uniquepage.asp?Id_Pk=553

I am now getting worried as its been over 3 weeks and no sign of an acknowledgement. I have called the HCI London (02078368484) for the last 3 days and at different times of the day but no one picks up the phone !!

Is there any other number I can try? Alternatively what’s the best way to get an update on my application? I am quite keen to get this done as I may be leaving the UK for a couple of years in May for work.

SidB

Post by SidB » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:17 pm

Hi,

All you can do is wait..We all know that HCI is facing a massive increase in application. My own application was acknowledged after 2 and a half weeks. After that, there was no progress was over 8 weeks. There is still a considerable amount of time to May so hopefully you'll be fine.

sidster007 wrote:Dear friends,

Hope you’re all doing well. I applied for OCI via post on 30th Jan and still have not received an online acknowledgement of my application (tried to look up my online application reference number on the Ministry of Home Affairs website).

http://mha.nic.in/uniquepage.asp?Id_Pk=553

I am now getting worried as its been over 3 weeks and no sign of an acknowledgement. I have called the HCI London (02078368484) for the last 3 days and at different times of the day but no one picks up the phone !!

Is there any other number I can try? Alternatively what’s the best way to get an update on my application? I am quite keen to get this done as I may be leaving the UK for a couple of years in May for work.

SidB

Post by SidB » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:18 pm

All - Can anyone help me on this please?

My OCI has been granted and I need to get it stamped on my passport. I will be going to London OCI in person since I need to travel in 3 weeks and am not sure whether they will stamp & return on time by post.

1. What is a good time to reach the embassy? I know the counter open at 8:30am but do I need to start queuing much earlier?
2. Are there multiple counters there? If so, which counter do I need to queue at?
3. I need to be at work that day so can someone advise what is the average waiting time before you are seen?

Many thanks

jigar97
Newly Registered

New to OCI

Post by jigar97 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:11 pm

Dear all,

I'm about to apply for OCI, I am British citizen, I was born in India, i have had Indian Passport before, I still have it, its expired (do i still need to Surround that)?
Thank you for your help.
J

zi1bbs
Newly Registered

Re: OCI Birmingham

Post by zi1bbs » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:37 pm

indianadr wrote:
planet_master wrote:HI Mallick Please let me know if you get the acknowlegdement from CGI.. I applied in Nov 09 but stil havent received.. checked online many times.. very disappointed by cgi service.. no one replies neither they answer the phone call... dunno how im gonna find out my oci status and i need to go india in march
indianadr wrote:Hi All,

I would like to know if anyone received recently acknowledgement from CGI Birmingham for OCI.

I applied by post on 21st Dec and so far not received acknowledgement.

Thanks
Mallik
Hi

As of today, nope. I spoke to CGI yesterday (after around 100 times redial!!)

CGI says for postal applications it takes around 10 weeks to acknowledge and you should enquiry only after 12 weeks, if online status is not changed.

One thing I learnt, for CGI best to go personally and apply for either SC or OCI.

As of today, they are doing GBRBI182xxxxx series.

So, I am going to wait .....

Thanks
Mallik

Hi Mallik. I am also having the same problems as you, i sent the paparework by post to cgu Birmingham, it has been 5 weeks and my number hasn't yet been acknowledged, I am going to wait until the 12th week and see what happens. As soon as your number has been acknowledged could you please let me know and also tell me how long it took you until your number was finally acknowledged. Many Thanks.
Zi1bbs

indianadr

Re: OCI Birmingham

Post by indianadr » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:07 pm

zi1bbs wrote:
indianadr wrote:
planet_master wrote:HI Mallick Please let me know if you get the acknowlegdement from CGI.. I applied in Nov 09 but stil havent received.. checked online many times.. very disappointed by cgi service.. no one replies neither they answer the phone call... dunno how im gonna find out my oci status and i need to go india in march
indianadr wrote:Hi All,

I would like to know if anyone received recently acknowledgement from CGI Birmingham for OCI.

I applied by post on 21st Dec and so far not received acknowledgement.

Thanks
Mallik
Hi

As of today, nope. I spoke to CGI yesterday (after around 100 times redial!!)

CGI says for postal applications it takes around 10 weeks to acknowledge and you should enquiry only after 12 weeks, if online status is not changed.

One thing I learnt, for CGI best to go personally and apply for either SC or OCI.

As of today, they are doing GBRBI182xxxxx series.

So, I am going to wait .....

Thanks
Mallik

Hi Mallik. I am also having the same problems as you, i sent the paparework by post to cgu Birmingham, it has been 5 weeks and my number hasn't yet been acknowledged, I am going to wait until the 12th week and see what happens. As soon as your number has been acknowledged could you please let me know and also tell me how long it took you until your number was finally acknowledged. Many Thanks.
Zi1bbs
Hi Zi1bbs,
Will do as requested.
I am suspecting CGI BIR are doing now GBRBI1844xxxx series
Thanks
Mallik

benz52

no ack, recvd by HCI 13th Jan

Post by benz52 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:35 am

I'm into my 7th week now and no acknowledgement has been received. I'm on the phone to HCI for over 10 minutes without any response. I had also emailed them over 10 days back and no response to that as well... will keep my progress posted.....

sachin_4646

Post by sachin_4646 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:56 pm

Can someone please tell me where can I get photos of 51mm X 51mm size? Thanks in advance.

indianadr

Post by indianadr » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:44 am

sachin_4646 wrote:Can someone please tell me where can I get photos of 51mm X 51mm size? Thanks in advance.
Hi,
No idea. But they accept PhotoMe passport photos.
Thanks
Mallik

sachin_4646

Post by sachin_4646 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:29 pm

I had taken photographs from Jessop (Standard UK passport photos). But HCI london refused to accept my application 2 weeks ago when I went in person.

indianadr

Post by indianadr » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:17 pm

sachin_4646 wrote:I had taken photographs from Jessop (Standard UK passport photos). But HCI london refused to accept my application 2 weeks ago when I went in person.
Hi

Last week, when my wife went to submit her OCI at CGI BIR, they rejected her photos (taken at a Fuji Studio for UK passport). They asked her to submit photos taken from PhotoMe which is located in their floor. So, she did the same resumitted OCI application.

Try with PhotoMe photos. May be it helps.

But you never know.

Hope this helps

Thanks
Mallik

SidB

Post by SidB » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:59 pm

All - Im going to the embassy tomorrow. Can anyone help me on this please?

Many thanks

asterix09
Newly Registered

Post by asterix09 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:26 pm

All - quick question. Amongst the documents required for the OCI application, is it necessary to provide copies of the birth certificate and/or school leaving certificate ?

Thank you

llNicell

Post by llNicell » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:39 am

asterix09 wrote:All - quick question. Amongst the documents required for the OCI application, is it necessary to provide copies of the birth certificate and/or school leaving certificate ?

Thank you
If you are submitting copy of your Indian passport then birth & school certificates are not required.

benz52

OCI: 9 WEEKS AND NO ACKNOWLEDGEMENT

Post by benz52 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:11 pm

I've got serious doubts about HCI London now. My OCI app was received by HCI on 13th January 2010 and I have not yet received my acknowledgement. Can anyone please let me know if you are in a similar situation or have similar dates with different situations?