ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, Administrator

gg234

Re: application

Post by gg234 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:50 am

You have to prepare two sets of OCI forms and you need to paste one photo on each so 2 is enough
yatri09 wrote:Hello, I am applying OCI for my son. I wonder anyone has latest info on how many photos are required pasted in the application form at HCI London. Is it 4 or 2 photos?
thanks

modasu wrote:
kumi wrote:It is time for me to apply for OCI., and spent quite a lot of time on the internet understanding how to apply for it. I have the following doubts, may be very trivial, but, they are bugging me.

1. I am going to apply for me and my 2 year old daughter., can I get one postal order for 330 quid or two separate ones for 165 each ?

2. When they say two sets of application, do they mean for each applicant or each family ? ie, do I need 4 sets or just 2.

I am planning to take the postal route.
1. If your applying in person at the Consulate, then you can pay by cash. If your doing it by post, I don't see why you can't have one Postal Order for £330, as long as you have both applications sent in one SDE.

2. For each applicant, since one is kept in the Consulate and one sent to Delhi.

gorajim

OCI Timelines

Post by gorajim » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:29 pm

My two pennies:

Ever grateful for the wonderful knowledge, resources and suggestions I received from these forums. I believe there is more talent in these forums than 80% of the immigration agencies put together (another form of Pareto's 80-20!!).

The following are my OCI timelines:

Date of Acknowledgement: 10 Mar 2010 (submitted in person).
Photo/Signature scanned: 11 Mar 2010
Registration Status: Granted: 11 Mar 2010
Documents Printing Status: Not Printed
Documents Dispatched: Not Dispatched
Docs Received at London: Not Yet

I'll update again when I receive the card.

Thanks all.

Jim.

raman999

OCI for Adult with Infant

Post by raman999 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:15 pm

Dear all,

I have applied for myself and my son (one year old). OCI status as below.

Application Sent by Post SDE: 07-MAR-2011
Date Of Acknowledgment 09-MAR-2011
Photo/Signature Scanned On 09-MAR-2011
Registration Status Granted On 10-MAR-2011
Documnets Printing Status: Printed
Documents Printed On 11-MAR-2011
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on 17-Mar-2011
Documents Received at LONDON On NOT YET

I will keep post the updates. Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Raman
Last edited by raman999 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

kumi

OCI

Post by kumi » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:50 pm

Same here, but applied on 22nd Feb 2011, still havent received an acknowledgement from HCI london. It does say on the website that it can take upto 20-30 days for postal applications.

kumi

Post by kumi » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:22 pm

Right, it so happens, I have been holding onto the wrong reference number and searching for it everyday. I used https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIenquiryFileNo.jsp
to get the correct one.. and I have been granted OCI , and it has reached London on 7th march !!!! off I go to london !

modasu
Newly Registered

Re: Collection of OCI by Post

Post by modasu » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:00 am

My OCI application situation is:

Date Of Acknowledgment 07-FEB-2011
Application Status
Photo/Signature Scanned On 17-FEB-2011
Registration Status Granted On 16-MAR-2011
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 18-MAR-2011
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at BIRMINGHAM NOT YET

I am planning on just posting an SDE to the consulate in Birmingham with the following:

Print-out of the OCI enquiry form (when it has arrived in Birmingham) and my British passport, and another SDE for them to send it back. I don't see why it should be a problem. Maybe include a cover letter just to explain.

gorajim

My OCI final timelines.

Post by gorajim » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:53 pm

My final timelines:

Date of Acknowledgement: 10 Mar 2011 (in person).
Photo/Signature scanned: 11 Mar 2011
Registration Status: Granted: 11 Mar 2011
Documents Printing Status: 15 Mar 2011
Documents Dispatched: 23 Mar 2011
Docs Received at London: 24 Mar 2011
OCI Received: 25 Mar 2011 (in person)

A couple of observations:

1. The Indian High Commission has cleaned up the act with OCIs, these being handed out within weeks, if not days. So that is a positive sign.

2. Unless absolutely impossible, collect the OCI in person - one only has to queue up at the counter in the morning to submit the docs (no need to go into the embassy for this - you submit the passport(s) and OCI status printout(s) at the window itself) and ofcourse collect these at the OCI counter inside at the designated time in the evening (HCI London). The collection is a mess with numbers being called at random - luckily for me, I had to wait just about 10 mins.

Thanks again for all the valuable inputs at every stage. Any queries, don't hesitate to ask me through this forum or a private message. I'll be most happy to reply as best as I can.

All the best to future applicants. Cheers.

Jim.

modasu
Newly Registered

Re: My OCI final timelines.

Post by modasu » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:15 pm

gorajim wrote: 1. The Indian High Commission has cleaned up the act with OCIs, these being handed out within weeks, if not days. So that is a positive sign.
With London maybe, but with Birmingham it takes ages (in my experience, as well as looking at others in this forum.

My dad has just got back from India, he had to get a six-month visa because his OCI hadn't been done. It's a shame, I think if we applied in London he could've travelled on his OCI.

Is it possible to apply in London even if you are not from around there? Or do you have to stick to your respective embassies according to where you live?

modasu
Newly Registered

Post by modasu » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:32 pm

Finally, my OCI timeline is as follows: (longer than most others!)

Applied in Person on 25-JAN-2011
Date Of Acknowledgment 07-FEB-2011
Application Status
Photo/Signature Scanned On 17-FEB-2011
Registration Status Granted On 16-MAR-2011
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 18-MAR-2011
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on 25-MAR-2011
Documents Received at BIRMINGHAM On 30-MAR-2011

I sent my passports today to Birmingham by Special Delivery. Lets hope they don't take their time in sending the documents back!

santunup
Newly Registered

OCI not yet printed

Post by santunup » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:07 pm

Hi Guys,

Is anyone experiencing delay in OCI printing recently? My application was scanned and acknowledged on 21st March 2011 and Granted on 22nd March. But there has been NO status update since then. It is still showing as NOT PRINTED.
My photo was as per the spec (51 * 51) and I have used the same for Indian VISA last month.

Can anyone share any similar experience recently.

Thanks,
Shan

smiles345
Member of Standing

Post by smiles345 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:31 pm

Hi shan

I'm in the same boat. aknowledged on 21/03/2011 and registration granted on 22nd and still no update. pls let me know when you get an update

Regards

shajacksha

Post by shajacksha » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:54 pm

Hi, I have jumped from surrender certificate to the OCI thread now. Just got my surrender certificate. Is it advisable to apply OCI by post? Just been looking at the hci website. There is some new information. A new surcharge for OCI application. And have to send originals if applying by post. But it says it will take 4 weeks to get OCI. That is quick.

modasu
Newly Registered

Post by modasu » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:26 pm

shajacksha wrote:Hi, I have jumped from surrender certificate to the OCI thread now. Just got my surrender certificate. Is it advisable to apply OCI by post? Just been looking at the hci website. There is some new information. A new surcharge for OCI application. And have to send originals if applying by post. But it says it will take 4 weeks to get OCI. That is quick.
Are you applying in London?

I am also thinking of applying for my mother, in London this time. My father and I applied in Birmingham and it took more than 2 months. What's this surcharge you talk about?

shajacksha

Post by shajacksha » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:57 am

A 2 pound consular surcharge for each application. Yes, I am applying in London. But people from Birmingham cannot apply in London. The website make it very clear.

modasu
Newly Registered

Post by modasu » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:39 am

shajacksha wrote:A 2 pound consular surcharge for each application. Yes, I am applying in London. But people from Birmingham cannot apply in London. The website make it very clear.
It doesn't actually say that. It says "GBRB (Birmingham) application/s will not be accepted in HCI, London". Does that not mean application forms which were made as though they will apply in Birmingham (hence will bear the reference no. "GBRBI...." as opposed to "GBRLI....") then the applicant decides he/she will apply in London. But if the applicant filled out the registration form stating he/she will apply in London (Hence will have ref. no GBRLI...) then it should be ok, shouldn't it?

A man from our community had his OCI made in London, although this was about 2 years ago I think.

I might be wrong, I don't know. It's just the way I read it...
(I'm not actually from Bham, but from one of the county which is 'covered' by the Bham consulate)
Last edited by modasu on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

modasu
Newly Registered

Post by modasu » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:43 am

I've just sent the application for my mother yesterday, I received the birth certificate from India. I was lucky because I thought I would have to go through the trouble of getting it translated it from Gujarati to English but my cousin there already had that done. I've applied in London - hope it won't get rejected!

shajacksha

Post by shajacksha » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:50 am

[quote="modasu"][quote="shajacksha"]A 2 pound consular surcharge for each application. Yes, I am applying in London. But people from Birmingham cannot apply in London. The website make it very clear.[/quote]It doesn't actually say that. It says "GBRB (Birmingham) application/s will not be accepted in HCI, London". Does that not mean application forms which were made as though they will apply in Birmingham (hence will bear the reference no. "GBRBI...." as opposed to "GBRLI....") then the applicant decides he/she will apply in London. But if the applicant filled out the registration form stating he/she will apply in London (Hence will have ref. no GBRLI...) then it should be ok, shouldn't it?

A man from our community had his OCI made in London, although this was about 2 years ago I think.

I might be wrong, I don't know. It's just the way I read it...
(I'm not actually from Bham, but from one of the county which is 'covered' by the Bham consulate)[/quote]

Yeah, I agree. You might be right. But one can never be sure as to how the official who process the application interprets it. Good luck anyway.

cool_guy2011
Newly Registered

Applying for OCI from Edinburgh - My time line.

Post by cool_guy2011 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:52 pm

Has there been anyone who has previously applied for OCI from CGI, Edinburgh recently ? How is the service like from them ? What is the appx. timeline regarding receipt of OCI from the date of application by post / in-person ? Multiple phone calls are practically useless as there is no answer.

Any experience / info shall be very much appreciated.
Last edited by cool_guy2011 on Wed May 25, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

krish.venugopal

Post by krish.venugopal » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:00 pm

Hi,

Apologies if this question has been asked before, can someone confirm if PART B is common to all applicants if applying as a family and only PART A needs to be separate for each applicant?

Will just the first page of the British passport where the photo is present should do?

Do we need to take a copy of our cancelled Indian passport?

And all documents including the supporting documents are to be two copies?

Cheers

wp112010
Newly Registered

Post by wp112010 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:31 pm

Hello all,
Just got uk passport & I am about to apply for OCI ..but totally confused by these 3 steps
I visited the hci , London website …it says , I need to first register here
1) https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIRegistrationG.jsp

ok I can do that …
2) some people say I need to go to VFS too to get surrender certificate(SC)
3) I have to apply for OCI card

It is 3 different process ? do I have to apply 3 times …I am planning to apply by post …which address I need to send… so complicated …
Or is it one process that I need to send VFS and then will process other 2 after SC..
please someone clear my confusion
Doc …I am sending the following docs for me & 4 yr old son
1)Copy of expired Indian Passport & Indian Passport - expired (original)
2). Copy of current Indian passport with used visa pages & Indian Passport - Current (original)
3). Copy of British passport
4. Copy of naturalization certificate
5. £167 Crossed Postal order.

Thank you
Jen