ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renouncing Pakistani citizenship with an expired NIC

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

lifegoals2021
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Renouncing Pakistani citizenship with an expired NIC

Post by lifegoals2021 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:32 am

Hi everyone,
I recently became a British citizen and now would like to renounce my Pakistani citizenship. I have a valid Pakistani passport, but my Pakistani national identity card - first and only NIC - expired in 2014.

Do I need a valid NIC/NICOP in order to renounce my citizenship?

Has anyone here renounced their Pakistani citizenship?

Thanks.

talreh20
Member of Standing
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: Renouncing Pakistani citizenship with an expired NIC

Post by talreh20 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:24 pm

Hi,

Why would you need to renounce?

Only asking as some people think that once they hold any other nationality, they are required to renounce.

If this is your reason for renouncing, then I can tell you that Pakistani nationals can hold up to two nationalities and do not need to renounce after getting British nationality.

But if you just want to get rid of Pakistani nationality, you can ring the Pakistani high commission and they will let you know the procedure.

Thanks

wk21
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by wk21 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:50 pm

talreh20 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:24 pm

If this is your reason for renouncing, then I can tell you that Pakistani nationals can hold up to two nationalities and do not need to renounce after getting British nationality.
Technically more than two can be held. I know of people who have PAK/UK/CAN, PAK/CAN/US, PAK/UK/US, etc. As long as all of the said citizenships are countries with which Pakistan has agreements, it is acceptable.

wk21
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by wk21 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:53 pm

lifegoals2021 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:32 am
Hi everyone,
I recently became a British citizen and now would like to renounce my Pakistani citizenship. I have a valid Pakistani passport, but my Pakistani national identity card - first and only NIC - expired in 2014.

Do I need a valid NIC/NICOP in order to renounce my citizenship?

Has anyone here renounced their Pakistani citizenship?

Thanks.
An expired CNIC/NICOP can be used. Technically, one can renounce even with a handwritten/manual NIC as the renunciation instructions do not mention if the card needs to be old or new, manual or computerized, etc.

So, can you use an expired CNIC? Yes
Your consulate or embassy may, however, try to tell you it is not possible as the rules are not consistent. The valid Pakistani passport is more important than valid CNIC

lifegoals2021
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by lifegoals2021 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:29 am

talreh20 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:24 pm
Hi,

Why would you need to renounce?

Only asking as some people think that once they hold any other nationality, they are required to renounce.

But if you just want to get rid of Pakistani nationality, you can ring the Pakistani high commission and they will let you know the procedure.

Thanks

As a matter of principle, I find the idea of dual citizenship absurd. Besides, I have spent my entire adult life in the UK and therefore can only consider myself British. Personally I'm of the view that the government should make it mandatory for naturalised citizens to renounce their old citizenship.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will contact the Pakistani High Commission this week.

lifegoals2021
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by lifegoals2021 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:36 am

wk21 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:53 pm
An expired CNIC/NICOP can be used. Technically, one can renounce even with a handwritten/manual NIC as the renunciation instructions do not mention if the card needs to be old or new, manual or computerized, etc.

So, can you use an expired CNIC? Yes
Your consulate or embassy may, however, try to tell you it is not possible as the rules are not consistent. The valid Pakistani passport is more important than valid CNIC
Thanks for your reply.

I will visit the Pakistani High Commission this week to apply for renunciation.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:26 pm

lifegoals2021 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:29 am
As a matter of principle, I find the idea of dual citizenship absurd.
A sentiment that my brother agrees with. According to him, it is rare and difficult to have loyalty to two nations, unless one is born to parents of two nationalities.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

lifegoals2021
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by lifegoals2021 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:39 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:26 pm
lifegoals2021 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:29 am
As a matter of principle, I find the idea of dual citizenship absurd.
A sentiment that my brother agrees with. According to him, it is rare and difficult to have loyalty to two nations, unless one is born to parents of two nationalities.
One can always apply for a Pakistan Origin Card after citizenship renunciation, which accords more or less similar rights to those enjoyed by a Pakistani citizen. At the end of the day, renunciation of old citizenship is a personal choice. Dual citizenship is not favourably looked upon here in the UK. The status gives the impression that you're just an opportunistic, economic migrant with no real connection or commitment to your new country. For me, that clearly is not the case, even though I am incredibly proud of my Pakistani roots, religion and upbringing. Being a British citizen should mean just that; hyphenated nationality descriptors make absolutely no sense.Even if I had immigrated to the UK from the US, I would still have renounced the old citizenship, as a matter of principle.