ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

School Leaving Certificate for OCI

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.
Neelam66
Newly Registered

School Leaving Certificate for OCI

Post by Neelam66 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:10 pm

My mother is intending to apply for OCI. She does not have a copy of her old Indian passport or Birth Certificate. She does have a school leaving certificate though, in her maiden name. Will that be sufficient to prove Indian origin? Also she does not have a marriage certificate. Will HCI accept an affidavit of marriage as proof of her name change?

If anyone has had similar issues, please advise. Thanks

BroMo
Newly Registered

Post by BroMo » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:42 pm

Neelam,

Her High School Leaving Certificate will help. You will need them to be in English and the Original Language it was in (Hindi, Gujerati etc) And they will both need to be Stamped by a first class Indian Magistrate,

In respect to proving her Maiden Name. From my own experience you will need to get her Marriage Certificate. If she married in the UK then you can obtain a copy from the Registrars in the town she got married. If it was in India, then approach the relevant authorities there to obtain a certificate again if this is the case then same applies i.e. in English and Original Language and stamped by First Class Magistrate.

If you cannot obtain these documents and possibly alongside these documents you may need to obtain a Nativity Certificate (See HCI Website) This is basically a document which details your mother details and confirms she is of Indian Origin. This again needs to be signed and stamped by a Indian Magistrate.

Neelam66
Newly Registered

Post by Neelam66 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:41 pm

Thanks BroMo

Her school leaving certificate is the original one and not a post dated one. Does it still need to be stampled by an Indian Magistrate? HCI's website says translations need to be by a 'reputed and registered translation authority'. Where does one find one of these?

Any ideas?

BroMo
Newly Registered

Post by BroMo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:45 am

If it is Original, the no need for 1st Class Magistrate Stamp. If however it is not in English then yes you will need to get it translated.

I would approach your local Police Station/County Court and ask them for a list of relevant translators that they use. Any one of them should be fine.