ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Should one change OCI after getting UK passport, original passport still valid.

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

donblount

Should one change OCI after getting UK passport, original passport still valid.

Post by donblount » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:39 am

OCI was issued originally with a passport of country other than UK. This passport number is in the OCI document.

Since then the individual has acquired UK citizenship. Both countries support dual citizenship, so both passports are still valid. Both passports have not expired.Do we need to apply / update the OCI with the UK passport or can we continue to use the original OCI for travel?

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Re: Should one change OCI after getting UK passport, original passport still valid.

Post by dontringthebell » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:29 am

donblount wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:39 am
OCI was issued originally with a passport of country other than UK. This passport number is in the OCI document.

Since then the individual has acquired UK citizenship. Both countries support dual citizenship, so both passports are still valid. Both passports have not expired.Do we need to apply / update the OCI with the UK passport or can we continue to use the original OCI for travel? You can definitely travel, since the premise on which you were given OCI hasn't change, i.e. you still hold the nationality of the country that you held while applying for the OCI.

Whether you should apply under Miscellaneous Services to obtain a new booklet with relevant information updated or simply update details, i guess the former, since you have acquired new nationality. Following is what Miscellaneous Service is used for …

"These Misc services can be availed for re-issuance of OCI Card as well as updating the information time to time as mentioned in the MHA notification dated 16th April, 2021. The re-issuance of new OCI card will be applicable for following categories:
1. In case of issuance of new passport (once a new passport is issued after completing 20 years of age.)
2. In case of change of personal particulars viz. name, father's name, nationality etc.
3. In case of loss/damage of OCI registration certificate."

If still in doubt, you may very well check with inf.london@mea.gov.in/ info.london@hcilondon.in

Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

WP-> HSMP-> Tier 2G D-> ILR-> BC-> OCI

donblount

Re: Should one change OCI after getting UK passport, original passport still valid.

Post by donblount » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:43 am

What does miscellaneous service process involve? Is it just filling an online form? Or does one have to get appointment to VFS, provide documents, get new OCI booklet etc?

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:31 pm

donblount wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:43 am
What does miscellaneous service process involve? mentioned above Is it just filling an online form? depends whether you want to update or need new booklet. Again when you need new booklet depends on change in printed particulars
Or does one have to get appointment to VFS, provide documents, get new OCI booklet etc? If you want a new booklet yes, if you update details then online only.

https://ociservices.gov.in/capchaActionMisc
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:47 pm