ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

South African Passport Application in London

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Locky
Newly Registered

South African Passport Application in London

Post by Locky » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:13 pm

Good day

I thought I would post about my experience applying for a new SA passport at the department of home affairs in London. I struggled to find consistent information online as the consulate website wasn't 100% useful and they never reply to emails or answer the phone.

I had 2 major concerns, the exact documents required and do they take your current passport or 'clip' it making it unusable.

Documents:
DHA-73
DHA-529
DHA-9
All these forms are obtained from the receptionist and easy to complete. When you see someone at the counter they also check these for missing information.

4x Passport Photographs
2x Copies of Photo Page of ID Book
2x Copies of Photo Page of Current Passport
2x Copies of Marriage Certificate
2x Copies of Birth Certificate (the requirements do say either ID book or birth certificate but I just gave both)
These copies don't need to be notarised/certified. The person handling your application will certify for you.

Form NQ from UK Home Office (form to state you do not have British citizenship) - I was most worried about this one as it costs £250. Some information I read said this is required but it is not required anymore. There is probably a different requirement if you are already a British citizen.

I am travelling to Europe soon and was concerned they would take my passport which I needed for travel. They do not take your soon to expire passport.

The turnaround time stated on the application receipt is now 6-9 months :(

I arrived at 7:50am on a Wednesday morning and was 4th in the queue. At about 8:30am there was another 15 people behind me. once in at 8:45, I was out by 9:45.

I hope this information helps somebody as I was unsure if I would be successful with the inconsistent information online. I also read very negative reviews of this office but as long as you have what you need and are friendly with them you will get good service. Some of the staff were abrupt but I guess this is the norm anywhere these days.

Cheers

dreid82
Newly Registered
Mood:

Re: South African Passport Application in London

Post by dreid82 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:12 am

Thanks for sharing.