ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com


Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surrendring Indian passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Post Reply
RAJ2007
Member of Standing
Posts: 406
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:02 pm

Surrendring Indian passport

Post by RAJ2007 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:12 pm

I came to know from www.hcilondon.net website that from last week in order to apply for PIO or OCI one needs to surrender his/her valid Indian passport and then the Indian High Commission will issue a surrender certificate within a week. Until you get the surrender certificate one can’t apply for OCI or PIO.

However nothing mentioned about the procedure, like any form or fees involved in it. I tried to contact them but unfortunately no one is available on the phone.


Has anyone surrender their passport (in the last week)? If so, could you please explain the process?

lullaby
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:50 am

Surrendring Indian passport

Post by lullaby » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:31 pm

Hi I went yesterday to indian embassay for OCI with all possible documents they will ever ask for, but that told me that they have just changed to rules this week. Apparently my friend went last week and he was able to surrender the passport and apply for OCI straight away. I went with same documents and they told me to surrender indian passport on a different window and GUESS WHAT

The lady there charged me £90 to surrender the passport back to them and said come and check after a week between 3:30 and 4:00, no specific date. It's a pity, but i think this must be the only embassy in the world who charges people money to surrender passport back without giving anything in return.

Also as the collection date is unknown plus the time is 3:30 to 4:30 in the afternoon, one has to go in all 4 times
1 to surrender
2 to collect the surrender certificate
3 to apply for OCI as this can be done in morning only
4 to finally gone last time for OCI stamp i guess

This is bloody rediculous.

God help us !!!

Anyone any other ideas.

pahini
Newbie
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:42 pm

Post by pahini » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:47 pm

You are lucky ,

at least they told u when to come.

My uncle went there to surrender four passports, his wife and two daughter aged 9 months and 2.5 years and guess what....!!

The lady did't accepted the passport initially.. saying he is not the husband but he is a travel agent .... he he... he.... then after 45 mins waiting for him eventually she told my uncle to bring his wife and two daughters to check their identity and existence !!! shocking... and the two security guards then draw my uncle out of the room.... resulted in he lost his purse, mobile and a luggage in the embassy room....

he wrote a letter to high commission and guess what the outcome....

no replies to him at all....

the end result.... he decided to go there with all family members... and surrenders passport.... however., its almost a month now... but they have not issued the certificate, he went there four times during afternoon time... and the lady on the reception told my uncle that the passports were misplaced and they will contact him when they recovers it and will do the needful....

Battle still continue.....!!!!!!

wphsmpteir1
Junior Member
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:00 pm

Post by wphsmpteir1 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:17 pm

Is it really necessary to surrender your passport to HCI, London

RAJ2007
Member of Standing
Posts: 406
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:02 pm

Post by RAJ2007 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:50 am

lullaby,

I came to know that there is a form to complete (which could be obtained at the outside counter) for surrendering passport. The form is not available on the website. is that right? if you know any link for the form plese let me know.

Also, if we provide them a self-addressed envelope do they send the surrender certificate by post? or do you have to collect in person?

lullaby
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:50 am

Post by lullaby » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:52 am

wphsmpteir1 wrote:Is it really necessary to surrender your passport to HCI, London
Yes from my visit last week it looks like it is necessary from 21/sept/2009 plus pay 90 pounds for the same

wphsmpteir1
Junior Member
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:00 pm

Post by wphsmpteir1 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:03 pm

To be honest it is rediculous, to spend £90 plus four days to submit, chase up and get the PIO status...

rakh
Newbie
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:20 am

Post by rakh » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:57 pm

wphsmpteir1 wrote:To be honest it is rediculous, to spend £90 plus four days to submit, chase up and get the PIO status...
fully agree with you, is this same if we apply by post as well. the reason i am asking is , couple of months back my friend sent his Indian passport with OCI application by post and HCI simply cancelled and returned his indian passport and couple of days later recieved OCI. all he paied was 165 pounds postal orders. the application was sent by post

rajchahal
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:33 am

Re: Surrendring Indian passport

Post by rajchahal » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:51 pm

hey , did u get ur surrender certificate yet or not
lullaby wrote:Hi I went yesterday to indian embassay for OCI with all possible documents they will ever ask for, but that told me that they have just changed to rules this week. Apparently my friend went last week and he was able to surrender the passport and apply for OCI straight away. I went with same documents and they told me to surrender indian passport on a different window and GUESS WHAT

The lady there charged me £90 to surrender the passport back to them and said come and check after a week between 3:30 and 4:00, no specific date. It's a pity, but i think this must be the only embassy in the world who charges people money to surrender passport back without giving anything in return.

Also as the collection date is unknown plus the time is 3:30 to 4:30 in the afternoon, one has to go in all 4 times
1 to surrender
2 to collect the surrender certificate
3 to apply for OCI as this can be done in morning only
4 to finally gone last time for OCI stamp i guess

This is bloody rediculous.

God help us !!!

Anyone any other ideas.

rakh
Newbie
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Surrendring Indian passport

Post by rakh » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:08 pm

rajchahal wrote:hey , did u get ur surrender certificate yet or not
lullaby wrote:Hi I went yesterday to indian embassay for OCI with all possible documents they will ever ask for, but that told me that they have just changed to rules this week. Apparently my friend went last week and he was able to surrender the passport and apply for OCI straight away. I went with same documents and they told me to surrender indian passport on a different window and GUESS WHAT

The lady there charged me £90 to surrender the passport back to them and said come and check after a week between 3:30 and 4:00, no specific date. It's a pity, but i think this must be the only embassy in the world who charges people money to surrender passport back without giving anything in return.

Also as the collection date is unknown plus the time is 3:30 to 4:30 in the afternoon, one has to go in all 4 times
1 to surrender
2 to collect the surrender certificate
3 to apply for OCI as this can be done in morning only
4 to finally gone last time for OCI stamp i guess

This is bloody rediculous.

God help us !!!

Anyone any other ideas.
nothing like that, they simply cancelled the Indian passport and sent the OCI booklet

rajchahal
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:33 am

Re: Surrendring Indian passport

Post by rajchahal » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:16 am

hey has anybody got ther surrender certificate yet and how long it took to get it
rakh wrote:
rajchahal wrote:hey , did u get ur surrender certificate yet or not
lullaby wrote:Hi I went yesterday to indian embassay for OCI with all possible documents they will ever ask for, but that told me that they have just changed to rules this week. Apparently my friend went last week and he was able to surrender the passport and apply for OCI straight away. I went with same documents and they told me to surrender indian passport on a different window and GUESS WHAT

The lady there charged me £90 to surrender the passport back to them and said come and check after a week between 3:30 and 4:00, no specific date. It's a pity, but i think this must be the only embassy in the world who charges people money to surrender passport back without giving anything in return.

Also as the collection date is unknown plus the time is 3:30 to 4:30 in the afternoon, one has to go in all 4 times
1 to surrender
2 to collect the surrender certificate
3 to apply for OCI as this can be done in morning only
4 to finally gone last time for OCI stamp i guess

This is bloody rediculous.

God help us !!!

Anyone any other ideas.
nothing like that, they simply cancelled the Indian passport and sent the OCI booklet

rajchahal
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:33 am

Re: Surrendring Indian passport

Post by rajchahal » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:58 am

and after how many days did u get ur cancelled passport back
rakh wrote:
rajchahal wrote:hey , did u get ur surrender certificate yet or not
lullaby wrote:Hi I went yesterday to indian embassay for OCI with all possible documents they will ever ask for, but that told me that they have just changed to rules this week. Apparently my friend went last week and he was able to surrender the passport and apply for OCI straight away. I went with same documents and they told me to surrender indian passport on a different window and GUESS WHAT

The lady there charged me £90 to surrender the passport back to them and said come and check after a week between 3:30 and 4:00, no specific date. It's a pity, but i think this must be the only embassy in the world who charges people money to surrender passport back without giving anything in return.

Also as the collection date is unknown plus the time is 3:30 to 4:30 in the afternoon, one has to go in all 4 times
1 to surrender
2 to collect the surrender certificate
3 to apply for OCI as this can be done in morning only
4 to finally gone last time for OCI stamp i guess

This is bloody rediculous.

God help us !!!

Anyone any other ideas.
nothing like that, they simply cancelled the Indian passport and sent the OCI booklet

msbabu
Newly Registered
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:42 am

Re: Surrendring Indian passport

Post by msbabu » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:24 pm

Has anyone applied for a surrender certificate and got it, also would like to know if someone has applied by post. I have sent my application and its 5 weeks nothing has happened, how would be know if our application is in process, so far nothing on the online enquiry status, not even application acknowledged.

syamraj
Newly Registered
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Surrendring Indian passport

Post by syamraj » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:54 pm

I've applied for OCI in the middle of Auguest and it was acknowledged in a week time. It moved to 'photos scanned' status after a month.
msbabu wrote:Has anyone applied for a surrender certificate and got it, also would like to know if someone has applied by post. I have sent my application and its 5 weeks nothing has happened, how would be know if our application is in process, so far nothing on the online enquiry status, not even application acknowledged.

GoodFun
Junior Member
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:29 pm

Post by GoodFun » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:54 pm

See this notice regarding surrendering Indian passports
http://hcilondon.in/notice.php

lullaby
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:50 am

Re: Surrendring Indian passport

Post by lullaby » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:26 am

I got it back after about 14 days in total. They told me to come back after 10 days. when i went after 10 days and waited for good 2 hours from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm. They told me to come again the next day as the lady on the order side of window told me there is some sort of panetly.
She was unable to tell me what the panelty is or what it means. so tired i returned back home. Went after 2 days booked a day off. This time in morning the gentlemen looked at my file and said there is no panelty. Not sure what they are on with, but finally i go my surrender certificate that day.
HTH
rajchahal wrote:and after how many days did u get ur cancelled passport back
rakh wrote:
rajchahal wrote:hey , did u get ur surrender certificate yet or not
lullaby wrote:Hi I went yesterday to indian embassay for OCI with all possible documents they will ever ask for, but that told me that they have just changed to rules this week. Apparently my friend went last week and he was able to surrender the passport and apply for OCI straight away. I went with same documents and they told me to surrender indian passport on a different window and GUESS WHAT

The lady there charged me £90 to surrender the passport back to them and said come and check after a week between 3:30 and 4:00, no specific date. It's a pity, but i think this must be the only embassy in the world who charges people money to surrender passport back without giving anything in return.

Also as the collection date is unknown plus the time is 3:30 to 4:30 in the afternoon, one has to go in all 4 times
1 to surrender
2 to collect the surrender certificate
3 to apply for OCI as this can be done in morning only
4 to finally gone last time for OCI stamp i guess

This is bloody rediculous.

God help us !!!

Anyone any other ideas.
nothing like that, they simply cancelled the Indian passport and sent the OCI booklet

syamraj
Newly Registered
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Surrendring Indian passport

Post by syamraj » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:24 am

OK guys, I had spent my whole day yesterday at HCI London. I got it yesterday (13/09/2009). Now a days they are asking to come back after 2 to 3 days. When this rule was introduced, it took some time for them to get themselves organized. It's still little bit chaotic as they made so many mistakes in the certificate I had to wait for 1 hr and they've done the corrections 7 times. So, please check your details in your certificate there itself before taking it home.

Now they have uploaded the form (http://hcilondon.in/notice.php) in the web page. They are still not entertaining any postal application for this service.

Another important information that I've realized is about the OCI and PIO processing times. They are much less (6 weeks for OCI) if you apply in person. Postal applications are taking minimum 3 months. They have a big backlog due to this new surrender certificate rule.

They can give the surrender certificate on the same day, if it's an emergency. I've submitted my Indian passport for the cancellation on 25th of August and got no response from them. So, I went to the consulate yeterday to get it back and get the surrender certificate. They realised that it's their mistake not processing my cancellation for so long, they aggreed to give me the surrender certificate on the same day.
lullaby wrote:I got it back after about 14 days in total. They told me to come back after 10 days. when i went after 10 days and waited for good 2 hours from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm. They told me to come again the next day as the lady on the order side of window told me there is some sort of panetly.
She was unable to tell me what the panelty is or what it means. so tired i returned back home. Went after 2 days booked a day off. This time in morning the gentlemen looked at my file and said there is no panelty. Not sure what they are on with, but finally i go my surrender certificate that day.
HTH
rajchahal wrote:and after how many days did u get ur cancelled passport back
rakh wrote:
rajchahal wrote:hey , did u get ur surrender certificate yet or not
nothing like that, they simply cancelled the Indian passport and sent the OCI booklet

syamraj
Newly Registered
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Surrendring Indian passport

Post by syamraj » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:26 am

They don't give back the cancelled Indian passport anymore. They keep it with them and all you get back is a piece of paper (surrender certificate).

sac
Junior Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:12 am
Location: London, UK

Post by sac » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:34 pm

oh? that's very odd! i thought it was standard practice to return cancelled passports..? what if someone needs the old passport to prove travel dates to a particular country, for eg, for legal reasons, etc?

peejay
Newbie
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:08 pm

Re: Surrendring Indian passport

Post by peejay » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:40 pm

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... &start=600
Syamraj, you sure that we cant apply by post? In above message Raj has mentioned that he has spoken to HCI and they are ok with posting for surrender certificate.
syamraj wrote:OK guys, I had spent my whole day yesterday at HCI London. I got it yesterday (13/09/2009). Now a days they are asking to come back after 2 to 3 days. When this rule was introduced, it took some time for them to get themselves organized. It's still little bit chaotic as they made so many mistakes in the certificate I had to wait for 1 hr and they've done the corrections 7 times. So, please check your details in your certificate there itself before taking it home.

Now they have uploaded the form (http://hcilondon.in/notice.php) in the web page. They are still not entertaining any postal application for this service.

Another important information that I've realized is about the OCI and PIO processing times. They are much less (6 weeks for OCI) if you apply in person. Postal applications are taking minimum 3 months. They have a big backlog due to this new surrender certificate rule.

They can give the surrender certificate on the same day, if it's an emergency. I've submitted my Indian passport for the cancellation on 25th of August and got no response from them. So, I went to the consulate yeterday to get it back and get the surrender certificate. They realised that it's their mistake not processing my cancellation for so long, they aggreed to give me the surrender certificate on the same day.
lullaby wrote:I got it back after about 14 days in total. They told me to come back after 10 days. when i went after 10 days and waited for good 2 hours from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm. They told me to come again the next day as the lady on the order side of window told me there is some sort of panetly.
She was unable to tell me what the panelty is or what it means. so tired i returned back home. Went after 2 days booked a day off. This time in morning the gentlemen looked at my file and said there is no panelty. Not sure what they are on with, but finally i go my surrender certificate that day.
HTH
rajchahal wrote:and after how many days did u get ur cancelled passport back
rakh wrote:
nothing like that, they simply cancelled the Indian passport and sent the OCI booklet

Post Reply
cron