ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling in Indian passport after UK Natuarlisation

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

prss_vel83
India

Travelling in Indian passport after UK Natuarlisation

Post by prss_vel83 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:56 pm

Dear All,

I have a below query regarding travelling to India using an Indian passport after receiving UK naturalisation certificate.

1. Is it allowed to travel using an Indian passport to India within 3 months after receiving UK naturalisation? If yes, will it be a problem while applying for OCI Card? Will be there any penalty?
2. Alternatively, Do I need to have a surrender certificate prior to applying for Indian visitors visa?

Thanks for your support

rainbowbutterfly
Mood:
India

Re: Travelling in Indian passport after UK Natuarlisation

Post by rainbowbutterfly » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:10 pm

prss_vel83 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:56 pm
Dear All,

I have a below query regarding travelling to India using an Indian passport after receiving UK naturalisation certificate.

1. Is it allowed to travel using an Indian passport to India within 3 months after receiving UK naturalisation? If yes, will it be a problem while applying for OCI Card? Will be there any penalty?
2. Alternatively, Do I need to have a surrender certificate prior to applying for Indian visitors visa?

Thanks for your support
1. You do have a grace period of 3 months from the date of naturalisation during which time you can use Indian passport provided you have not acquired British passport. If you have British passport you cannot and should not use Indian passport for any travel. Yes, there will be a problem even before you apply OCI. It would be during applying for surrender certificate.
As per the FAQ on HCI London website, they don't mention what is the penalty as the GoI has stopped levying monetary fine for misuse of Indian Passport.

2. You need to surrender your passport to apply for visa. However, India is not issuing visitor visa (suspended) currently. Your only option to travel to India is through OCI or Business/Medical etc. But not Tourist/Visitor visa.

prss_vel83
India

Post by prss_vel83 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:09 pm

Thanks for the response.

Regarding the first point, After naturalisation, we need to return the BRP card immediately. Hence if we travel outside the UK with an Indian passport we can't return back to the UK.

As per my analysis, either we need to get OCI or postpone the naturalisation ceremony. In the current covid scenario, you can attend the ceremony within 6 months.

rainbowbutterfly
Mood:
India

Post by rainbowbutterfly » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:26 am

prss_vel83 wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:09 pm
Thanks for the response.

Regarding the first point, After naturalisation, we need to return the BRP card immediately. Hence if we travel outside the UK with an Indian passport we can't return back to the UK.

As per my analysis, either we need to get OCI or postpone the naturalisation ceremony. In the current covid scenario, you can attend the ceremony within 6 months.
Yes, you have to return the BRP after naturalisation. At this point, you may enter India but exiting India will be problem. The immigration may impound your Indian passport and later on it becomes a big hassle with surrender certificate and getting your OCI approved. I would not suggest you to follow this route.
If you can spare couple of months, I would advice you to follow the correct process of applying for OCI for India travel unless Visitor visa opens up. Complete your naturalisation + British Passport, in the mean while start looking and if you get book an appointment for surrender of Indian Passport. The next appointment you get at VFS is usually 6 weeks ahead. You need to plan such that by the time you get your British Passport, you have an appointment for surrendering the Indian one.

prss_vel83
India

Post by prss_vel83 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:52 am

thanks rainbowbutterfly .