ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Update OCI on Aadhar Card

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Update OCI on Aadhar Card

Post by dontringthebell » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:36 pm

I wanted to check if anyone has updated their OCI status on previously held Aadhar Card, i.e. If they held an Aadhar Card as an Indian Citizen and updated British Citizenship & OCI details on Aadhar Card.

I'm aware an OCI card holder requires 182 days stay before applying for new Aadhar Card, though that is different.
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

WP-> HSMP-> Tier 2G D-> ILR-> BC-> OCI

xebec
Australia

Re: Update OCI on Aadhar Card

Post by xebec » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:13 pm

An Aadhaar card is not proof of citizenship. You don't have to be a citizen to get one, just a resident for 182+ days. Good question though, I'm not sure if UDAI have thought of such a scenario to change citizenship details.

rainbowbutterfly
Mood:
India

Post by rainbowbutterfly » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:03 pm

I don't think there is any provision to update or alter the information in Aadhar based on the renunciation of Indian Citizenship. As mentioned in response here, Aadhar is not a proof of citizenship but ID and can be applied by anybody who is resident in India.
What happens to the Voter ID that an Indian held before becoming British? How is that invalidated or the onus is on us to get it cancelled? Any thoughts, as Voter ID is definitely a proof of Indian Citizenship.

Thanks

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:44 pm

rainbowbutterfly wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:03 pm
I don't think there is any provision to update or alter the information in Aadhar based on the renunciation of Indian Citizenship. As mentioned in response here, Aadhar is not a proof of citizenship but ID and can be applied by anybody who is resident in India. No only indian citizens are allowed to register for aadhar, A resident is a person who has lived in India for more than 182 days in the financial year. Also, as an OCI one needs to be resident for min 182 days before applying for it first time. I do very well understand one does not get citezenship by acquiring aadhar card. My question was none of this, Can a person who has held Aadhar prior to becoming British update his OCI status on Aadhar card. Simply put aadhar card does help one quickly get essentials done eg sim card, paytm activation and lot more. Given the rule of 182 days for fresh application for OCI, i want to be certain whether furnishing a previously held card is illegal or not. I'm presently in India and have discussed this with Aadhar authorities. They would get back to me in 10 days time, hence thought would check if anyone has done this before.

What happens to the Voter ID that an Indian held before becoming British? How is that invalidated or the onus is on us to get it cancelled? Any thoughts, as Voter ID is definitely a proof of Indian Citizenship.
Primary utility of Voter Id card is for voting and until some time back it was required for passport applications. However, for an OCI its irrelevant since OCI does not have the right to vote. If some one does try using it to vote and is caught, {as i'm pretty sure once OCI is granted they must be updating the voter lists,} they are to be blamed themselves.

Thanks
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:46 pm

xebec wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:13 pm
An Aadhaar card is not proof of citizenship. You don't have to be a citizen to get one, just a resident for 182+ days. Good question though, I'm not sure if UDAI have thought of such a scenario to change citizenship details.
None the less its an useful document that does simplyfy lot of ekyc, sim card, bank card, online payment app registrations easier. Well we will know in 10 days time.

rainbowbutterfly
Mood:
India

Post by rainbowbutterfly » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:15 pm

dontringthebell wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:44 pm
rainbowbutterfly wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:03 pm
I don't think there is any provision to update or alter the information in Aadhar based on the renunciation of Indian Citizenship. As mentioned in response here, Aadhar is not a proof of citizenship but ID and can be applied by anybody who is resident in India. No only indian citizens are allowed to register for aadhar, A resident is a person who has lived in India for more than 182 days in the financial year. Also, as an OCI one needs to be resident for min 182 days before applying for it first time. I do very well understand one does not get citezenship by acquiring aadhar card. My question was none of this, Can a person who has held Aadhar prior to becoming British update his OCI status on Aadhar card. Simply put aadhar card does help one quickly get essentials done eg sim card, paytm activation and lot more. Given the rule of 182 days for fresh application for OCI, i want to be certain whether furnishing a previously held card is illegal or not. I'm presently in India and have discussed this with Aadhar authorities. They would get back to me in 10 days time, hence thought would check if anyone has done this before.

Primary utility of Voter Id card is for voting and until some time back it was required for passport applications. However, for an OCI its irrelevant since OCI does not have the right to vote. If some one does try using it to vote and is caught, {as i'm pretty sure once OCI is granted they must be updating the voter lists,} they are to be blamed themselves.

Thanks
Hi

Thanks for the information. Just one correction based on what I have validated is that any person (indian or foreign national) who is resident in India for more than 182 days can apply for Aadhar. It's not restricted to Indian Citizens only.